Archive for July, 2012
Is there anything happening in the world apart from the Olympics…?
Some countries did not understand the opening ceremony – but I did. There was no cultural divide for me – maybe because I grew up in the British Commonwealth, I like history and I studied English literature.
This was an opening ceremony that was not based on pure flash – but some substance – and maybe we’re becoming a world of flash and bang that can no longer appreciate the subtleties of substance?! We’d actually have to think and reach back into history! What history? We know when Princess Diana died – is that not enough history for us?!
And isn’t it refreshing — to take a break from the divisive negativism of politics and watch the queen parachute from an airplane? (I know it was not her, OK.)
Did you see that? When I saw Daniel Craig striding into Buckingham Palace I asked my son, rhetorically of course: “Isn’t that Buckingham Palace?” (How would HE know what Buckingham Palace looks like inside? It’s not as though he hangs out there…with his buddies Will and Bea.) Still, on one level, my brain is telling me of course it’s prearranged!
Yet, with a place as inaccessible as Buckingham Palace (yes, I know they have tours) I was shocked to see Craig striding so casually, so arrogantly James Bond into the palace…then I saw the two dogs and I’m like – “Oh yes, those are definitely the Queen’s Corgis (not that I’d recognize a Corgi even if it came up and bit me on the you know…er, leg).
So Mr. Bond finally meets Her Majesty after years in her loyal service! With that piece of acting I finally hand it to him – you ARE James Bond, Mr. Craig. When he glanced out of the helicopter, we are checking with him as he scans the area for spies and bad guys, (can you hold while I go look at that clip again?) Ooooh, Craig. So ruggedly handsome, those chiseled features. Sigh…
Isn’t England be-yoo-ti-ful from the air?
By golly, I spent almost a year in London (I have family there) and I just looove London. Seeing it from the air, the landmarks, the Thames – wonderful. And the British countryside – (just all of Europe, really, except wild areas like the Alps) – look so cultivated, so polite, fields so neatly trimmed, everything so stiff upper lip, so under control not even the trees dare misbehave!
I think The Olympic Games are probably the best TOURISM exposure any country can get. It’s like a showcase for the world with the host country at its best.
I knew my old colonial master would not disappoint in terms of pageantry. That’s the city where every day there’s pageantry to change some guards, for heaven’s sake! Yea, yea…Britain exploited its colonies…and those beautiful buildings were built with our manpower and wealth, but many of us still cling to fond memories of singing, proudly: “God save the Queen” with it’s line “long to reign over us…” and other patriotic songs like: “Rule, Britannia! Rule the waves: Britons never will be slaves”. See the irony? Slaves and descendants of slaves singing that Britain, their colonial master: never, never, never will be slaves — like us, the singers!
Anyway, Britain has a soft spot in my heart, most of the time – until I dwell on Republicans (but that’s for after the Olympics!).
For now, in my Olympic stupor, I loooved the parts of the Opening Ceremony featuring the transition from the Agrarian society to the Industrial Revolution. I love reading about the early centuries, long before any of the modern conveniences we now take for granted were invented…back when castle floors were covered with rushes.
When the Normans conquered England in 1066 (Battle of Hastings) they solidified their customs like the Feudal System which William the Conqueror used to govern England. Did you know that William built the Tower of London – used French builders ’cause he did not trust the British?
Under the Feudal System (9-15th centuries) there were:
- Lords – noblemen who held land
- Vasssals – promised homage and fealty (including military service, Knights) to their Lords who allowed those Vasssals to work the land
- Fiefs – the land. Became hereditary (to the eldest son) in the 11th and 12th centuries.
From the feudal system through the Middle Ages to the European Renaissance (14-17 centuries) to the Industrial Revolution (1750-1850) it is fascinating to read about the evolution of British society, from women being considered chattel with absolutely NO rights to the election of a British female Prime Minister.
Before women could inherit property, marriage was the retirement plan. Thus Elizabeth Bennet’s mother in Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen) had to ensure her daughters married and married well enough to take care of her and other family members, especially daughters, after the death of the husband/father. The life of kids, especially poor kids, was dismal as we see in Charles Dickens portrayal of child labor (from personal experience) in Victorian England….
Most romance readers are familiar with the Regency era (between the Georgian and Victorian reigns) under Britain’s Prince Regent (later George IV), which romance writers love so much. About this time, the Upper Ten Thousand, the glamorous cream of British Aristocracy and affluence, the “Ton” started factoring LOVE as a prerequisite for marriage.
Until then, marriage among Britain’s upper classes and the privileged was essentially a business arrangement between families and consenting and sometimes not so-consenting parties! (The seedier sides of British society: extreme poverty of the lower classes, child labor, prostitution, etc were unacknowledged…yet the poor had more freedom to marry for love!)
I looked at the opening ceremony and saw shades of the England of Charles Dickens and Jane Austen.
The melting ore reminded me of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Tolkien and when those Olympic Rings were “forged” I thought: London is the Lord of the Rings…!
I shall be watching the games. I love Gymnastics (mostly the women) including Rhythmic, Track & Field, Swimming/Diving. Guess I will have to watch Dressage to see if the Romney’s horse wins! The one he claimed 77-thousand-dollars for as a tax deduction, I guess!
And weren’t those Chinese smart – waving two flags – the Chinese flag and the British flag. Nice Public Relations coup, China…
And thanks NBC – your footage is spectacular!!! What’s with that Comcast marriage – I’m NOT getting XFINITY – to heck with that!!!
“If diplomacy were an Olympic sport, Romney would most certainly not be taking home the gold.”
Best line from an article I read about presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s foreign policy boosting experience…to London.
(To create Foreign Policy credentials for a green presidential candidate)
Presidential candidates (at least one)
Foreign policy credentials (will need to be created)
Foreign policy hand-outs
Assorted grooming tools
Perfect hair, teeth
Personal money (millions)
Clothing (top of the line)
Private jet. (First class if funds are low)
Major event (Olympic games, a war)
Huge campaign contributions
Mouth (at least two)
Storm of controversy
Foreign languages (optional)
Consistency of opinion
Positions on issues (at least 2 on everything)
Criticism of other candidate
Book: “Tips On Annihilating The Opposition” by Ree Publican
Hand briefcase of foreign policy handouts to candidate about a month before travel. Keep candidate AWAY from press while he/she brushes up on issues/geography. Brief candidate daily as needed and hold mock debates with candidate weekly, as needed.
Put on ice. Keep candidate frozen, out-of-touch with foreign policy issues. After 6 months, thaw candidate, proceed to instructions below. Dress newly defrosted candidate in top-of-the line designer clothing. Groom candidate to look successful, polished, suave. Hand candidate over to handlers.
Take suave, well-groomed newly de-frosted presidential candidate with no foreign policy experience…and examine closely for flaws. Ensure hair/teeth are perfect. (Candidate may remain looking frozen, but this cannot be helped.)
If you find anything that might potentially damage your candidate, NOW is the time to sweep it under the rug, bury it or pay people off – NEVER, ever admit or confess to anything from this time forward.
Research world situations and decide which country/nations candidate should visit. Carefully choose a foreign country where your candidate will be accepted. (several countries best), preferably U.S. allies, like Britain. Ideally you need a major event like the Olympics or a war, like Afghanistan.
Use candidates large personal fortune or campaign donations to secure a private jet. (Good for privacy – in case candidate makes an un-presidential, off-color joke, say about poor people or race or gender.) INFORM MEDIA and bundle candidate off to foreign country with much fan-fair.
Land in country. Add interview designed to boost your foreign policy credentials back home. Quote from folder of embarrassing comments (after promising handlers you will NEVER read that folder again!). Speak English as a Foreign Language and use one of your mouths to throw in a couple of doozies denigrating your host country. Stir in storm of controversy then mix in a handful of changing opinions and use your other mouth to retract what you said.
Dust candidate with a bucket of likeability, personality, and diplomatic skill and consistency of opinions. Add a cup of expression softener.
PACK candidate into a box labeled controlling your interviews and public appearances, shove in the freezer and jet off to next location.
Thaw candidate half-hour before landing at next destination. Review positions on issues, decide which one to use in that country.
Repeat above for each country on candidate’s itinerary.
On jet returning to America, read book: “Tips On Annihilating The Opposition” by Ree Publican.
When you get home, criticize opponents for their LACK of foreign policy experience.
First Columbine (1999) 2 students open fire in their high school killing 12 students and a teacher and injuring 21. Now a 24-year-old gunman opens fire in a crowded movie theater (July 20, 2012), killing 12 and wounding 58.
Now the media is beginning to TRY to paint the 24 year-old gunman as “Psychotic.”
Of course he is Psychotic…the only murderers who:
- Have NO diminished capacity
- No psychoses
- No mental illness
- No childhood traumas
Are those black kids running around the inner city shooting other kids because the offending kid stepped on the gunmen’s unlaced sneakers. Sound unhinged to you? Of course not!
To me these kids are definitely deranged – with so little regard for human life that they will kill you just for looking at them. But to the media and the rest of society these hopelessly misguided kids are just wicked, UNCARING monsters with NO sense of right and wrong.
How many murders from gun violence this year in Boston?
According to the Boston Police figures, so far this year, as of July 15, 2012, there have been 12 gun homicides in Boston. (For 2011 it was 22.)
This ONE murderer killed 12 IN ONE GO – but we’re (well, NOT we) the media is beginning to paint him as this good kid who suddenly snapped. Of course! He was Jesus’s protégé until Satan managed to wrestle him out of Jesus’ arms! Then when he fell from Grace he bought 6 thousand rounds of ammunition including:
- 3,000 rounds of .223-caliber ammunition for his AR-15-type Smith and Wesson
- 3,000 rounds of .40-caliber ammunition for the Glock handguns
- 300 rounds for the shotgun.
- He concocted his arsenal
- He jammed the movie theater exit
- He used a chemical to demobilize his victims
- He bobby-trapped his apartment
- According to neighbors, Holmes apparently set music on a timer to start and end coinciding with his shooting spree
- Luckily police did not go to his apartment to ask him to turn down the music, for IF THEY HAD OPENED THAT DOOR…
- EVERYONE in that apartment building, including the police, would have likely been blown to bits and/or be injured
- AND, most importantly, HE DID NOT KILL HIMSELF, though!
I looked up the meaning of Psychotic:
Psychosis has its roots in ancient Greek. (psyche – mind/soul and osis – abnormal condition or derangement.). It means an abnormal condition of the mind and is a generic psychiatric term for a mental state often described as involving a “loss of contact with reality.” This loss of contact with reality usually includes delusions: false beliefs about what is taking place or who one is and hallucinations: Seeing or hearing things that aren’t there.
Aurora, Colorado gunman Mr. James E. Holmes is about as psychotic as a pineapple! But you will get a parade of people who will likely testify that they ate pineapple and it gave them indigestion!!!
And of course some pricey lawyer will INSIST that he’s psychotic unlike the inner city kid who grew up in a dysfunctional home who at age five was watching his mother doped on crack with a parade of Johns coming in day and night.
Said lawyer will come up with instances where Mr. Holmes’ parents were busy working at their high-paying jobs or his girlfriend broke up with him or his studies were overwhelming – poor James!
Of course he is MORE psychotic than the kid who grows up hating the johns who beat his mother or the alcoholic father who beat him, the system who looked the other way or put him in a foster home where he was abused even more…
Of course he’s MORE psychotic that the kid who bottled his rage inside, who knows NO values, who has NO hope…
Of course he is MORE psychotic than the kid who has no fancy lawyer.
We can go into many lives, including mine, and find periods where we were freaking psychotic…
But NEVER have you heard a psychotic defense in an inner city shooting, HAVE YOU? Apparently poor people don’t get psychotic. Nor black people. Not even O.J. Simpson was psychotic!
But every darn time it happens from some white enclave, involving some white shooter – the person is always PSYCHOTIC, SUFEERING FROM BIPOLAR DISORDER, MENTALLY USNTABLE!
It’s almost as if when these black shooters shoot – it’s justified by pulling out stereotypes and mental images and concluding: Hey, black, what do you expect…meaning they’re ALL the same. Bad, rotten to the core. No hope there.
But when these white shooters shoot – these same people can’t bear to justify the white shooter is just plain wicked, because it’s a poor reflection on the race — so they prefer to say: He’s psychotic. Meaning, WE ARE NICE, WE ARE NOT LIKE THAT, THIS ONE IS JUST FLAWED!
No, he’s NOT a flawed model. Sometimes he’s just wicked and angry and malicious.If we go back in history we will find many, many such flawed models.
The media, some MORE so than others, immediately started labeling Holmes as “Psychotic and mentally ill” WITHOUT EVEN WAITING FOR A MEDICAL OPINION. Holmes may well BE psychotic, I’m NOT saying he isn’t. I’m saying the media seem to think that there must only be ONE explanation why an intelligent child of affluent white parents will kill and that is psychoses. Guess everybody in the KKK is psychotic?
If you make excuses for him – do the same for others.
If you find things in his life, background that “excuse” him then find it in others…
I would suppose many of the people who shoot others in a fit of rage or on the spur of the moment like these misguided inner city kids are as “mentally ill” as this privileged upper middle class kid…
Let’s not forget that!
Some people are just wicked, PRETENDING to be psychotic, cold, calculating…and they live EVERYWHERE: Beverly Hills, ghetto, middle-class suburb – everywhere! And they come in all colors too! Whether it’s Uganda’s Id Amin, Cambodia’s Pol Pot or Germany’s HItler!
Ain’t no one race producers monsters – and the other produces psychotics!
Psychotic by any other name, still the same!!!
Monster, cold-bloodied killer, loser, hater, conman, great pretender, whatever…
Mitt Romney’s Venture Capitalist pal John H. Sununu went on a RANT in “defence” of
Romney and stirred up a bigger controversy by saying: Obama must “learn how to be an American!”
The former Republican governor of New Hampshire (1983-1989) also had this to say about OUR President.
- Obama comes from a “political-slash-felon environment”
- “Obama is a reflection of a corrupt political environment in his hometown of Chicago where “politician and felon have become synonymous.”
- Obama is practicing “crony capitalism” where friends and campaign donors are rewarded. (Unlike Jack Abramoff. Google Abramoff…and the LONG list of Republicans who went down in that corruption scandal.)
Of course this is the same John H. Sununu who ALSO said:
- “I do not support raising the minimum wage, and the reason is as follows. When the minimum wage is raised, workers are priced out of the market. That is the economic reality that seems, at least so far, to be missing from this discussion.” ($7.25 in NH)
So I ask again. Is THIS the SAME John Henry Sununu, Republican from New Hampshire, who as White House Chief of Staff (George H. W. Bush/1989 -1991):
- Reportedly took personal trips, for skiing and other purposes, and classified them as official?
- Who (according to The Washington Post) went on trips that “took him to fat-cat Republican fund-raisers, ski lodges, golf resorts and even his dentist in Boston?”
- Who chalked up one ski trip to Vail, Colorado that cost taxpayers $86-thousand?
- Who repaid over $47,000 to the government for the flights on the orders of White House counsel?
- Who reimbursed the government at commercial rates, which are about one-tenth the cost of the actual flights?
- Who paid the government only $892 for his more than $615,000 worth of military jet travel?
- Who said that his use of the jets was necessary because he had to be near a telephone at all times for reasons of national security?
- Who, after leaking rumors of financial difficulties in his family, traveled to a rare stamp auction at Christie’s auction house in New York City from Washington in a government limousine, spending $5,000 on rare stamps?
- Who then sent the car and driver back to Washington unoccupied while he returned on a corporate jet?
- Who had 45 newspapers ran editorials on HIM, nearly all of them critical of his actions…in just ONE week?
NO! It cannot BE that SAME John Sununu? He’s NOT talking about a: “political-slash-felon environment”
IS THAT WHAT HE MEANS BY LEARNING: “How to be an American.” I suggest the President PASS on that lesson. Er, thank you, anyway!
Now, the New Hampshire he’s referring to – is that THE New Hampshire that sits atop my home state of Massachusetts?
The NEW HAMPSHIRE where Republican Party members were implicated in the 2002 Senate Election Phone Jamming Scandal? Where the New Hampshire Republican Party hired a telemarketing firm for election tampering?
Republicans used a call center to jam phone lines of a Democrat Get Out The Vote operation. They made 900 calls in 45 minutes to disrupt the Democrat’s operations!
- In the 2002 Senate election, Charles McGee, Executive Director of the New Hampshire Republican Party was convicted of using computerized phone calls to “disrupt enemy communications” of a Democratic effort to get out the vote for their candidate running against republican John E. Sununu, Mr. Sununu’s son.
- It was one of the largest scandals in the state’s history. Sununu (Jr) was elected by about 19-thousand votes.
- McGee pleaded guilty to a felony and was sentenced to seven months in prison.
- Allen Raymond was sentenced to three months in federal prison.
- James Tobin, Regional Director of the Republican Senatorial Committee was also convicted, but then reversed on appeal.
- Sununu’s SON, John Edward Sununu narrowly won that 2002 election but he LOST after ONE term to Democrat Jeanne Shaheen in 2008.
ARE REPUBLICANS CRAZY?
Mr. Sununu (Sr.) please visit stateintegrity.org to see how YOUR state, NEW HAMPSHIRE, stacks up to President Obama’s state, LLINOIS.
SHOCK, GASP, DOUBLE GASP AND AWE!!!
Your lily-clean New Hampshire is getting a D grade with a Score of 66 and a Rank of 34, out of the 50 states.
Big, bad, gansta Illinois is getting a C!
(So you’ll KNOW what you’re saying next time you put your granite foot in your mouth) Georgia is the worst state – with an overall F grade and 50 rank. Maine, next door to New Hampshire, is one of the states to get an F from The Center for Public Integrity (CPI) for: failure to adhere to basic standards of transparency and political integrity.
The criteria by which the CPI graded each state included the level of explicit favoritism, cronyism, and general contempt for their own laws exercised by state legislators and politicians.
Much of the CPI’s State Integrity Investigation, the first of its kind, emphasized that an overwhelming amount of America’s states lack the legal mechanisms to enforce laws that would otherwise curb internal corruption — leaving an abundance of local channels through which the ethically questionable can exercise their favorite species of fraud.
New Hampshire: Corruption Risk Report Card
Overall Grade: D. 66% — Rank among 50 States: 34
|Public Access to Information||F||Political Financing||D|
Illinois: Corruption Risk Report Card
Overall Grade: C. 74% — Rank among 50 States: 11
|Public Access to Information||B-||Political Financing||C+|
July 17, 2012: New Hampshire Employment Security Commissioner Tara Reardon resigned amid allegations that she hired her daughter as an intern, then had her laid off in order to receive unemployment benefits.The situation has focused attention on New Hampshire’s ethics laws, which are weaker than those of many other states.
Reardon’s husband is Jim Bouley, mayor of Concord and a longtime lobbyist–>Bouley is partners with Mike Dennehy, the senior Republican political strategist–>Dennehy is friendly with both Republican candidates for governor: front-runner Ovide Lamontagne and rival candidate Kevin Smith.
Massachusetts: Corruption Risk Report Card
Overall Grade: C — 74% — Rank among 50 States: 11
|Public Access to Information||F||Political Financing||B|
Sununu says: “The American dream seems more about waking up every morning and knowing that the government is going to provide free education, free school lunches and a college education, a guaranteed job with healthcare, paid vacations and 99 weeks of unemployment if it turns sour.”
NO, No, NO, Mr. Sununu, that is NOT the American dream. That is an American Nightmare that many people find themselves in right now…thanks in part to an intransigent bunch of Republicans in Congress who have done NOTHING but say “NO!”
The American Dream is what Romney has:
- An 11-acre $15-million New Hampshire summer vacation estate, with boathouse.
- A $12-million (2008) California mansion at La Jolla that he plans to break down and rebuild. NEW 11,000 sq ft home has it’s OWN lobbyist — to navigate through California’s complicated bureaucracy.
- Bank accounts in Switzerland, Bermuda, Caymans, Luxemburg etc.
- To be a millionaire and pay LESS in taxes than the middle class.
- Claiming 77-thousand dollars as a Tax Deduction for his horse, like Romney did.
- Wearing a thousand-dollar blouse, like Mrs. Romney.
- Having your Gross Adjusted Income at 22 million, like Romney in 2010.
- Maid service at your various homes.
- Several cars for which you need split-level elevators.
- etc, etc
Now THAT, Mr. Sununu is the AMERICAN DREAM.
Oh yes…and becoming President!
Remember I told you that Romney will SAY anything, do ANYTHING to further his political ambitions? Well here’s how I’m breaking it down:
Mitt Romney left Bain in 1999…went to the Olympics, asked Congress for a huge Taxpayer Bailout (the kind he NOW hates), propped up the Olympics THEN decided it was an opportune moment to pursue his burning ambition, his ULTIMATE GOAL:
Reedeem his dad’s failure to become U.S. President in 1968 by ensuring George Romney’s son does get into the White House where Mitt Romney thinks he belongs. Look at me now, daddy! I did it for you!
And he’s been working towards this like the elephant that never forgets…
Did Mitt Romney have Massachusetts residency or did he have Utah residency…when he ran for MA governor in 2002? You judge.
Utah charges STATE taxes at TWO different rates.
Residents pay a LOWER rate and there’s a box you check off that asks if you are a resident or NOT. During his stay in Utah, Romney paid the LOWER TAX RATE used by Utah residents but he DID NOT CHECK THE BOX – he left it blank. (He MISWROTE).
But Romney can’t DENY that he paid the lower tax rate for UTAH residents. Guess he saw himself as a Utah RESIDENT…at that convenient (for him, NOT for Utah) point in time.
So he comes to Massachusetts and makes a bid for governor and Massachusetts democrats say: “Not so fast. Are you a Utah resident or a Massachusetts resident?” and Romney says: “I’ve ALWAYS been a Massachusetts resident!”. (Yep! Even when he was paying the LOWER tax rate in Utah RESERVED for Utah residents.)
Then he “FIXES” his calculated Utah “residency” mis-issue by:
- PAYING Utah THE DIFFERENCE between the taxes he paid in Utah when he used the LOWER Utah resident rate AND THE TAXES HE SHOULD HAVE PAID at the higher Utah rate as a Massachusetts resident. NOW he is a Massachusetts resident for REAL this time! (You and I could well have been charged with Tax Fraud, but the Massachusetts Ballot Commission accepted it.)
So say he paid a million dollars in Utah when he paid at the lower Utah residents rate…but now that he is running for governor of Massachusetts he gets a revelation: “Hey, I was really a Massachusetts resident all along, not a Utah resident at all, stupid me! I should have paid the HIGHER rate for Utah non-residents, which is 5-million, duh!!” and so he writes Utah a check for the difference. (My figures are just for clarification, I don’t know how much MORE he paid or what the amounts were).
Here’s what Ed Conard, former Bain Capital Partner had to say in a MSNBC interview (Sunday July 15, 2012) on UP with Chris Hayes):
- (After Romney left Bain in 1999 to head Utah Olympics) a management Committee was running Bain to try and transition from Romney to a new structure.
Now that’s a well managed company. So well managed that when the CEO left they needed a management committee to take over. Didn’t you hear…about the “management committee” over at Apple after Steve Jobs died?
Yeah, Apple’s was hush hush – didn’t want to embarrass new CEO Tim Cook! And don’t believe in that “orderly succession plan” at Microsoft after Bill Gates, either. Those are not REAL business like Bain.
- Conard says Romney’s name was on the documents as the sole owner of Bain and…they had a very complicated set of negotiations that took about 2 years to unravel. (Yeah: Bermuda and Switzerland and Mars and God knows where.)
(Not so busy. He found the time for “social trips and business trips that brought me back to Massachusetts, board meetings, Thanksgiving and so forth…” MEANING? For someone who seems to have forgotten his passing acquaintance with the concept called “truth” I need to ask what so forth means?
But NEVER with his OWN company Bain, where he held 100-percent ownership, where legally, ON PAPER he was the CEO. He was involved with all these others but the one that paid him the 6-figure salary, with a Management Committee struggling through paperwork for 2 years, HE NEVER CONTACTED THEM in those 2 YEARS!
NOT even by phone. NO advice – NO updates. Nothing! He just turned his back and left them to muddle through 2 years of transition by themselves? Do you buy that? And what kind of PAPER CEO is that, anyway? Is THIS how you want to run America, Mr. Competent Businessman?
IN THE MEANTIME, Romney was earning the 6-figure salary from Bain (plus dividends?) in 2001 AND 2002 for what? Just for having his name on paper as CEO? I’d like a deal like that, wouldn’t you?
So he was NOT running the company? ARGUE that fact. But CAN YOU ARGUE THAT HE POCKETED MILLIONS OF DOLLARS by gutting companies and sending jobs overseas? He’s not the only one who does that, no. But do you feel sympathy for the person who bullies your child because other bullies are out there harassing other people’s kids?
Guess Romney knew back them that the issue of “outsourcing of jobs” would come up 12 years in the future during his run for President! So he stayed AWAY! Or did it have to do with residency?
Just tell us NOW, Mr. Prescient Romney, WHICH one of you wins the election in November – so we can tune out and go do other stuff – like sit on boards! Maybe Romney should also forget about Vice Presidential picks and appoint a “Management Committee.”
UNDENIABLE is this: Romney PROFITTED from the “outsourcing” by banking his 6-figure salary and other dividends. Did he give that money back. Did he say: “I’m sorry. I can’t accept millions of dollars because Americans had to lose their jobs for me to make so much money?”
He did not. So why then come now and pretend that you are “da great businessman” who will SAVE American jobs?
Because he cannot run on anything else…unless he wants to talk about Health Care reform? Or Olympic Bail-outs, like the one he DID NOT WANT DETROIT TO GET, but Salt Lake City could?
Republican strategist John Weaver, July 2012: “There is no whining in politics. Stop demanding an apology, release your tax returns.”
Alabama governor Robert Bentley, Republican tells ABC News, July 2012: he believes in “total transparency” and wants Romney to release his tax returns to show voters he has “nothing to hide.”
Romney released his 2010 tax documents and his estimated returns for 2011.
Why release Tax Returns?
According to the Washington Post:
Tax returns offer information not available on the financial disclosure forms that are legally required of candidates, including their charitable deductions and use of tax shelters.
Tax information could be especially revealing in the case of Mr. Romney and his extensive investment income, which may be why he has been reluctant to release it.
During his 1994 Senate race, Mr. Romney called on Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D) to release his tax returns and show Kennedy had nothing to hide”. Neither candidate released his tax information. Such secrecy will not stand for a presidential nominee.
The identity of a candidate’s bundlers is similarly important. Campaign finance laws limit individual contributions to a candidate to $2,500 per election ($5,000 if you include the primary and general election campaigns), but bundlers haul in tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars by tapping extensive donor networks.
Knowing to whom and for how much candidates are indebted is essential information, of which candidates and their advisers are exquisitely aware. Yet under current law the only bundlers whose identities candidates must disclose are registered lobbyists.
That information is useful but insufficient: A CEO who bundles $500,000 for a candidate can have as much influence as the company’s Washington lobbyist. Why should this knowledge be kept from voters?
Yes, WHY Governor Romney? Romney has made a HABIT out of secrecy, evasions, saying ONE THING one way, ANOTHER THING thataway. He erased his e-mails when he left as governor of Massachusetts. He left with computer hard drives from the governor’s office. Questions arise over his residency and taxes… HE:
- Did it to Gingrich
- Did it to Santorum
Now he’s whining and crying….
Like candidate Mitt Romney told candidate Newt Gingrich, Dec 2011: “This is, after all, politics. There is no whining in politics. You get in a political process and you fight hard and describe the differences between yourself and the other candidates.”
That was a flip…do we hear a flop?
Remember the Mysterious Case of The Missing Romney emails, when he left as governor of Massachusetts?
It was legal for the Romney administration to spend $97,000 in public money to swap out computers and email servers, making sure that emails never got into the hands of the public, journalists, historians and, not incidentally as Romney himself points out, his opponents in the 2012 presidential campaign.
Reuters: “In the final weeks of Mitt Romney’s term as Massachusetts governor, his office sought and received permission to destroy 150 boxes of paper records of his tenure, according to documents obtained by Reuters.”
Remember too when Romney refused to release his tax returns?
MSNBC: …for a second-straight debate, Romney struggled to explain why he hasn’t yet released his tax returns. When he was asked why he won’t release his taxes now, Romney gave this striking answer: Because I want to win. “I want to make sure that I beat President Obama. And every time we release things drip by drip, the Democrats go out with another array of attacks.” (Just asking, but doesn’t that suggest there’s something there?
If he’s worried about attacks, then there is something to hide, right?) Romney also looked uncomfortable when he was told that his father released 12 years of his taxes in 1967. Folks, this issue isn’t going away. And whenever these tax returns come out — if they do — Romney and his campaign team have now guaranteed it to be a BIG moment in the GOP race. And it’s an unforced error by the campaign.
READ the story. LISTEN to the video.
Romney was FORCED to release his tax returns.
Washington Post: Mitt Romney’s tax returns (story) shed some light on his investment wealth
- Mitt Romney offered a partial snapshot of his vast personal fortune late Monday, disclosing income of $21.7 million in 2010 and $20.9 million last year — virtually all of it profits, dividends or interest from investments.
None came from wages, the primary source of income for most Americans. Instead, RRomney and his wife, Ann, collected millions in capital gains from a profusion of investments, as well as stock dividends and interest payments.
- Romney released his tax returns — nearly 550 pages, including the 2010 returns for three family trust funds and a foundation — in a bid to regain his footing in the Republican Presidential campaign after stumbling badly in last weekend’s South Carolina Primary.
In recent days, Romney’s GOP rivals have pressed him to make his returns public, arguing that it is critical for the public to vet his finances before the party settles on its nominee. The revelation that Romney pays a significantly lower tax rate than most wealthy Americans underscores his image as a multimillionaire financier, an image that some Republicans believe would hurt his chances in the general election.
- Pages and pages are devoted to foreign entities in which Romney is invested. Many are located in places like Luxembourg, Ireland and the Cayman Islands, all famous tax havens. None shows much income.
Monday’s disclosure marked the first time the former Massachusetts governor has released his personal tax returns. Though Romney has relied on his wealth to finance his political career, he did not disclose his tax returns in his three prior campaigns — not even in the 1994 Senate race, when he blasted Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) for failing to release his own taxes.
Did you WONDER WHY Romney fought so hard to keep his tax returns secret?
Nicholas Shaxson delves into the murky world of offshore finance, revealing loopholes that allow the very wealthy to skirt tax laws, and investigating just how much of Romney’s fortune (with $30 million in Bain Capital funds in the Cayman Islands alone?)
One internet site describes Grand Cayman as the: “Home and holiday playground of the rich and famous” where you will find palatial multi-million-dollar beach condos and villas owned by the world’s rich and famous.
(If you have THE MINIMUM REQUIRED $80-100 thousand-dollars lying around and want to stash it off-shore or you’re just curious, pretend to be Mitt Romney. Visit the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority.) If the link is broken, visit their website at: http://www.cimoney.com.ky/about_cima/default.aspx?id=34 or just Google them.
- Romney’s Bermuda company and other offshore accounts do not show up on any of Romney’s financial disclosures as a candidate for Governor, as Governor, or his disclosures in the 2008 and 2012 presidential campaigns.
- Romney was not only hiding assets in Bermuda, he was also hiding the fact his Bermuda company Sankaty High Yield Asset Investors Ltd. and Romney made millions investing in Stericycle a medical waste company that disposed of “abortion waste” from clinics and hospitals.
- Evangelical Christians and Catholics believe that “abortion waste” is human remains and should be buried, not disposed of like used bandages or syringes. They also deplore anyone who profits from abortions in any form.
- AP reports that Sankaty High Yield Asset Investors Ltd. “was not listed on any of Romney’s state or federal financial reports. The company is among several Romney holdings that have not been fully disclosed, including one that recently posted a $1.9 million earning – suggesting he could be wealthier than the nearly $250 million estimated by his campaign.”
Sankaty was transferred to a trust owned by Romney’s wife, Ann, one day before he was sworn in as Massachusetts governor in 2003, according to Bermuda records obtained by The Associated Press. The Romney’s’ ownership of the offshore firm did not appear on any state or federal financial reports during Romney’s two presidential campaigns. Only the Romney’s’ 2010 tax records, released under political pressure earlier this year, confirmed their continuing control of the company.
- His limited disclosures deprive the public of an accurate depiction of his wealth and a clear understanding of how his assets are handled and taxed.
- This story is not likely to go away until Romney releases his tax returns and answers questions about what those returns reveal. The average American does not feel warm and fuzzy when they pay their taxes and then see rich guys avoid taxes by taking money out of our economy and putting it in offshore accounts.
- Report: Romney made millions from investing in abortion related firm: Romney and his partners made $49 million in profits from that investment, in the medical waste disposal company: Stericycle.
As a flaming liberal elitist, I was thinking of coming around to YOUR side. I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt. Yes, I wanted to believe in “No, We Cannot”…
But I notice that you voted for a candidate who:
- Does NOT subscribe to the religion that you hold so dear. Now you hate Obama because according to YOU he’s a Muslim (among other things), BUT you now have a Mormon who believes that in 1820, at age 14, Joseph Smith. Jr, (Mormon Church founder), experienced his first vision, in which he was visited in person by God, the Eternal Father, and his Son Jesus Christ. (I don’t believe that, or some things in the Bible. Have not read Koran) and that is OK.
- And it could be TRUE. Thing is: Do Republican conservatives believe it? If you want to talk religion, between the Koran, the Bible and the Book of Mormon, WHICH are the most similar?
- Supports Abortion Rights when it suits his interests.
- Supports Immigration Reform when it suits his interests
- Believes in Global Warming when it supports his interests. (Believes it in his 2010 book: ‘No Apology’, but now is skeptical, no longer sure
- Implemented UNIVERSAL Health Care Reform (with a MANDATE which is now a TAX) and signed it with praise from Ted Kennedy, who was standing behind his shoulder. My Precious!
- And now we learn he made millions, yes millions, from investing in abortion waste disposal. Yes conservatives, YOU believe abortion waste is human remains and should be buried. Romney believes he should bury something alright – HIS PROFITS, in off-shore accounts around the globe!
Oh you got seduced by the glamour? Hey, we did too in Massachusetts, FOR A WHILE! Awww…don’t feel so bad…
- How are you going to VOTE FOR ROMNEY, ELECT HIM…then come preach to ME about how much you care about life when you elect, hug, kiss, embrace and defend someone who profits so much from the destruction of life?
- How are you going to VOTE FOR ROMNEY, ELECT HIM…then come try to convince to ME that you don’t like mandates.
Now I am confused. Are you saying that if I interchange “mandate” with abortion in a Massachusetts context, but limit it ONLY to Massachusetts, then abortion is fine?
How can you preach ONE thing, then compromise your beliefs in the interest of political and personal gain?
I’m afraid that I can’t stomach this type of hypocrisy. What would Jesus do? Would Jesus be pleased by this example that you are setting – with the ambassadors that you are? I don’t think so. Do you?
Are you worried at all about what the new Chapter is going to be in the Book of Romney!?
Has Santorum contacted you? Have you contacted him…? Do you remember that comment that hey, with a guy like Romney, best just vote Obama? What do you think about that now?
I’m sorry. But this is the bed you made….and I can’t lie (unintended pun) in it with you.
Want to see how the 1-percenters live? Check the photos on my HOME Page: CASTILLO CARIBE -a 60 million dollar home on Grand Cayman. How about it Mr. Romney. You could buy four of them! Obama, the elitist, could buy one-sixtieth (1/60) of one, maybe…