Archive for June, 2012
So the Supreme Court decides if America will have Comprehensive Health Care coverage – or not!
Is that what the Supreme court is for?
Americans are now beginning to view the Supreme Court as a politicized Institution…
- Guess it started in 2000 with Bush vs Gore when The Supreme Court gave us George Bush – cause it sure was not the people of America! It would have been better for ALL of us if the Court had stayed OUT of politics and sent the “hanging chads” BACK to the people of Florida. But I guess some justices wanted to give the job to a fellow conservative who’d then appoint more conservative judges, slanting the Court in an even more conservative direction.
- Then there was Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito mouthing “not true” at President Obama during the 2010 State of the Union speech. Obama was publicly criticizing the high court’s ruling removing corporate campaign spending limits. May the President was wrong to criticize the court (I don’t know if this is allowed or even in good taste) but I did not like seeing Alito mouthing off to the President so I’ve lost respect for him and his opinions.
We already KNOW that Supreme Court justices are appointed largely based on their political ideology (pretend it’s based on qualifications? Dream on!) and Alito is a Republican darling. He should have been smart enough to keep his mouth shut!
According to an article in the Star Tribune, a national poll (June 2012) shows the public overwhelmingly opposes how the court functions. Only 44 percent of citizens approved of how the court is doing its job, and 60 percent thought that appointing Supreme Court justices for life is a “bad thing” because it “gives them too much power.”
The Star Tribune article argues that “Federal judges are given life tenure to insulate them from public opinion, so they can protect minority interests and basic liberties.
But how many people should it take to come up with the final word on such questions? Our highest court is so small that the views of individual justices have a distorting and idiosyncratic effect on our laws.
According to the Star Tribune article…a 19-member court – roughly the average size of a circuit court – would be ideal. Appellate circuits are often divided between liberal and conservative judges.
Yet, it is rare that one or two of those judges consistently provide the swing votes on all issues when they sit “en banc,” or as a whole. Appellate courts of this size have proved to be manageable while allowing for more diversity in their members. More important, the power of individual judges is diluted.
Of course the Supreme Court is political
Another article, this time in the Washington Post, with the headline “Of course the Supreme Court is political” notes:
- It’s been more than 75 years since the Supreme Court overturned a piece of legislation as big as Affordable Care Act (ACA), and (the writer) can’t think of any example of the court overturning landmark legislation this big based on a principle as flimsy and manufactured as activity vs. inactivity…Overturning ACA would be a whole different kind of game changer. It would mean that the Supreme Court had officially entered an era where they were frankly willing to overturn liberal legislation just because they don’t like it.
- Justice Clarence Thomas’s wife, Ginny Thomas, has worked for Republican congressman Dick Armey, the conservative Heritage Foundation, and a Tea Party-affiliated group called Liberty Central, which has lobbied against the health-care law.
- Justices are increasingly selected through an intensely political process meant to insure that they don’t disappoint the party that promoted them.
- The people who serve as judges on the Supreme Court have been vetted by political parties, have often worked for political parties, frequently have loyalties to people in political parties who helped their career, and spend much of their time in Washington, where they sort into social groups they find congenial. They are, in other words, more…political than most Americans.
Meantime, is the Health Care Law SO BAD? Or have Republicans who’ve opposed the law FROM THE BEGINNING (partly to protect their business interests) driven the debate and latched on this for their own political ends?
According to a story from news agency Reuters, an IPSOS Poll finds: Republicans have dominated the political message on healthcare with calls to “repeal and replace” the law, condemned by conservatives as a government intrusion into private industry and the lives of private citizens. It passed in March 2010 with no Republican support in Congress.
- Fifty-six percent of people are against the healthcare overhaul and 44 percent favor it, according to the online poll conducted from Tuesday through Saturday.
- The survey results suggest that Republicans are convincing voters to reject Obama’s reform even when they like much of what is in it, such as allowing children to stay on their parents’ insurance until age 26.
- Sixty-one percent of Americans are against the mandate, the issue at the center of the Republicans’ contention that the law is unconstitutional, while 39 percent favor it.
- Americans are strongly divided along partisan lines. Among Republicans, 86 percent oppose and 14 percent favor the law and Democrats back it by a 3-to-1 margin, 75 percent to 25 percent, the Reuters/Ipsos poll showed.
- Democrats back the measure as an effort to improve the lives of Americans and essential to control spiraling costs that are undermining the country’s overall economic health. Healthcare expenditures in the United States neared $2.6 trillion in 2010, over 10 times the $256 billion spent in 1980.
- Overall, 61 percent of Americans oppose requiring all U.S. residents to own health insurance. Among Republicans, the percentage rose to 81 percent, and it was 73 percent among independents. But a majority of Democrats – 59 percent – favor the individual mandate.
- People who describe themselves as political independents oppose the law by 73 percent to 27 percent.
My answer to these “Independents” is: Go ahead. Repeal the law. Then after it is repealed, let some of them get sick. Then let these anti-health-care activists lose their jobs and get a part-time job that does NOT carry health care but pays too little to afford private coverage and too much to get Medicaid. Let’s see what you’ll do now. Hope John Boehner and other Republicans in Congress will help you out, come to your home and give you a big check or drive you to some clinic that he’s paying for!
Your stupid flimsy argument that all Americans should not be “required” to own Health Insurance — does that also come with a guarantee/stipulation that “All American hospitals and health care centers should not be “required” to treat any persons who “choose” not to carry Insurance?”
You can’t tell people – Oh, don’t have insurance – then expect them to get treated when they get sick? You’re upset because it’s like forcing people to do something? Well, Ha Holy Ha! How about NOT forcing hospitals to treat the uninsured…at YOUR expense I might add? Soon as 50-thousand non-insured people started dying every month because they/we have NO insurance – EVERYBODY would rush to get insurance. And there’d be a loud clamor for the government to pay for those who could not pay!
People are talking this nonsense because nearly everybody in America does have access to healthcare – IN ONE WAY OR THE OTHER! Many people just don’t go…
I saw this story on CBS about America’s shrinking beaches. They’re eroding. Experts blame stronger storms, rising sea levels, and beachfront development.
23 million people on beachfront property in America are at risk from flooding, storm surges and intense hurricanes associated with climate change. So some cities, like Ocean City, new Jersey, are building artificial sand dunes to protect the multi-million-dollar-homes. Ocean City spends $10-million every 3-years in beach preservation.
On the one hand, the Federal government has cut off millions in funding for beach maintenance but on the other hand, when storm surges damage beachfront properties — the GOVERNMENT covers the loss under it’s federal insurance programs. Government still pays…anyway!
And so it is with Health Care. THE GOVERNMENT STILL PAYS, anyway!!! Somebody’s getting that money – is it YOU?
In a Republican Presidential debate in January 2012 Mitt Romney said: He favored “self-deportation” as a solution to illegal immigration…
According to the New York Times: that position has been advocated for years by restrictionist and conservative groups and is central to tough laws passed in Arizona, Alabama and South Carolina, among other states.
Mr. Romney’s embrace of a strategy that would induce illegal immigrants to leave voluntarily places him squarely on the side of groups that want to reduce legal immigration and vigorously oppose any plan to give legal status to illegal immigrants, which they reject as amnesty.
Mr. Romney’s plan is to issue a card identifying legal workers, which they would submit to a national verification system at the time of hiring. After a transition period, Mr. Romney said, illegal immigrants who have no cards would not find work, and “they’re going to self-deport.”
The same strategy, under the name attrition through enforcement, was at the heart of laws adopted in Arizona in 2010 and last year in Alabama…
I live in Massachusetts where Mitt Romney was governor for one miserable term — so Romney can’t tell me or any body in Massachusetts that he is PRO any kind of Immigration Reform that will allow undocumented immigrants any kind of path to citizenship.
Not unless he got a revelation (a la Saint Paul) on the road to Arizona, AFTER he cinched enough Primaries to become the Republican’s apparent nominee.
Now Romney, like Republicans, realizes that he needs Immigrants to win! See, they never thought that these poor, downtrodden souls they were rejecting so inhumanely could affect them…and their carefully crafted outcomes!
Yes, yes, yes–Republicans – you’ve just realized, FINALLY, that you can’t win with only TEA PARTY supporters. Umm-hmn…there ain’t enough haters and bigots to set you on the throne. Most Americans, the ones I call the “Silent Majority” are not antiimmigrant. Yes of course it’s natural for citizens of any country to question large numbers of immigrants swamping their country.
But most Americans KNOW and REALIZE that the poor economy was caused by:
- Bush TAX CUTS that Republicans supported and STILL continue to support
- COSTLY wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
- A weak global economy
- And insecurity at home due to Republican intransigence and President Obama’s reluctance to TAKE THEM ON!
I don’t think ONE level-minded American blames illegal immigrants for any of those. (I’m not saying illegal immigration does not have an effect on the economy – it does. But illegal immigration was there too when the economy was humming along. It is only when things are bad that the pie shrinks and we start looking for someone to blame.
It’s like your cousin’s child you’ve been caring for over the last 2 years. But now that the factory closed and you lost your job, don’t blame the child for your hard times. It’s not because the child is there you got into hard times but it sure looks like the child is making it worse because a little now has to go a longer way. Of course you’re not going to blame yourself for not saving more…
So let’s not blame needy, often desperate people who come to America seeking a better life. If you lived in one of these countries where you’d have to comb through garbage to look for food daily , if you lived in a mud hut with a tin roof with an earthen floor (and I’m not thinking of native tribes who societies are adapted to their lifestyle, because I think these societies are often more emotionally satisfying than ours with ALL our modern progress and high suicide, murder and other crime rates. I’m talking about abject poverty were people live in shantytowns, favellas, ghettos)…
Would you not want to get to a country like America? How would you feel if you risked your life to come to such a country to make a couple desperate dollars to send home to your wife, parents and kids but when you got there people treated you worse than they treated their dogs?
Americans STOP and think. Don’t let heated rhetoric from pandering politicians influence your good judgment.
Should people continue to pour into your country unchecked? No!
Should you call people names because they are poor, come from different cultures we sometimes cannot identify with – or look different? NO! We don’t need to insult immigrants. We can have an intelligent Immigration Debate without making immigrants feel inferior. Most immigrants who are here illegally KNOW they’ve broken the law…you don’t need to rub it in. And most are not criminals either! Treat the criminals like criminals…and treat the rest like humans.
i think members of congress broke the law too when they deliberately faked Americans into waging a costly, brutal war in Iraq. But that’s fine because these lawmakers are Americans…
Have you checked the CBS 60 Minutes redo (June 17): “Insiders”, about members of congress like John Boehner, Nancy Pelosi and Alabama Representative Spencer Bachus, the former ranking Republican member on the House Financial Services Committee and now its chairman? These lawmakers reportedly enriched themselves by allegedly using inside information they learn while working on legislation to trade stock!
According to the 60 Minutes piece: In mid September 2008 with the Dow Jones Industrial average still above ten thousand, Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke were holding closed door briefings with congressional leaders, and privately warning them that a global financial meltdown could occur within a few days. One of those attending was Alabama Representative Spencer Bachus, then the ranking Republican member on the House Financial Services Committee and now its chairman
These meetings were so sensitive– that they would actually confiscate cell phones and Blackberries going into those meetings. What we know is that those meetings were held one day and literally the next day Congressman Bachus would engage in buying stock options based on apocalyptic briefings he had the day before from the Fed chairman and treasury secretary.
Yea, illegal immigrants are killing America! How many illegal immigrants bought or sold stock that day?
Didn’t you know that Republicans have vowed NOT to cooperate with the President until every illegal immigrant has left America! Well now you know…
But BEFORE these immigrants leave – their cousins/relatives, loved ones, co-workers, employers and FELLOW ETHNIC GROUPS – have one last hurrah: they desperately NEED to Vote Republican, to thank the GOP for treating their loved ones so shabbily.
- Because of course when Republicans call Hispanics names, you know they don’t mean regular Hispanics, right? They only mean those Hispanics who are here illegally right? OR do they…?
- Because of course when Republicans fight for Obama to champion Israel, they really love Jews and never paint swastikas on anything?
- Because of course they just can’t wait for their son to marry a nice Chinese girl and take her to their country club…
- And yes, they just love to have a black grandchild, like Obama, one who hopefully will NOT be born in Hawaii?
- And they really, really want gay neighbors at their B-B-Q?
- And a handful of poor people clutching the food-stamps Republicans want to cut?
Of course they do! They do – they do! For the next 5 months until November 06…they so DO!!!
Ever had a minor altercation with somebody on the train/in a crowd and you give them the evil eye/rudely push by/step on their foot and don’t say excuse me? Two hours later you walk into the doctor’s waiting room and there the person is, manning the front desk?!
That’s Republicans today…scrambling to kiss the (you know what) of the very people they SCORNED…Dream Act 2, Dream Act 2.0!
NOW that they’ve suddenly realized that they can’t win the election with just the white bigots who make up the Tea Party, they suddenly LOVE immigrant groups like:
Hispanics: Heck they probably now want to parade their Hispanic connections: “see, I don’t hate Hispanics. I have a Hispanic maid!”
Asians: “See the nice Asian kid my son goes to school with – he’s so smart. No, not my son – the Asian kid.”
Blacks: You notice they ain’t even trying? They can’t fool us no more! Their last try, installing a token black as Chair of the Republican National Convention (RNC) was a knee-jerk reflex to Obama’s election and that didn’t last long. It could not because it was not genuine.
- So Mr. Romney come now and tell me AGAIN why the governor who first wanted to unleash the Massachusetts State Police on Illegal Immigrants, PLANS TO DO NOW. When our current governor Deval Patrick took over from you, HE squashed that plan which even the State Police resisted!
- Yes, tell us what happened to the candidate who wanted to be MORE conservative than John McCain, who ridiculed McCain during the 2008 election campaign for McCain’s compassionate stance on Immigration Reform…
- Tell us what happened to the candidate who just months ago ridiculed Rick Perry for Perry’s Romney has previously badgered Perry for supporting in-state tuition rates for children of undocumented immigrants in Texas…
- Who threatened to make life so difficult for immigrants that they would self-deport?
- Where inside Mitt Romney is the anti-immigrant fire-breathing dragon who kow-towed to the Republican Party’s HARD LINE on Immigration and refused to support even The Dream Act?
- Where is Mitt Romney NOW on Immigration Reform? Er…er…um?
I KNOW….Mitt Romney is still revising his opinion on that issue as well…writing different scenarios on cue cards. One batch he titles: “Tea Party”, another batch: “Moderates” another batch: “Independents”.
He grabs the pile titled: “Hispanics”: throws the cards up into the air, and grabs one at random. And so Mitt Romney reads what THAT card and it’s his opinion for the moment…
He flies to an Arizona event, pulls the stack of cue cards entitled: “Minutemen” (self-styled “citizens Neighborhood Watch on our border”) throws them into the air and grabs one.
Wow, it clashes with the card he just pulled in Massachusetts, but so what? Who will know? Who cares anyway? It’s the economy stupid…
Yes…stupid…how “stupid” can STUPID be?
According to Wiki…the Reverend Frederick Kates, rector of Saint Paul’s Church in Baltimore, Maryland included Desiderata in a compilation of devotional materials for his congregation some time around the year 1959, .
When Adlai Stevenson died in 1965, a guest in his home found the Desiderata near his bedside and discovered that Stevenson had planned to use it in his Christmas cards.
Subsequently, the poem became widely known as having been found at Saint Paul’s Church of Baltimore – but confusing the date of the church’s foundation as the date of the text’s authorship.
In this age of political shouting…I think we can all do with the wisdom of the Desiderata.
Go placidly amidst the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its shams, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.
People who mistakenly think that a vote for Mitt Romney also means a vote for jobs…
…should also remember that Romney and Obama have completely different ideologies – and don’t see things the same way.
President Obama wants everybody to get along (possibly from his childhood experiences growing up half-black/half-white and belonging nowhere). Obama wants to please everybody, he wants people to get along, he wants to build consensus. I think he really believed that he could sweep into Washington and bring people together and he made us believe too…
I want to keep on believing, because WHAT ELSE IS THERE? Go on the way we’ve been going — Republicans on one track heading East, Democrats heading West on another track?
That would be fine if they were on the same circular track, BUT THEY ARE WALKING
ON SEPARATE PARALLEL ROADS – SO THEY WILL LIKELY NEVER MEET…unless both parties veer off track. But with “consensus” now being such a dirty word, especially from the Republican/Tea Party side that they’re targeting. going after and voting OUT Republicans who work with Democrats – I’m becoming less positive they will even TALK to each other and shout out a greeting anytime soon!
Yet for the sake of America and Americans – THE TWO PARTIES NEED TO MEET.
So again I ask you: Where do we go from here?
How do we make the right choice?
What do we look for?
We have TWO choices. Both of these men are presentable, have good/stable families which they appear to enjoy (I say appear because I don’t live with them) are sufficiently educated and capable.
The question for ME is this…
WHOSE IDEOLOGY DO I WANT TO LIVE WITH – WHOSE WAY OF DOING THINGS AM I MORE COMFORTABLE WITH – WHICH OF THESE TWO MEN DO I AGREE WITH THE MOST ON THE BIG ISSUES – AND WHICH WAY OF DOING THINGS can I live with FOR THE NEXT 4-YEARS?
- ON ABORTION CHOICE
- ON STOPPING UNNECESSARY WARS
- ON IMMIGRATION REFORM
- ON PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT
- ON LIMITING TAX CUTS FOR THE WEALTHIEST
- ON EDUCATION REFORM
- HEALTH CARE REFORM FOR ALL
- ON PROTECTING WOMEN’S RIGHTS
- ON PROTECTING GAY RIGHTS
- ON REGULATING BIG BUSINESS
- ON DEVELOPING CLEAN ENERGY TO SLOW GLOBAL WARMING
- ON CHECKING ENVIRONMENTAL DESTRUCTION
- ON SUPREME COURT NOMINEES WHO WILL GUARANTEE YOUR RIGHTS
- ON PROTECTIONS FOR THE POOR
- THE LIST GOES ON: ADD YOUR ISSUE
Obama is promising Jobs and the above – Romney is promising jobs and none of the above.
SO ask yourself:
- Do I prefer the Democrats take on these issues?
- Or do I prefer the way Republicans plan to address these issues?
Then MAKE your choice – because YOU ARE NOT VOTING FOR “Romney” the man or “Obama” the man. You are ALSO voting for their PARTY’S AGENDA.
- Would you like to see the Pentagon spend less on useless weapons and systems
- Would you like to cut programs for poor people like Foodstamps, subsidized daycare for poor/low-income working families, funding for after-school programs
- If you cut these programs HOW do you intend these people to survive, what do you do with those kids who will now be on the street at loose ends, the woman who will lose her job with NO daycare and No Foodstamps and NO subsidized housing?
Would you like America to intervene AND SEND TROOPS in civil wars in places like Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Egypt etc OR have you had enough of war/
- Would you like ALL Americans to have Health Care and yes, while it is EXPENSIVE, it is even MORE expensive when people with NO Health Care go to Emergency Rooms.
- If you prefer they go to Emergency Rooms – who is paying for it? YOU do – or did you not know?
- If you don’t want to PAY for it, are you willing for these people to die in the street outside th hospital?
- Do you want big businesses to constantly get tax breaks and move their jobs and bank accounts overseas to avoid taxes?
- Do you want the TEA PARTY in power?
What have Republicans done over the last 4-years TO PUSH AMERICA FORWARD?
- What did they do in 2009?
- What did they do in 2010?
- What did they do in 2011?
- What have they done so far this year, in 2012?
Please pick a Republican, any Republican: like Florida Senator Marco Rubio (the one Conservatives are trying to FORCE FEED down Mitt Romney’s throat as a Vice Presidential candidate) and ASK him:
- What have YOU and your party done to create a job…just ONE job…in the 4 years you were in Congress (collecting a fat salary, with comprehensive Health Care coverage (yes, comprehensive – the second Republican “Dirty Word” after compromise) and other perks?
Ask Republicans to tell you WHAT ANY of them has done in terms of:
- LEGISLATION that these congressmen supported?
- BILLS any of them pushed through Congress?
- FACTORIES any of them brought to their state/your state?
- Or the MEASURES they took to stop the train wreck in the Housing Sector?
- And the REGULATIONS they slapped on Wall Street/big banks to prevent another meltdown…since President Obama took office in January 2009?
Because some of us may not KNOW. And we’d LIKE to know. Because we hear Republicans TALKING a lot, CRITICIZING a lot, THROWING blame around – making a lot of NOISE, but we have NOT heard them saying: THIS IS WHAT I DID AND LOOK – IT WORKS!
So that when next we see these Republicans on TV talking about jobs, we’ll know that they actually did SOMETHING…instead of spending 4-YEARS TALKING about NO JOBS!
Republicans are all for creating jobs involving Iraq and Afghanistan. We understand that. NOW SHOW US THE JOBS YOU HELPED CREATE HERE, IN AMERICA!!!??? Between 2009 and 2012?
Don’t let people TELL you. check the figures FOR YOURSELF from the GOVERNMENT’S Bureau Of Labor Statistics. The department releases statistics (monthly/quarterly, etc) on the economy and jobs, including employment and unemployment statistics. When President Obama took office in January 2009, the national unemployment rate was: 7.8 percent. It’s now 8.2 percent (MAY 2012), ALTHOUGH:
- Republicans/an intransigent Congress are un-cooperative and blocking the President’s job-creating efforts
- The economy is still weak/sluggish
- Big business is sitting on its money with lackluster investing/hiring
- The Housing Industry is still in flux
- Europe is melting down…
- WHAT ARE REPUBLICANS DOING…?
Has someone asked Republicans: WHOM do you blame for the massive job layoffs in 2009? They happened just months after President Obama took office. He was probably still trying to remember which turning to take to get to the Oval Office.
Do Republicans blame Obama for those layoffs? Wall Street, the Auto Industry and Housing were crashing when Obama took office — happened under who’s watch? Outgoing Republican President Bush — or incoming Democrat Obama?
(Remember, President Obama did not take office until 2009, but don’t tell Republicans. They will argue Obama was president in 2008!)
Regardless. In December 2008 the number of unemployed persons increased by 632-thousand to 11.1 million and the unemployment rate rose to 7.2 percent. That was under President Bush!!!
Here are some figures from The U.S. Government’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (U.S. Department of Labor) during the time that Republican George Bush was President – Bush Administration figures!
2 million jobs lost so far in ’09
THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION: DECEMBER 2008
Non-farm payroll employment declined sharply in December, (2008) and the unemployment rate rose from 6.8 to 7.2 percent, the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor reported today.
Payroll employment fell by 524,000 over the month and by 1.9 million over the last 4 months of 2008. In December, job losses were large and widespread across most major industry sectors.
In December, the number of unemployed persons increased by 632,000 to 11.1 million and the unemployment rate rose to 7.2 percent.
Since the start of the recession in December 2007, the number of unemployed persons has grown by 3.6 million, and the unemployment rate has risen by 2.3 percentage points.
The unemployment rates for adult men (7.2 percent), adult women (5.9 percent), and whites (6.6 percent) increased in December. The jobless rates for teenagers (20.8 percent), blacks (11.9 percent) and Hispanics (9.2 percent) were little changed over the month. The unemployment rate for Asians was 5.1 percent in December, not seasonally adjusted.
These job losses OCCURRED in 2008 – as in – the year BEFORE President Obama took office in 2009.
The hemorrhaging of American jobs accelerated at a record pace at the end of 2008, bringing the year’s total job losses to 2.6 million or the highest level in more than six decades.
A sobering U.S. Labor Department jobs report Friday showed the economy lost 524,000 jobs in December and 1.9 million in the year’s final four months, after the credit crisis began in September.
The unemployment rate rose to 7.2% last month from 6.7% in November – its highest rate since January 1993. The steep annual drop in jobs marked the highest yearly job-loss total since 1945, the year in which World War II ended.
The total number of unemployed Americans rose by 632,000 to 11.1 million.
November, in which 584,000 jobs were lost, and December marked the first time in the 70-year history of the report in which the economy lost more than 500,000 jobs in consecutive months.
Under-employment at a record high
A growing number of workers seeking full-time jobs were able to find only part-time work. Those working part-time jobs – because they couldn’t find full-time work, or their hours had been cut – jumped by 715,000 people to 8 million, the highest since such records were first kept in 1955.
From the GOVERNMENT’S Bureau Of labor Statistics.
Substantial job losses in 2008: weakness broadens and deepens across industries Economy in crisis: bls.gov/opub/mlr/2009/03/art2full.pdf
Employment growth slowed in 2007 as housing troubles and problems with subprime mortgages struck construction and related manufacturing industries, while consumer-driven industries continued to expand payroll employment.
During 2008, poor economic news swept the Nation as each additional economic weakness proliferated and permeated into the broader economy. Across the board, economic indicators continued to plunge during the year.
The housing crisis broadened into commercial and heavy construction, deepening employment losses in construction and manufacturing and moving into housing-related wholesale and retail industries. Furniture and home furnishings, as well as building material and garden supply stores, were particularly hard hit.
Defaults on mortgages surged, especially for subprime loans.
Record-high oil and gas prices permeated nearly every industry during 2008 and affected consumers and companies alike, resulting in cash flow problems. Many companies tried to absorb rising shipping costs in order to retain sales; in turn, this cost-minimization strategy led to jobs cuts. Still, weak sales entering the holiday season pushed many retailers into further layoffs and even bankruptcy.
Mr. Boehner was in Congress then. John McCain was in congress then. Mitch McConnel was in congress then. Michele Bachmann was in congress then.
Unemployment rate spikes to 8.5%, a 25-year high, as 663,000 jobs lost in March. 5.1 million jobs have now been lost since the beginning of 2008.
Last Updated: April 3, 2009: 6:35 PM ET
Job losses continued to mount in March (2009) and unemployment hit a 25-year high, according to the government’s latest reading on the battered labor market Friday.
Employers trimmed 663,000 jobs from their payrolls last month, roughly in line with forecasts of a loss of 658,000 jobs, according to economists surveyed by Briefing.com.
For the first three months of the year, 2 million jobs have been lost, and 5.1 million jobs have been lost since the start of 2008.
More bad news…
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch)/Oct. 2, 2009, 4:26 p.m. EDT
Job losses accelerate to 263,000 in September U.S. unemployment rate rises to 9.8%, a 26-year high
The nation’s job losses accelerated in September, (2009) driving the unemployment rate to a 26-year high of 9.8% and casting a cloud over the incipient recovery, economic data showed Friday.
Nonfarm payrolls fell by a greater-than-expected 263,000 in September, the Labor Department reported. It marked the 21st consecutive month of job losses.
Since the recession began in December 2007, 7.2 million jobs have been lost and the unemployment rate has doubled.
Details of the report were almost universally dismal, with the number of unemployed people rising by 214,000 to 15.1 million. And of those, 5.4 million have been out of work longer than six months.
In December, both the number of unemployed persons, at 15.3 million, and the unemployment rate, at 10.0 percent, were unchanged. At the start of the recession in December 2007, the number of unemployed persons was 7.7 million, and the unemployment rate was 5.0 percent.
Review of 2009/Department of Labor
For all of 2009, on a not seasonally adjusted basis, the total numbers of mass layoff events, at 28,030, and initial claims, at 2,796,456, reached their highest annual levels on record.
Among the 19 major industry sectors in the private economy, manufacturing had the most initial claims in 2009 (1,137,106), followed by administrative and waste services (294,709) and construction (205,765).
Manufacturing also had the largest over-the-year increase in total annual initial claims (+266,796), with retail trade (+57,283) and administrative and waste services (+48,039) experiencing the next largest increases.
U.S. Department of Labor U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics/Monthly Review, November 2009
In the summer of 2009, U.S. payroll employment continued to fall as a result of the recession that began more than a year and a half earlier in December 2007.
The recession has been one of the most severe since World War II, with the unemployment rate jumping from 4.7 percent in November 2007 to 10.2 percent in October 2009.
However, as with other business cycles, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects that the economy will return to a path of long-run growth over the next decade.
Although the recession has had a short-run impact on the economy, the BLS expects that the accompanying slowdown in the growth of both productivity and the labor force also will have an important long-run impact on the economy over the projection period. (2008 to 2018)
As a result, the BLS projects a 0.8-percent average annual growth of the labor force from 2008 to 2018, 0.3 percentage point lower than the historical rate of 1.1 percent posted from 1998 to 2008.
As regards employment prospects in the next decade, household employment is projected to increase by about 13.1 million between 2008 and 2018, less than the increase of 13.9 million across the 1998–2008 decade.
This employment projection is accompanied by an assumed unemployment rate of 5.1 percent in 2018, 0.7 percentage point lower than the actual rate in 2008.
Note the TIME FRAME the government/Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) gives for the economy to “...return to a path of long-run growth”? A decade. 10 years. The government did NOT say over the next 2-years or even over the next 4 years. It said: over the next decade.
If Republicans can find someone (sane, credible) who expected the economy to start creating enough jobs in the last 2-years between 2009-20011, to replace the millions of lost jobs between 2007-2009 DUE TO REPUBLICAN POLICIES (including Tax Cuts ad nuseum and lack of financial oversight), please parade that person on TV for us all to see, because America, indeed the World, needs such a SAVIOR…and phenom!!!
Sane people understand that job creation and economic activity, especially during and following a recession, take longer than the time it takes to go through a drive in window and order a latte!
These Unemployment figures come from the Government’s Bureau of Labor Statistics. George Bush (2001-2008) Barak Obama (2009-2112) for MAY of each year.
- 2001: Both the number of unemployed persons (6.2 million) and the unemployment rate (4.4 percent) were little changed in May.
- 2002: The number of unemployed persons (8.4 million) and the unemployment rate (5.8 percent) were little changed over the month.
- 2003: The unemployment rate (was about unchanged) 6.1 percent in May; the number of unemployed persons was 9.0 million.
- 2004: The number of unemployed persons was essentially unchanged at 8.2 million in May, and the unemployment rate held at 5.6 percent.
- 2005: Both the number of unemployed persons, 7.6 million and the unemployment rate 5.1 percent, were essentially unchanged in May.
- 2006: Both the number of unemployed persons (7.0 million) and the unemployment rate (4.6 percent) were essentially unchanged in May.
- 2007: The number of unemployed persons (6.8 million) and the unemployment rate (4.5 percent) were unchanged in May.
- 2008: The number of unemployed persons increased by 861,000 to 8.5 million in May, after seasonal adjustment, and the unemployment rate rose by 0.5 percentage point to 5.5 percent. A year earlier, the number of unemployed persons was 6.9 million, and the jobless rate was 4.5 percent.
- 2009: The number of unemployed persons increased by 787,000 to 14.5 million in May, and the unemployment rate rose to 9.4 percent. Since the start of the recession in December 2007, the number of unemployed persons has risen by 7.0 million, and the unemployment rate has grown by 4.5 percentage points.
- 2010: The number of unemployed persons was 15.0 million in May. The unemployment rate edged down to 9.7 percent, the same rate as in the first 3 months of 2010.
- 2011: The number of unemployed persons (13.9 million) and the unemployment rate (9.1 percent) were essentially unchanged in May. The labor force, at 153.7 million, was little changed over the month.
- 2012: Both the number of unemployed persons (12.7 million) and the unemployment rate (8.2 percent) changed little in May.
Why haven’t REPUBLICANS worked with the President? Why have Republicans done NOTHING, NOT anything, not ONE thing to boost the economy?
The Republican agenda is NOT about job creation.
SOME PEOPLE THINK that Republicans are united in one thing only: Ensuring that Barak Obama is a ONE-TERM PRESIDENT. And if they support job creation and work to stimulate the economy and things get better, President Obama will be re-elected. SO THEY ARE CHOOSING TO SABOTAGE HIM?
Meantime, while Republicans adjust their blinders and work doggedly to DERAIL Obama, YOU – Joe and Jane American – are losing your job, your house, your hopes and dreams…
But AS LONG AS Obama fails, SO WHAT if the country goes down the drain in the process!?
Republicans hope you REWARD them for their excellent STEWARDSHIP by drinking that Kool-Aid and voting for them…
Boston’s annual Gay Pride Parade (2012) was on Saturday, June 09…
I had not been to one of them in years – so I thought I’d go and share the photos – show how we all just try to get along…
The Gay Pride Parade is part of “Pride Week” which runs from Friday, June 1 – Sunday, June 10.
According to bostonpride.org: Boston Pride creates change and progress in society by embracing our community’s diverse history, culture, and identities, promoting community engagement and inclusivity, and striving for visibility and respect in unity.
Boston Pride produces events and activities to achieve inclusivity, equality, respect, and awareness in Greater Boston and beyond. Fostering diversity, unity, visibility, and dignity; we educate, communicate, and advocate by building and strengthening community connections.
Did you know that:
The rainbow flag was first used to symbolize gay pride and diversity by San Francisco artist Gilbert Baker and the original was hand-dyed. It first flew in the San Francisco Gay Freedom Day Parade on June 25, 1978.
The flag consisted of eight stripes and Baker assigned specific meaning to each of the colors: hot pink = sex, red = life, orange = healing, yellow = sunlight, green = nature, turquoise = magic, blue = serenity, violet = spirit.
As of 2006, the rainbow flag consists of six colored stripes of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet. It is most commonly flown with the red stripe on top, as the colors appear in a natural rainbow.
The rainbow flag, sometimes called the freedom flag, has been used as a symbol of gay pride and gay rights since the 1980s.
Do you remember The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 better known as “The Stimulus”. It’s the economic stimulus package the 111th U.S. Congress passed in February 2009 and President Obama signed into law on February 17, 2009?
–It passed the House on January 28, 2009 (244-188)
Not ONE Republican in the House of Representastives voted for the 2009 Stimulus package, even though President Obama wined and dined them. Remember?
–The bill Passed in the Senate on February 13, 2009 (60-38) with 3 Republican votes: Snowe (R-ME), Specter (R-PA), Collins (R-ME.
Washington Times/Sunday January 25/2009:
House Minority Leader John Boehner, Ohio Republican, said the plan must include more tax relief before House Republicans will support the plan – Republicans are proposing returning up to $3,200 to tax filers, he said.
Of the $825 billion included in Mr. Obama’s stimulus plan, $275 billion would be paid out in tax relief, and $550 billion would go to new spending.
Republicans have said the stimulus plan, in combination with the round of economic bailouts approved late last year, would saddle future generations with $2 trillion in debt.
The 244-188 vote was not what Mr. Obama had hoped for. A week of presidential wooing — including a visit to the Capitol, a return visit to the White House by moderate House Republicans and a bipartisan cocktail party Wednesday night – did not yield a single Republican vote.
But there was ANOTHER Stimulus package…before this one. The BUSH Stimulus.
The Economic Stimulus Act of 2008. Back then, Republican President George Bush was in power. This one was NOT the Obama Stimulus package…it was the Bush Stimulus package, that came BEFORE the Obama Stimulus Package...and REPUBLICANS VOTED FOR THAT BUSH STIMULUS!
The Economic Stimulus Act of 2008, enacted February 13, 2008.
The Act congress PASSED providing for several kinds of economic stimuli intended to boost the United States economy in 2008 and to avert a recession, or ameliorate economic conditions.
The stimulus package was passed by the U.S. House of Representatives on January 29, 2008, and in a slightly different version by the U.S. Senate on February 7, 2008.
The Senate version was then approved in the House the same day. It was signed into law on February 13, 2008 by President Bush with the support of a majority of Democratic lawmakers, as well as a minority of Republicans.
The law provides for tas rebates to low- and middle-income U.S. taxpayers, tax incentives to stimulate business investment, and an increase in the limits imposed on mortages eligible for purchase by government-sponsored enterprises like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac..
Can someone REMIND Republicans that:
- In 2007, Obama was a CANDIDATE for president, (he announced his candidacy February 10, 2007) and George W. Bush was STILL president.
- The Recession started in 2007, under A Republican president, NOT President Obama.
- Although Democrats controlled the house (233-202) back then, House Democrats stepped up and voted FOR the Bush Economic Stimulus Act of 2008, (enacted February 13, 2008) to help the economy.
(The Senate was tied 49-49 with two (2) Independents. Dick Cheney was Senate president? Yes, remember THAT?)
- With The House now controlled by Republicans) NOT ONE House Republican voted for the Economic stimulus package presented by President Obama.
- And ask REPUBLICANS: WHAT DID YOU DO TO STOP JOB LOSSES IN 2007/2008?
ANSWER: They voted for and passed the Bush Economic Stimulus Bill.
THAT stimulus, naturally, was NOT a waste of money.
Republicans claim the Obama stimulus DID NOT WORK. Did the Bush Stimulus they voted for in 2008 work?
John Boehner has been representing Ohio’s 8th Congressional District since 1991. He opposed the Stimulus like he would a bat from hell. Boehner called the $787 billion economic stimulus package in 2009: the “biggest pork-barrel spending bill in American history.”
But Boehner did NOT stop his District from gorging the fat…!
Did he charge over to Hamilton County on his moral steed and challenge anyone who applied for or used Stimulus funds to a duel? Pray tell…
Boehner’s District got about $140, 000, 000.00 in WASTEFUL Stimulus funds…and USED THEM ON PROJECTS, just like the rest of America…
- Examples: $8-million for an Intermodal Center Garage in Hamilton County. The garage provide a direct tie to the Riverfront Transit Center and help construct the permanent infrastructure necessary to support the transportation system, development and parks that are a key measure to achieve the planned rebirth of Cincinnati and Hamilton County’s Central Riverfront.
- $5-million for The Banks Transit Center. It’s aim: to transform Cincinnati’s urban downtown waterfront into a vibrant and sustainable gateway to southern Ohio….with residential housing, specialty retail, restaurants, entertainment, office, parking, and hotel space. The economic impact of operations is expected to be $276 million a year, resulting in a total economic impact of over $2.7 billion from 2011 through 2020.
Here’s the List of STIMULUS FUNDS for Boehner’s District 08 (55)
|ODOT; Rehabilitation on U.S. Routes 27 and 127, and State Route 122||Butler||
|Monroe; BUT-Monroe Signal Project||Butler||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||83074|
|BUT SR 4B 3.50 (Phase 1) Construct Superstreet intersection at Hamilton Mason Road and SR 4B with associated widening on SR 4B, including tapers.||Butler||
|MPO Sponsored – Under Construction||83392, 76290|
|State Route 4 Bypass/Butler County||Butler||
|Middletown; BUT-CR 611-0.00 Sutphin Road||Butler||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86231|
|Middletown; BUT-SR 122-0.00 University Blvd.||Butler||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86233|
|BUT-CR 20-Various,Tylersville Road||Butler||
|Oxford; BUT-Oxford Path Multi-use path||Butler||
|MPO Sponsored – Awarded||86275|
|ODOT; Bridge replacement on State Route 276||Clermont||
|ODOT; Resurfacing on State Route 232||Clermont||
|CLE-CR-Various Various roads||Clermont||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86229|
|ODOT; Culvert replacement on State Routes 124 and 350||Clinton||
|ODOT; Clinton SR 380 Rehabilitation||Clinton||
|ODOT; State Route 72 Resurfacing||Clinton||
|City of Wilmington; Rehabilitation Main & Locus Streets||Clinton||
|City of Wilmington; Rehabilitation of US 68||Clinton||
|ODOT; Pavement rehabilitation of Interstate 675 at State Route 44 interchange||Greene||
|ODOT; U.S. Route 35 rehabilitation at the Interstate 675 interchange||Greene||
|Fairborn; South Maple Avenue Resurfacing||Greene||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86221|
|Xenia; South Detroit Street Pedestrian Enhancement||Greene||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86222|
|Beavercreek; Colonel Glenn Highway Resurfacing||Greene||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86223|
|Beavercreek; Creekside Trail Resurfacing||Greene||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86224|
|Xenia; East Main Street Streetscape||Greene||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86225|
|Greene County; New Access Road, Phase 2||Greene||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86226|
|Beavercreek Township; Valley Road Resurfacing||Greene||
|City of Fairborn; Dayton-Yellow Springs Rd Rehabilitation||Greene||
|Cincinnati; HAM-ORT Carrel Ohio River Trail||Hamilton||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||75856|
|Anderson Township; HAM-Kellogg Bike Kellogg Bikepath||Hamilton||
|MPO Sponsored – Awarded||80037|
|Phase 2 of the Hamilton Interstate 75 corridor improvement project||Hamilton||
|Cincinnati; HAM-Waldvogel RR Remove RR lines||Hamilton||
|MPO Sponsored – Awarded||84126|
|ODOT; Hamilton IR 75 Rehabilitation||Hamilton||
|Hamilton County; Banks Street Grid||Hamilton||
|Cincinnati; HAM-CR 71-4.10 Blue Rock Road||Hamilton||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86234|
|Montgomery; HAM-CR 256-3.20 Cornell Road||Hamilton||
|Cheviot; HAM-CR 457-15.00 Harrison Avenue||Hamilton||
|Springdale; HAM CR 614 1.48 Northland Blvd.||Hamilton||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86238|
|Blue Ash; HAM-CR 470-0.08 Reed Hartman||Hamilton||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86240|
|Springfield Township; HAM-CR 101-4.33 Galbraith Road||Hamilton||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86241|
|Deer Park; HAM-CR 101-11.32 Galbraith Road||Hamilton||
|MPO Sponsored – Under Construction||86242|
|Sharonville; HAM-CR 272-1.03 Mosteller Road||Hamilton||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86246|
|Cincinnati; HAM-Computerized Traffic Control System -Various Traffic cable||Hamilton||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86247|
|Amberley; HAM-CR 101-9.79 Galbraith Road||Hamilton||
|MPO Sponsored – Under Construction||86284|
|Terrace Park; HAM-US 50-34.40 Wooster Pike||Hamilton||
|MPO Sponsored – Awarded||86287|
|Hamilton County; Riverfront Intermodal Center Phase 2/ Banks Transit Center||Hamilton||
|Glendale; HAM-CR 235-3.76 Sharon Road||Hamilton||
|MPO Sponsored – Awarded||86511|
|Addyston; HAM-CR 200-0.04 Main Street||Hamilton||
|MPO Sponsored – Awarded||86519|
|HAM CR 659 4.92 Vine St. St. Pavement Rehab||Hamilton||
|MPO Sponsored – Under Construction||87070|
|ODOT; District-wide bridge painting||Multi||
|ODOT; State Route 732 Resurfacing||Preble||
|ODOT D8; US 40 Culvert Reconstruction||Preble||
|Springboro; SR 73 & SR 741 Signal Upgrades||Warren||
|MPO Sponsored – Under Construction||86227|
|Franklin; Franklin-Trenton Road Resurfacing||Warren||
|MPO Sponsored – Awarded||86228|
|WAR-CR 15-0.00 Columbia Road||Warren||
|MPO Sponsored – Awarded||86239|
|Mason; WAR-CR 110-0.39 Kings Island Dr.||Warren||
|MPO Sponsored – Authorized||86248|
|City of Spingboro; Franklin Rd Rehabilitation||Warren||
Stimulus-Funded Construction on
Ohio’s Highways nets 8000 Jobs in June
$10.5 million in paychecks, 1300 new workers reported in single month
COLUMBUS (Wednesday, July 28, 2010) – During the same month that President Obama visited Ohio to mark the start of the nation’s 10,000th road project paid for by the Recovery Act, more than 8000 construction workers had jobs on Ohio’s stimulus-funded transportation projects in June, according to preliminary figures collected by the Ohio Department of Transportation.
Monthly reports from Ohio’s contractors show that 8,335 workers were paid with stimulus funds last month – mostly working on highway, bridge and pedestrian/bicycle construction projects across the state. That’s a 19 percent increase from the month before, when contractors reported nearly 7,000 jobs in May.
Republicans are NOW hoping you have forgotten their intransigence, their blockade of this president WHOM Americans elected BECAUSE:
- OF THE NEGATIVE/DIVISIVE TONE/HATRED RE IMMIGRANTS, RACE, GAYS…?
- VOTERS WERE FED UP WITH REPUBLICAN WAR-MONGERING
- AMERICANS THOUGHT THE U.S. WAS HEADED IN THE WRONG DIRECTION
- OF REPUBLICAN SCANDAL AFTER SCANDAL (eg: Firing Justice Department lawyers who would not go after Democrats on personal vendettas?)
- THE GOP INSISTED ON BUSH TAX CUTS FOR THE WEALTHIEST
- OF AMERICA’S NEGATIVE IMAGE OVERSEAS
- PEOPLE WHO DISAGREED WITH THEM WERE BRANDED “UNPATRIOTIC”
- THE ECONOMY WAS TANKING FAST
- THE “MISSION” IN IRAQ WAS NOT “ACCOMPLISHED”
- BECAUSE DICK CHENEY, DONALD RUMSFELD AND CARL ROVE WERE DRIVING SANE PEOPLE NUTS!
Republicans have their fingers crossed behind their backs. They’re wishing you’ll FORGET what living under Republican rule/George Bush was like. They FORGET too that up to now THEY HAVE NOT CO-OPERATED WITH OBAMA OR COME UP WITH VIABLE ALTERNATIVES EXCEPT THE RYAN BUDGET…which GUTS programs like food stamps and Medicare/Medicaid…while giving Tax Cuts to the rich.
They wasted 4 years and now ask YOU for another FOUR to fix what they did nothing to fix before!