Archive for August, 2012
I’m all shook up over Romney’s emotionalism!
Oh that husky inflection when Romney spoke about his mom not finding her rose…for a moment I was ready to rush to the podium and comfort him (well, I was at home in Boston, but so what…) and they showed one woman with both hands over her mouth. (I thought about it and concluded that she wanted to throw up!) The only thing I can conceive of worse than that is if Romney’s father had died in the Nine Eleven attacks!
Commentators were warning us IN ADVANCE to expect over the shoulder shots of the crowd as the camera focuses on highly emotional people (was this pre-arranged?) “reacting” to Romney’s emotionalism. And we were told to expect Romney himself to be braw…
Yes. The emotion was stage-managed On Demand. Well that is politics, especially for the Romneys.
I’m like “Oh Joseph Smith! Poor Mitt Romney. No wonder he’s so screwed up! Imagine growing up with something like that hanging over you! Just think, what if his dad had been shot before his eyes in Chicago where so far this year, 346 people have been gunned down and killed.
There have been 48, 856 REPORTED crimes in Chicago so far this year: Murder, criminal sexual assault, robbery, aggravated battery, burglary, felony theft and motor vehicle theft…and that is still lower than 2011.
Imagine if Mitt Romney had to deal with this kind of violence EVERYDAY. How would Romney DEAL with something like that?
The Romney’s want me to believe that they really, really are like me! Like us – the 99-percent. All day there have been a parade of people telling me how great Mitt Romney is – so that by now I’m thinking Mitt Romney should be the first Mormon saint.
- Saint Romney is the Mother Theresa of politicians.
- Saint Romney is the Savior of Massachusetts
- Saint Romney is the Patron Saint of Charity
- Saint Romney is the St. George of America.
First Ann Romney stands up in her elegant orange dress by designer Oscar de la Renta (similar dresses cost about 2-3 thousand-dollars) and talks to me, I…who cannot even afford to buy a Target dress at this point, about:
The parents who lie awake at night, side by side, wondering how they will be able to pay the mortgage or make the rent.
- I wish! I’m a single parent. No father, no money, no support. And as for a mortgage? Likely not ever.
And the working moms who love their jobs, but would like to work just a little less to spend more time with the kids, but that is just out of the question with this economy.
- Which JOB again is she talking about? STAY-HOME MOM. The JOB Mrs. Romney, her husband, Republicans and gullible democrats created a big fuss about when Democrat Hilary Rosen said Ann Romney never worked a day in her life? But obviously NOT, because then she would not say these “working” moms “would like to work just a little less to spend more time with the kids”.
So obviously she’s referring to the workforce, LEAVING the kids and going to work. The WORK she has never done a day of in her life? THAT work, huh? Yep. Ann Romney understands ALL about that work…because the last time she felt like leaving her “job” so she could stay home with the kids, she just could not AFFORD to do so. And her kids book reports suffered for it!
Or how about that couple who would like to have another child but wonder how they will afford it?
- Yes, Mrs. Romney. With five kids we know how trapped you felt when you realized you were pregnant again…and just could NOT afford it!
Sometimes, I think that, late at night, if we were all silent for just a few moments and listened carefully, we could hear a collective sigh from the moms and dads across America who made it through another day, and know that they will make it through another one tomorrow. But in the end of that day moment, they just aren’t sure how.
- Listen for that sigh – of the neighbor having sex in the thin-walled apartment next to you. I guess Mrs. Romney hears the waves sighing on the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire where she has her summer home or at her California beach house? She may hear the sigh of water from her outdoor shower (don’t want to track sand inside do you?) or the sigh of her 4-car elevator arriving in her 36-thousand-square foot basement.
- I can’t even hear a figurative sigh when my neighbor is blasting loud music.
According to Mrs. Romney, WE moms are the ones who:
Have to do a little bit more and you know what it is like to earn a little bit harder earn the respect you deserve at work and then you come home to help with the book report just because it has to be done.
- Is that what Ann Romney thinks single moms and working moms are worrying about? A friggin’ Book Report? I guess she worried about a book report when SHE was a single mom – but for the rest of us, who the hell cares about a book report when you come home at 6PM, pushing a stroller/holding the kid (or kids) you had to rush from “work” to collect at daycare (and try to be there BEFORE their closing time too – or get fined!) or from a friend’s house. If you’re lucky, said babysitting will be CLOSE by.
If your childcare is located on the OTHER side of town from your job/home (as it usually is!) this is the commute to depression! You get home, make dinner, settle kid or kids, prep for next morning and start the whole sorry process all over again.
Push a book report in my face – I DARE YOU child! See if I’ll “sigh” – or unleash a tirade which will scar you for life so you can BE the next Mitt Romney!
I am not sure if men really understand this, but I don’t think there is a woman in America who really expects her life to be easy.
- I understand, Mrs. Romney. Men are really stupid and clueless. But then again, YOU don’t need ME to tell you, Mrs. Romney. You are surrounded by men! And at least one of them…well…
But the last few years have been harder than they needed to be. It is all the little things, the price of the pump you could not believe and the grocery bills that just get bigger, all those things that used to be free, like school sports are now one more bill to pay. It’s all the little things become the big things. And the big things, the good jobs, the chance at college and the home you want to buy just get harder.
God I hate it when people patronize me! I can just see Ann Romney, with her 900-dollar blouse, worrying as she pumps gas that costs $5 a gallon. Well she does have several cars. Plus she worries about food. Look out for Mrs Romney when next you are trolling the discounted aisle with the items nearing their expiration dates.
Can’t you picture Ann Romney lamenting to her housekeeper how she now needs to pay for those no-longer free sports for her kids. Just because I cannot hear the collective sighs of dejected moms and dads – doesn’t mean I can’t sympathize with Ann Romney’s desperate, worried countenance as she sits in her state of the art kitchen, and her housekeeper pours her some Perrier – and said housekeeper eases Ann Romney’s head to her bosom while wondering if the Romney’s can afford to pay her wages this week!
As for Mitt Romney – who says “I’m an American. I make my destiny!” He should have added “and as a Republican, I arrogantly plan to make YOUR destiny, too. And yours in Iran and yours in Asia and yours in Latin America and yours in bedrooms across America!” Of course SOME people can make their destiny quite easily. Does anybody argue that Romney’s kids have a better “destiny” than the five kids of an absent father who live on the south Side of Chicago in a gang-infested public housing project? Rest assured Ann Romney can hear your collective sighs…
In Romney’s appeal to women, he wonders HOW we women get along when our kids fight or we wake up in the morning and discover a pile of kids asleep in the house. Yes, that is a big TRIAL the Romneys had to face.
(Romney your kids are well-behaved. Thanks to their fine upbringing, NO question there. I’m sure with 5 growing kids, no matter HOW much help you had, both of you must have been fed-up at times. But I doubt your kids FOUGHT. They squabbled.)
You want issues to sigh over? How about the first time your kid was suspended for bringing a gun to school or when the school found drugs in his backpack (like Trayvon Martin, the Florida teen who ended up being shot on the street) or that time when your boy set your couch on fire (like a kid I know did) or that time your child started running around with a gang or got pregnant, for instance? How about pulling a gun on you? Or a knife? Doesn’t Romney know some kids do that and MORE? Lie, cheat, steal your money, don’t go to school?
My son is well-behaved. And since I have ONE kid, there was no-one for him to fight with. But I have 5 brothers/sisters and I remember bedtimes were bedlam! But fun bedlam! And yes my mom was exasperated!
So count yourself LUCKY that ALL your boys did was squabble, Romneys! Closer to home, your political home, you should TALK to President George W. Bush (who despises your guts) and ask HIM how he FELT when his girls used fake ID’s to get drunk in bars while daddy was running the White house!
Then of course Mitt Romney likes women. (I’m not talking about love for his mom, wife and daughters-in-law etc. Yes he loves these people, I will give him that, wooden that he still is.) But when you take women OUT of this context in his life and look to the faceless, nameless women who are just CAPITALIST cogs to run his business wheels, MITT ROMNEY DOES NOT CARE A DARN ABOUT WOMEN.
He cares so much he did not even KNOW when the Obama Administration was fighting to secure EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK for women through The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009. He did not even know about the bill or what it was about UNTIL SOMEONE BROUGHT IT TO HIS ATTENTION, in April! 4 months ago! 3-years after President Obama signed the bill!
REPUBLICANS defeated THE BILL THE first TIME IT HIT THE SENATE in April 2008. (Did you expect differently? Still?) Republicans claimed that too many women would file “frivolous lawsuits” and they criticized Democrats for refusing compromise!
The bill was re-introduced in THIS 111th Congress in January 2009. It passed in the House of Representatives with 247 votes with only THREE Republicans voting in favor. Imagine that! Here is a bill that ensures that Women get paid fair and square for their work, including overtime, but Republicans will NOT vote for it then they turn around and tell you: “We love women, give us your vote” and gullible women go ahead and VOTE for them. Serve you right if one of the first things they DO if they win is repeal the Fair Pay Act along with Health Care.
Where does THAT leave you, woman? Low pay, NO Health Care…and NO control over your reproductive organs. Vote Republican and THAT is just what you deserve and more. And they will give it to you too – because they will dictate to you what to do with your ovaries and your vagina.
But if those issues are LESS important to you…go ahead, make my day. My ovaries are on the verge of drying up now, anyway!
And to Hollywood star Clint Eastwood, who spoke before Romney and hinted that lawyers don’t make good presidents. Here is a bit of History for you:
–John Quincy Adams
–Martin Van Buren
–James Knox Polk
–Abraham Lincoln (the GREATEST President?)
–Rutherford Birchard Hayes
–Chester Alan Arthur
–William Howard Taft
–Franklin Delano Roosevelt
–Harry S. Truman (Judge)
–Gerald Rudolph Ford
–William Jefferson Clinton (Balanced the budget)
Well now, I’d say President Obama has good company. But just in case you don’t want people with law degrees running the government, well, Mitt Romney has a first professional graduate degree in law – from Harvard Law School.
Republicans tried to sell me on Mitt Romney – and I’m not buying. Not even if I’m getting one free – Paul Ryan!
Can you see Paul Ryan as president of America – if Romney wins and God forbid, something happens to Romney? Oh dear God….
Since our two-party system makes provision for a Republican to also run in the race for President of America, shouldn’t that Republican BE Condoleezza Rice?
Condi versus Obama.
The Republicans don’t KNOW a good thing when they have it – the black male “rock star” president vs. the black female “rock star” former Secretary of State! And NOT just any female either, this is a woman who comes from the face of segregated America: Birmingham, Alabama.
Republicans should have gone in droves to Condoleezza Rice and begged, threatened, cajoled, seduced, threatened — maybe even sent former Vice President Dick Cheney to FORCE Rice to be their nominee. They could have with one GO broken the perception that they are racist, dismissed the notion that the reason so many of them hate Obama is because he is black and just sucked in the female vote. Va-va-vroom…
But NO. They had to go with the anti-Condoleezza. Pass on spicy for bland…
Can you envision a debate between Barak Obama and Condoleezza Rice? WHO would NOT watch? The WORLD would watch…
Republicans could have bagged Colin Powell. But NO. Condi and Powell DO NOT SIT WELL WITH the racist Tea Party arm now controlling the Republican Party.
Let us look at Condoleezza Rice’s speech to the 2012 Republican National Convention in Tampa/Florida August 29. All you’re getting is Ryan’s FLUFF shoved down your throat!
Rice starts by saying:
“We gather here at a time of significance and challenge. This young century has been a difficult one…
(She refers to 9-11 then adds) “From that day on…our sense of vulnerability and our concepts of security were never the same again.
Then, in 2008, the global financial and economic crisis would stun us. And it still reverberates as we deal with unemployment and economic uncertainty and bad policies that cast a pall over an American economy and a recovery that is
desperately needed at home and abroad.
(She goes on to refer to developments in the Middle East and what America should do about Syria and Iran) “Russia and China prevent a response, and everyone asks, where does America stand?”
So far I agree with everything she’s said.
America’s sense of vulnerability and our concepts of security will NEVER be the same again.
- The financial crisis did NOT stun me because anyone with an ounce of sense could foresee this coming. Some people were warning and urging caution.
- YES! We are still reverberating from the massive job losses and economic uncertainty that started under Republican rule with former President George W. Bush’s wars and tax cuts…and other bad policies. These policies cast a pall over America’s economy and the recovery that is desperately needed at home and abroad.
- And yes. Russia and China are blocking American intervention.
Condi says the world is asking: “Where does America stand? Since world war II, the United States has had an answer to that question. We stand for free peoples and free markets. We will defend and support them. We will sustain a balance of power that favors freedom.
She goes on to make the case for INTERVENTIONISM – praising the soldiers who put their lives on the line to secure American Freedom and then goes on to say the question of the hour is:
- “Where does America stand? You see when the friends or foes alike don’t know the answer to that question, unambiguously and clearly, the world is likely to be a more dangerous and chaotic place.” There is no choice, because one of two things will happen if we don’t lead. Either no one will lead and there will be chaos, or someone will fill the vacuum who does not share our values.
I don’t agree with her there on her method. Rice subscribes to the Bush Doctrine of Preemptive strikes (the one Sarah Palin had never heard of). Rice, (like Bush, Cheney, Bush’s Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and his deputy Paul Wolfowitz and many Republicans) believe that wherever around the world some dictator rattles his sabers, especially against “Freedom”, America should pull out her big guns and go bang, bang!
BUT, IF the rattling is coming from a huge powerhouse like China or Russia – THEN obviously we CAN’T invade THEM, so what do we do then?
NOW there is a FUNDAMENTAL question that Americans need to answer: HOW do you deal with Russia and China?
Romney and Ryan say THEY will haul China before the World Trade Organization. I’m sure that will work on so many levels. Because if you earn $200-thousand-a year, then borrow 20 million dollars from your neighbor and he’s holding your house and your cars as collateral, then of course the one thing you want to do is sue your neighbor.
Would you try to talk to him, bring him cookies, offer to watch his kids, kiss his (you know) unobtrusively of course, ’cause he’s got you over a barrel? A barrel YOU allowed HIM to put you over with your run-away conspicuous consumption which you could NOT afford? If you’re a Democrat you play nice. You hate to kiss his (you know) but you’re smart and you like your nice, big house and fancy car.
If you’re a Republican, you being the MACHO moron that you are, you tell your neighbor, the one holding your loan – “Go —- yourself!” And then sit at home and smirk as you imagine him renegotiating a new loan for you with a lower interest rate. That’s what Republicans expect. That they will step on your toes and you will be so grateful, you will still love them, because they are, well, Republicans! These people have NO concept of ACTION – REACTION. OF ACTION – CONSEQUENCE. (Naturally, they blame the consequences on someone else!)
Back to Rice:
- We must work for an open, global economy, and pursue free and fair trade, to grow our exports and our influence abroad. If you are worried about the rise of China, just consider this — the United States has…ratified only three trade agreements in the last few years, and those were negotiated in the Bush administration. China has signed 15 free trade agreements and is in the progress of negotiating as many as 18 more. Sadly, we are abandoning the field of free and fair trade and it will come back to haunt us. AGREE
- We must not allow the chance to attain energy independence to slip from our grasp. We are blessed with a gift of oil and gas resources here in North America, and we must develop them. We can develop them sensitively, we can develop them securing our environment, but we must develop them. And we have the ingenuity to develop alternatives sources of energy. AGREE
(Rice says Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will rebuild the foundation of our strength, the American economy — stimulating private sector growth and stimulating small business entrepreneurship…BALONEY!)
- When the world looks at us today, they see an American government that cannot live within its means. They see an American government that continues to borrow money, that will mortgage the future of generations to come. The world knows that when a nation loses control of its finances, it eventually loses control of its destiny. That is not the America that has inspired people to follow our lead. AGREE.
Now we see here WHAT substance IS! Yes she’s got her ideology – and I don’t always agree. But by gosh she’s got some foundations in her speech that BOTH parties can use as STARTING POINTS to a productive dialog – ASSUMING they want to?
According to Rice:
- You see, the essence of America, what really unites us, is not nationality or ethnicity or religion. It is an idea. And what an idea it is. That you can come from humble circumstances and you can do great things, that it does not matter where you came from, it matters where you are going. SO TRUE!
- My fellow Americans, ours has never been a narrative of grievance and entitlement. We have never believed that I am doing poorly because you are doing well. We have never been jealous of one another and never envious of each others’ successes. SO TRUE!
Republicans applauded here – because they’ve bought into the silly dialog that Romney and the other Republicans put forward to mask their questionable financial practices – the one that says those of us who question the Romney’s finances do so because we are envious. I can’t speak for everybody, there may be some who envy the Romney’s for their lifestyle. But I’m not envious. Just practice what you preach.
But Rice could also be saying: Stop your silly mouthing that criticism of financial wrongdoing is “envy” because until you came up with that nonsense “ours has never been a narrative of grievance and entitlement. We have never believed that I am doing poorly because you are doing well. We have never been jealous of one another and never envious of each others’ successes.”
- No…ours has been a belief in opportunity. And it has been a constant struggle, long and hard, up and down, to try to extend the benefits of the American dream to all. But that American ideal is indeed in danger today. There is no country, no, not even a rising China that can do more harm to us than we can do to ourselves if we do not do the hard work before us here at home. AGAIN – SO TRUE!
On Immigration Reform:
- More than at any other time in history, greatness is built on mobilizing human potential and ambition…People have come here from all over because they have believed our creed of opportunity and limitless horizons. They have come here from the world’s most impoverished nations just to make a decent wage. And they have come here from advanced societies as engineers and scientists that fuel the knowledge-based revolution in the Silicon Valley of California, in the Research Triangle of North Carolina, along Route 128 in Massachusetts, in Austin, Texas, and across this great land.
- We must continue to welcome the world’s most ambitious people to be a part of us. In that way, we stay young and optimistic and determined. We need immigration laws that protect our borders, meet our economic needs, and yet show that we are a compassionate nation of immigrants.
- We have been successful too because Americans have known that one’s status of birth is not a permanent condition. Americans have believed that you might not be able to control your circumstances but you can control your response to your circumstances.
STOP. RUN THAT BY ME AGAIN!!!???
- Americans have believed that you might not be able to control your circumstances but you can control your RESPONSE to your circumstances.
Oh Condoleezza – I love you. You get it. You really, really do! (Paul Ryan would follow Rice on the podium and shoot down everything Rice says here – but we know that Ryan, like Romney, do NOT GET it. )
- And your greatest ally in controlling your response to your circumstances has been a quality education. But today, today, when I can look at your zip code and I can tell whether you’re going to get a good education, can I honestly say it does not matter where you came from, it matters where you are going? The crisis in K-12 education is a threat to the very fabric of who we are.
- My mom was a teacher. I respect the profession. We need great teachers, not poor ones and not mediocre ones. We have to have high standards for our kids, because self-esteem comes from achievement, not from lax standards and false praise. And we need to give parents greater choice, particularly, particularly poor parents whose kids, very often minorities, are trapped in failing neighborhood schools. This is the civil rights issue of our day.
RUN THAT ONE BY ME AGAIN, TOO!
- “We need to give parents greater choice, particularly, particularly poor parents whose kids, very often minorities, are trapped in failing neighborhood schools. This is the civil rights issue of our day.”
Here’s the TALENT the Republicans have at their fingertips…and see whom (or is it WHAT?) they nominated! And YOU tell ME how STUPID this party is!!!
And so here is the story. The HUMANISING story we cannot manufacture to seduce voters.
- On a personal note, a little girl grows up in Jim Crow Birmingham. The segregated city of the south where her parents cannot take her to a movie theater or to restaurants, but they have convinced that even if she cannot have it hamburger at Woolworths, she can be the president of the United States if she wanted to be, and she becomes the secretary of state.
Then Tea party Boy Dahling Paul Ryan comes on…and he plays to the Party Base, spouts the juvenile nonsense you expect from HIM. I’m looking at Ryan, seeing a pretty…a very pretty empty face. Yes, he is quite good looking.
- “Obama Care comes to more than 2,000 pages of rules, mandates, taxes, fees and fines that have no place in a free country.” HUH? What has No place in a free country? Pages? Rules? Mandates – like the one Mitt Romney slapped on us here in Massachusetts for ROMNEYCARE, our state healthcare for all? Taxes? As in the Supreme Court has decided to call that MANDATE a TAX? Fees and Fines like the ones Romney RAISED on us here in Massachusetts?
According to FactCheck.org: The Massachusetts Department of Administration and Finance put the fee total at $260 million a year and the corporate tax change at $174 million a year, and the independent Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation said both fees and taxes totaled $740 million to $750 million a year (split about evenly between fees and corporate taxes). But Romney CAN SAY HE DID NOT RAISE TAXES…because being Romney, he came up with a devious, UNDERHAND creative accounting way to do so!
- College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life.
NO Mr. Ryan, college grads should NOT have to live back home in their childhood bedrooms if you and your Republican buddies had supported the Student Loan Reform bill.
New York Times headline: MAY 17, 2012, 5:33 AM
Republicans in Senate Block Bill on Student Loan Rates
WASHINGTON — Senate Republicans on Tuesday blocked consideration of a Democratic bill to prevent the doubling of some student loan interest rates, leaving the legislation in limbo less than two months before rates on subsidized federal loans are set to shoot upward.
Democrats arrayed college students to plead for a yes vote. The bill was blocked on party lines.
Along party lines, the Senate voted 52 to 45 on a key procedural motion, failing to reach the 60 votes needed to begin debating the measure.
The vote was the Senate Republicans’ 21st successful filibuster of a Democratic bill this Congress, which started in January 2011. Republicans have blocked consideration of President Obama’s full jobs proposal, as well as legislation repealing tax breaks for oil companies, helping local governments pay teachers and first responders, and setting a minimum tax rate for households earning more than $1 million a year.
Republicans say the measures were flawed and potentially harmful to the economic recovery.
In an awkward move Wednesday, Senate Republicans voted overwhelmingly for two GOP-written budgets that would each let student loan interest rates spike in July, even as they insist they want to avert such an outcome.
Budget measures by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) (NOTE WHOM) and Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA) went down 41-58 and 42-57, respectively. Both let Stafford loan rates double from 3.4 to 6.8 percent, which President Obama and Democrats have been pushing to prevent. Mitt Romney and GOP leaders say they want to extend the existing rate but differ on how to pay for it. (SEE THE hypocrisy?)
The budget votes were largely a Republican effort to embarrass President Obama and Democrats for failing to coalesce around a long-term fiscal vision.
Then Ryan deals his coup de grace. He discounts the very point that Rice made – that some people are locked into their lot.
- Listen to the way we’re already spoken to already, as if everyone is stuck in some class or station in life, victims of circumstances beyond our control, with government there to help us cope with our fate…
HE cannot get the point that Rice makes…that one might not be able to control one’s circumstances but yes, one can control one’s response to one’s circumstances.
Mr. Ryan if you’re at the bottom of a well, which would you prefer? For a fireman to come and throw you a rope — or look down at you, laugh and say: Dig yourself out. Even with broken fingernails! Sure a determined person CAN dig him/herself out, but it’s a lot easier with that rope – or a spoon – or a shovel!
Ryan says leadership is missing from the White House – like there was an overflow of LEADERSHIP when George W. Bush was in the White House. Unless of course we factor in Bush’s egomaniacal Vice President Dick Cheney, who lived up to his name by leading Bush around by his…well, YOU know, Dick.
Maybe I’m biased…but so far, I am with Condi.
My Dream is that: “One day…one day, politicians will speak the truth. That this nation will rise up and demand capable leaders, men and women of integrity, black, white, Hispanic, Asian and Amerindian.
I have a dream that one day, a politician’s worth will no longer be determined by how much money he can raise and spend, but by the sum of his ideas, by his or her competence and not by his/her debating ability.
I have a dream that one day politicians will be chosen, not by the color of their skin or party, but by the inclusiveness of their vision.
Yes, I have a dream that one day, on these white steps of the Capitol, we will see a Republican and a Democrat stand side by side at a table of National Interest and Unity and shout: Free at last, Free at last. Thank God – we are free at last from partisan bickering!”
What does it say about the Romneys – that Mitt Romney’s wife is on TV telling the world that she had a miscarriage – well SEVERAL miscarriages, actually – with the SOLE purpose of making us, luring us, seducing us, FORCING us into liking the unlikable Mitt Romney…???
Revealing their family’s deeply PERSONAL details, in a calculated bid to put a HUMAN face on Mr. Aloof Romney.
I was watching Ann Romney and I was uncomfortable. To me it’s a CRINGE factor.
WHY? Mrs. Romney, Why…? For political gain??? Come now…
Why are you telling us about your miscarriages? You could have had a million miscarriages and this does not make your husband MORE (or less) suitable to be President than if you had NO miscarriages at all.
I just do not understand why the Republican Party and the Romney’s feel that regurgitating their PERSONAL family secrets are necessary to win the presidency? NO, Mrs. Romney. Release YOUR TAX RETURNS. THAT is what American voters want to know.
- How much money you really have…
- Where do you bank your money – because banking in America means more money for banks to lend out and more money to INVEST in this country and CREATE THE JOBS that you and Republicans are braying about so much.
- How much taxes did you pay to the US government to help them maintain the roads and other services that you now want to cut…
- You were taxed at WHAT TAX RATE? We know that for 2010 you paid a LOWER rate than middle class families. You paid 13-percent on a gross adjusted income of $22 MILLION while your running mate Paul Ryan who made about $200-300 THOUSAND (2010/2011) paid at a higher tax rate of 15-20 percent.
- How much money are you hiding in off-shore banks OUTSIDE America? The government has begun to go after super-rich Americans like you who hide their money overseas. This costs the government, voters and the economy billions of dollars in LOST revenue. If you are elected, will YOU go after these super-rich tax dodgers, Mr. Romney?
THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO HEAR, Mr. Romney. NOT your personal family secrets.
No amount of miscarriages, kids disillusionments or personal illnesses will make me feel sympathetic enough to vote for you, (or anybody else) unless your case is similar to that of a Gabby Giffords. I do not know Gabby Giffords, but you, Mrs. Romney, are NO Gabby Giffords.
(Giffords, a U.S Representative from Arizona, was shot in the head 2011 during a meet and greet event and fought her way back.) Spunky Gabby Giffords is about the only politician I’m prepared to fill sorry for at this point…and I don’t think she’s seeking pity either!
Mrs. Romney…HOW DARE YOU THINK THAT you will go on television and tell me that you had miscarriages and that your son took it badly and that this will make me so sorry for poor Ann Romney that I will immediately love you, embrace you to my gullible bosom and FALL IN LOVE with your robotic husband!?
I much prefer LAURA BUSH. Laura Bush, like Michelle Obama, is likable. I suspect Laura Bush had a much harder time dealing with her errant husband and headstrong girls than Mrs. Romney ever did with her family. Laura Bush stood by her man, (a man I absolutely detested when George Bush was President) even when he was a drunk or “choked” on a pretzel. I like Bush W. better now largely because he’s been GRACIOUS since leaving office, unlike his moronic egomaniac of a Vice President, Dick Cheney.
I understand that Mrs. Romney needs to de-roboticize her husband. Make him likeable. But please, NOT by revealing personal family stuff. We don’t need to know about your miscarriages, especially as you have five, yes FIVE strapping sons. It would be different if:
- The Romney’s had no kids and now I learn they had several miscarriages…
- If Romney was running to be the head of some clinic that specializes in fertility treatments or providing support for families who can’t have babies…
- If Romney had even KNOWN about the part where his last son came home and had a tantrum or a mini breakdown because his mom lost a potential little brother or sister. BUT APPARENTLY ROMNEY DID NOT EVEN KNOW ABOUT THIS MINI DRAMA THAT UNFOLDED IN HIS OWN HOME UNTIL HIS WIFE CONTRIVED TO BLURT IT OUT ON TV. He did not even KNOW, (or so they claim) but it’s supposed to “humanize” him. Umm-hmm. I donated my wedding ring to charity. My husband does NOT know, but still, isn’t he a generous man?
Given that family’s propensity for CALCULATED actions by design, I find it hard to believe. I’m sure they probably REHEARSED that interview to death – what to ask, how to say it, what NOT to say, etc. But I’m cynical – so assuming HE REALLY DID NOT KNOW, he did not even look shocked.
NO “What? You never told me anything…darling!”
NO REACTION AT ALL. HIS WOODEN FACE REMAINS WOODEN – while his wife recounts how traumatized their young son was by learning his mom lost a baby – and then we, the viewers, have to embrace this unemotional Mitt Romney. He doesn’t even LOOK moved, but WE should be!!!
Hey Mr. Romney, next time: REACT! (If you can!!!)
The Romneys are one of those political families who will do anything, say anything, pretend to be anything to gain political office. NO wonder Massachusetts U.S. Senator, Romney’s fellow Republican Scott Brown (of the naked pictures in Cosmopolitan magazine) is avoiding the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Florida. Brown is not speaking. He will just drop in, touch and go. He’s been running so hard AWAY from Mitt Romney that he’s probably going to represent neighboring Connecticut by now…
NOTE TO POLITICIANS. I do NOT want to hear intimate details of your personal family life – especially if the SOLE purpose of releasing said details is to arouse my sympathies or shape my perception of you.
Now I am NOT uncaring of Mrs. Romney’s illness, having Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and losing her babies. Those are traumatic events and the family got through it intact. The Romneys appear to have a tight-knit family (I’ve said so before) and kudos to them. I admire that. I hope they stay that way. There are too many families who are fighting and tearing each other up and many of them even do so publicly.
But, when it comes to making Romney likable, please tell me about the time when a little Romney got into the fridge and he was all covered with honey and sprinkles and Mitt came in and fell down laughing! (OK. We’re never gonna hear that cause Mr. Uptight Mitt does not know how to laugh, but I can dream!)
Please don’t tell me anymore of your family secrets. It is CRINGE worthy because we know WHY you’re baring your soul and IT IS NOT PRETTY. Why NOW? Mitt has been running for political office for nearly 20 years.
- He ran for the U.S. senate against Ted Kennedy
- He ran for governor and served one term
- He has spent 8 years running for President
- Surely the Harold Melville & the Blue Notes song: “If you don’t know me by now, you will never, never, never know me…” should be Mitt Romney’s anthem?
SO HOW IS IT WE STILL DON’T KNOW MITT ROMNEY? WHY DO WE NEED TO HEAR THAT HIS WIFE HAD MISCARRIAGES FOR US TO UNDERSTAND HIM? See any red flags here?
Mrs. Romney, there are women across America, some extremely poor women, some just getting by, who also have miscarriages and were not lucky enough to carry ANY of their babies to term. So they have either adopted or remained childless. Some may even STILL be trying to get pregnant. And guess WHAT, they DO NOT have your resources/comfort behind them. Some may be on welfare or government healthcare. Some may even be fighting with their employers or insurance companies for time off or to get coverage for their health costs. Some women may be facing bankruptcy due to their health care bills.
Some of these woman do not have maids and housekeepers. They have to drag their sorry butt out of bed the next day to take care of business – maybe even go to work or lose their job.
Some of these women may not have as lovely or spacious or appealing places to live like you. They may live in rough, stressful neighborhoods. They may have no support – their spouse may not be loving or even present. Maybe he split or wasted what money there is on drugs and alcohol. Do you understand that, Mrs. Romney?
There are many women who are suffering from debilitating illnesses like cancer, or even MS, and have NO support system, nobody to take care of the kids, no household help, just maybe a social worker or a charity or concerned neighbors.
There are many, many women for whom life is hard, VERY hard, Mrs. Romney. Really hard, not contrived hard.
Nobody wants to be ill and nobody wants to lose babies. But I think most of us would rather choose to be rich (than poor) if we had to face illness or miscarriages. While the heartache is the same, it is multiplied when you are poor because you have to deal with so many OTHER issues…on top of those that come with the illness or miscarriages. Poor people can’t afford the same level of high-tech care…can’t afford to sit back and recuperate…or to dismiss chores and medical expenses.
I do not want any other presidential candidate or their wife to throw their family secrets at me and burden me with their emotional angst. I have enough of my own! Keep yours! Jacqueline Kennedy would have DIED before she went on TV talking about her philandering husband or her personal issues. We could have been SORRY for her, but she had something called Pride! Wanna know what that is? Ask Hillary Clinton. Go talk to your family, your friends, your pastor about your personal issues. The White House is NOT Hollywood or Reality TV.
So Michelle Obama, just in case you’re thinking of giving me details of your own miscarriages (I suppose you had some too?) PLEASE DON’T. I don’t care. I don’t care how many miscarriages you had or did not have. I don’t care if Sasha was depressed. I don’t care about any of this crap except:
- Are you going to reform immigration?
- Are you going to REPEAL health care for all?
- Are you going to extend the 2-year Deferred Action for Immigrant Kids that President Obama signed?
- Are we really able to haul China before the World Trade Organization with no harm to us?
- Are you going to appoint a judge who will help the Supreme court overturn Roe vs. Wade?
- Are you going to trim the deficit?
- Are you going to invest in clean energy or continue to champion oil, gas and coal?
- Are you going to cut programs for the poor?
- Are you going to bomb Iran?
- How are you going to stimulate the economy?
- Will you keep cutting taxes?
- Will you slap regulations on big banks, Wall Street, student loan companies?
- How fertile are you? Not Applicable.
Republicans pretend to inclusive by seating delegates from black populations like the US Virgin Islands and the Marianas (hey, do you think Romney has stashed some millions there?) UP FRONT so the camera can pan on them to show how diverse Republicans ARE when these delegates don’t even VOTE in the U.S elections! How diverse is their delegation from Arizona? Phu-leese.
I just choose Arizona at random, OK. Maybe most of the Republican delegates are Hispanic – those who still remain in that state – because these Hispanics can walk around with a U.S. Passport to show police when they are stopped for LOOKING illegal?
So did ANN Romney convince you to love Mitt? I’m practically drooling. Two minutes into New Jersey governor Chris Christie’s speech, he IS already MORE believable!!! Don’t necessarily agree with everything he says – but HE’S REAL! She spoke about Love, TOUTED love. Now Christie says we seem have become paralyzed by our desire to be loved. Ahem.
Now all I need is a couple boxes of tissues – for Mitt’s big speech.
Sometimes when I’m too annoyed – I just refuse to write. Times I just want to rant! Like NOW…
When Mitt Romney’s running mate, Paul Ryan, the Representative from Wisconsin pays more in taxes than his multi-millionaire venture capitalist boss!
Romney’s adjusted gross income for 2010 was nearly 22 million but HIS TAX RATE WAS 13 PERCENT. Ah the loopholes of INVESTMENT INCOME! Ryan whose adjusted gross EARNED income was about 200-thousand in 2010, (300-thousand with some investment income, in 2011) paid taxes at a rate of 20-percent. Still Ryan stands there and says: That’s fine. I have less, let me pay more, it’s the American way!
Instead of fixing THAT tax loophole which we should WANT to fix but which will likely never be fixed…especially with the money being pumped this year into the campaigns of those who plan to ensure it stays UN-fixed – we turn around and buy into the cool aid that “Oh. You hate success!” Moronic. Yeah, the unsuccessful hate success so much they spend their time craving sucess and finding ways, straight and crooked, to achieve this elusive success!
Ever wonder why you’re being sold the American Dream when you’re really buying into a nightmare? After 300 years of Capitalism, how many millionaires do we have? If the system is geared for success, why are there so many failures? Large swathes of the population are simply left behind, abandoned – year after year after year? People living in Third World like sections of America, hidden and forgotten until there’s a flood? Then forgotten again…
So many of the so-called middle class are knock, knocking on the door to Millioniarehood – and will live and die like worker bees and never make it! Oh yes, some assets with the house and retirement plan (if there IS one), some stock, a possible savings account may add up to a million or more, on paper – but do they have a Mitt Romney lifestyle?
Can these so called Middle Class build a house with an elevator for cars? Spend $77-thousand on a horse – then still have 21 million to spend?
Do you have a movie star, sports athlete lifestyle? Can you buy a condo at a posh 5-star hotel like the Four Seasons overlooking the Boston Common where former Red Sox slugger Manny Ramirez lived?
According to the Census Bureau, the Median Income changed very little over the last 30 years with middle-income families earning 11-percent more in 2010 than they did in 1980…but the incomes of the richest 5-percent increased by 42-percent.
How many stress-filled years do the chasers of the “American Dream” have to commute? Long hours to work every day, braving dark, un-plowed winter mornings – working themselves ragged yet still struggling to maintain the trappings and put the kids through college, pay off the mortgage and go on vacation? Is that a dream? Or a paycheck or two away from disaster nightmare?
So someone says: “We created MORE new millionaires this year – ask: HOW MANY POOR DID YOU CREATE THIS YEAR? Nearly 3 million people slipped into poverty in the United States in 2011. Life is good for the 5-percent of the population that holds nearly ALL of the wealth. Yes, indeed that is a system that works…and SHOULD be protected.
Does nobody see maybe there is something wrong here? Maybe, just maybe we need to do some tweaking…a work in progress instead of a fait accompli?
- How can I not BE annoyed….???
When Paul Ryan says he is a STAUNCH AND STALWART champion of Medicare which is costing the government billions of dollars to provide health care for one segment of the population but HE does not want the government to provide similar healthcare coverage to other sectors of the population?
- How can I not BE annoyed….???
When Paul Ryan says he is so against the Stimulus that he just shudders with revulsion at the waste – oh the draining of government funds down the drain – how President Obama just flushed all those dollars down the toilet — then find out that HE, Paul Ryan asked for Stimulus dollars for his district. Well, he didn’t KNOW they were Stimulus Funds – he though the money was coming from China…or a Republican National Committee super PAC!
South Carolina Senator Strom Thurmond hated black people too…but fathered a child with his family’s black maid. Hypocrisy in government is not new!
By the way Ohio Republican, House Speaker John Boehner got millions of Stimulus dollars too for his District 8…including a garage, a transit center and The Banks Waterfront Project in Cincinnati.
Isn’t it strange how these Republicans preach one thing and actually DO something else? The other side does it too? Well THAT gives your guys the moral high ground…a very BELIEVABLE high road that is so justified, because if two minuses make a plus – then surely two wrongs do make a right!?
Wonder how often these congressmen go to confessional – to God or priest.
“Oh father…dear Jesus…I have sinned. I lied, I accused the Democrats of hypocrisy, but I’m just as hypocritical…I said they took Stimulus money, BUT I DID TOO…oh father…have I done wrong?”
“NO, no my son…God is good, God is forgiving…God understands how politics works. We expect Democrats, their political leaders, to lie and cheat and steal…(and have sex with men in airport restrooms) but Republicans ONLY do these things to get votes…so you can win the election and institute Christian Law on this God forsaking nation. So I understand, my child – that in this case, YOUR end justifies the means.”
“Er, forgive me, Jesus, but that incident in the airport bathroom, that was Larry Craig, a Republican…”
“I know my son (wink, wink) I know…”
From the Gospel according to John Boehner…the missing book of Rove.
Paul Ryan, THE Romney anointed “Intellectual Leader” of the Republicans, says president Obama is going back to the “old ways” of doing things. Obama keeps embracing the failed policies of the past…so why don’t we instead continue the policies of George Bush that worked so well IN THE FUTURE and implement MORE tax cuts?
Is there ANY Republican in America, at least ONE, who will stand up and say: “NO. Please let us NOT go back to this. Please let us try something NEW? Or do they perhaps see this as NEW?
I guess to THEM it IS new because it’s being proposed by a NEW presidential contender! (Some would agree that Romney, a man who spent 8 years running for president, 4 years as Massachusetts governor and who also ran for the U.S Senate against Ted Kennedy (and failed) is not new, but whom am I to say otherwise?
So according to Paul Ryan, please let us NOT go back to old ways of doing things, YES, let us charge forward with the NEW old idea of Tax cuts for the wealthy.
I don’t give a hoot about the nonsense you’re telling me, BOTH of you parties, about who’ll cut billions from Medicare or add billions to Medicare. Take that darn money and have ONE Health Care program that covers everybody!
Seniors are covered – Children are covered and the rest of America is what? Disposable? Is health care only for those who can afford it? All this NEW technology to scan every minute body cell we see on the news – that’s for whom? Those with money only?
The same people who authorize billions of dollars for a useless war in Iraq, who send billions to countries who go their own arrogant way, the same Congressmen who waste billions on a stupid LOSING “War on Drugs” that has been going on for decades with what to show for it – gun fights along the US/Mexico border?
The same lawmakers who turn blind eyes to government WASTE, like malfunctioning defense equipment costing billions of dollars or the department of Agriculture PAYING rich land holders NOT to farm land they have no intentions of farming, anyway — will BALK, RESIST and CHAFE over spending money to ensure Americans have health care coverage or that fire stations stay open.
Do Republicans really think that Romney will deport immigrants? Yeah! Wait. He’ll deal with China…and Russia too! Hey Mr. Putin, Romney is coming — with Ryan behind him! YOU scared yet?
Stupidity should be a crime…that carries nothing less than life in prison!
Well helloo Tea Party…
SO YOU WANT ROMNEY TO MOVE TO THE RIGHT? HOW EXTREME do you want him to go? Where does he STOP leaning over before he FALLS off?
Do you know that Mormons are not allowed to drink black tea, green tea and other caffeinated teas…?
Well how about that!
NO “Tea” for Mitt Romney….
Is or else an option? Can you pin him down? Are you sure now…?
Guess you’re wondering about that too, hmnnn…
Not so sure IF Romney will SAY ONE THING: like he will repeal Obamacare — then FLIP-FLOP and instead of repealing the federal Health Care Act, turn it into a version of Romneycare, with a mandate? After all, if he could do it here (in Massachusetts), he can do it anywhere, right?
SONG: Tootsee Roll by the 69 Boys
Cotton candy sweet to go, let me see that Tootsee Roll
Come on, Tootsee Roll, just make that Tootsee Roll
Here we go, Tootsee Roll, yeah, Tootsee Roll
Let me see that Tootsee Roll
Get on the floor and make that Tootsee Roll
To the left
To the left
To the right
To the right
To the front
To the front
To the back
To the back
Now slide just slide baby slide just slide
Just dip, cotton candy free to go
Let me see the Tootsee Roll.
Yeah, governor Romney – let us see that Tootsie roll!!!
Are you planning to stay home, like a typical working mom -> (the Romney’s definition: busy working at home caring for the kids) to watch dressage at the 2012 London Olympics?
I shall be ROOTING for the Romney’s show horse, Rafalca, in the competition – Team and Individual – Grand Prix Special on Tuesday, 08/07/2012.
There’s Individual Dressage:
- Grand Prix – August 02-03, (Rafalca placed #30)
- Grand Prix Special – Tuesday, August 07
- Grand Prix Freestyle – Thursday, August 09.
And Team Dressage:
- Grand Prix – August 02-03
- Grand Prix Special – August 07, from 10:00AM.
If I’m correct, there are 3 Americans in Tuesday’s Individual/Team Dressage Grand Prix Special: RAFALCA ROMNEY ridden by Jan Ebeling at 10:45 London Time — CALECTO V ridden by Tina Konyot (11:25AM) — and RAVEL ridden by Steffen Peters (11:52). Britain, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark – U.S. Team is fifth.
Equestrian/dressage, like sailing, is the SPORT OF KINGS.
The Romney’s dressage horse stepping sideways? Mitt Romney does the same thing: artfully dodge questions by stepping sideways! That horse has been part of the Romney household, what do you expect it to do? Come now…
It’s OK to step sideways and avoid releasing your taxes…if you’re a horse, but if you’re not? Anyway…
Dressage is a French term that loosely translated means: Training. In dressage “movements” include terms like:
A calm, composed, elevated trot in place.
As in: Mitt Romney’s entrance in the republican primaries can only be described as a piaffe….
A very collected trot, in which the horse has great elevation of stride and seems to pause between putting down its feet.
eg: Newt Gingrich is trying to knock Romney out of these republican primaries but Romney’s passage seems assured!
The horse lengthens its stride to the maximum length through great forward thrust and reach.
eg: Rick Santorum may be the Tea Party favorite but it will be difficult for him to match Romney’s extended gait due to Romney’s huge fundraising advantage.
FLYING CHANGES IN SEQUENCE
The horse changes leads at the canter every stride, two strides, or three strides.
As in shifting from conservative to moderate to extreme right. eg: Romney has made a flying change from his original position as governor of Massachusetts where he championed a UNIVERSAL Health Care Reform law with a MANDATE but is now bashing the federal health care mandate!
A 360 or 180 degree turn in place, usually performed at the canter.
As in suddenly changing positions on major issues like abortion, gay rights and immigration reform. eg: Romney made a brilliant pirouette at a recent campaign event when he appeared before Latino voters and said he favors a Republican version of the Dream Act!
A movement where the horse goes on a diagonal, moving sideways and forward at the same time, while bent slightly in the direction of movement.
eg: Romney went forward today by releasing his taxes but side-stepped the issue of FULL disclosure by only releasing ONE year.
Dressage is well suited indeed to Mitt Romney, who, by the way, told NBC he does NOT even know when his wife’s horse is taking part in the competition. As a matter of face, I’m sure Romney is not sure IF the horse is even in London!!!
Depending on your income, it’s hard to say “dressage” with a straight face. Seriously. In Polo, they’re crashing into each other and people are falling off their horses. If somebody falls off a horse in dressage, that rider should be ashamed forever!
Dressage is one of those rich people’s sports that most of us will never play.
Tennis? Tennis courts everywhere. Grab a racket, heck grab a piece of plywood or cardboard and make a racket go hit a ball. You may never be Roger Federer but so what?
Even Skiing. Hitch a ride, hit a ski resort, offer to wash dishes in the kitchen…on your free time hit the slopes. Or just stare up at it longingly…
Golf? Offer to caddy for free…
Polo? Offer to muck horse stalls for free riding lessons?
Dressage? No money? Nothing you can do unless you steal a horse, already have offered to muck stalls and gotten some free riding lessons somewhere, THEN find a trainer. Oh and you can’t bunk the horse in your apartment…and feeding it Chick fil-A is not a good idea either. If you’re planning to send your kids to dressage after school, can my son tag along?
Here are some of the people who are taking part in the Equestrian competitions!
- The Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia
- Royalty from Britain
- And Royalty from America – the Romneys!
I am prepared to spontaneously break into a rendition of “God Bless America for Rafalca. If Chick fil-A Appreciation Day can inspire patriotism then so can Rafalca! So what if he’s German! I did not call her an immigrant and she’s here legally.
Do you know what makes America Great? Dressage. NOT as you believed stimulus plans – waste of money. NOT Health Care Reform – equal waste of money. Building our Infrastructure? NO, No, no!!! The government should assemble a team of Dressage horses led by Rafalca and invite them to Washington to argue for:
- $2-thousand-dollar annual premiums on health care for ALL horses (which is what the Romney’s spent on their horse’s health care for 2010). For PEOPLE, no!
- Increasing the Child Tax Credit from the $1-thousand you can now claim per child – to $77-thousand (the amount the Romneys deducted for their horse in 2010)
So yes, I AM rooting for Rafalca…
Wait. Don’t give up on me! Whom do you want me to root for? What’s Rafalca ever done to YOU?
- Rafalca did not say: “I saw my father march with Martin Luther King.” Romney said that. His campaign later admitted that Romney’s father and Dr. King didn’t march on the same day…or even in the same city. But so what? Romney’s dad marched over there, Dr. King marched over here – conjugated it means: I march, you march – WE march, right?!
- Rafalca did not say: “He (meaning President Obama) says we need more firemen, more policemen, more teachers. Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It’s time for us to cut back on government and help the American people.” Romney said that! Er, Governor Romney, MORE firemen, police and teachers do help…aw, forget it!
- Rafalca did not say: “I love this state, the trees are the right height!” Romney said that. Rafalca would have gone a step further and TOLD us WHAT the right height for trees are these days – NOT left us to guess!
- Rafalca did say: “I’ll tell you what, ten-thousand bucks? $10,000 bet?” Nope,
Romney said THAT. Rafalca would have said “$77-thousand bucks? $77-thousand bet”.
Nope. Can’t blame Rafalca…even though he IS an elitist horse.
So Go Raffie! Don’t let your owners down now ’cause they need the prize money!!! (er, is there money?) Well they can always invest the gold (medal) in Switzerland. Please DON’T tell Rafalca WHERE to keep its gold medal or ask to see bank vault receipts…
Rafalca, there is a nice bag of oats waiting for you at home. Forgive me if I offend a horse of your caliber by offering oats, but I have NO idea what top-class horses like you eat. Maybe oats are for nags? Maybe YOU eat GRAVIAR – a mixture of specially pulped grain and caviar that your own personal chef prepares for you!?
Why the heck not? YOU Rafalca are to dressage what Tiger Woods is to golf. I’m watching, aren’t I? I watch golf too and still can’t explain a birdie!