Archive for Health Care Reform
Let ME count some ways?
Republicans and I finally AGREE on something!
I CANNOT stand Nancy Pelosi…either, and I’m going to check which representatives from MA voted to keep her as House Minority Leader — and to ask them about it. (Seth Moulton did NOT. Good for him!)
Pelosi does not get it, the other democrats who support her DON’T get it…(well, they get fund-raising to get RE-elected!) and the Clinton circle STILL DOESN’T GET IT!
Why the HELL are they still blaming Trump for losing the election? Isn’t that what he’s supposed to do – make the challenger lose?
They don’t get why Trump won. They’re only looking at false news and negative attacks, Russia, the FBI, etc, everything and anything but them and their poor campaign, their plastic candidate, their negativity, their lack of connection, their manipulation behind the scenes, their lack of counter-punch, their arrogant assumptions…and keep missing the economics, disappointments and frustrations of people’s lives, missing the forest for the trees…while they earn millions and we earn zero…but keep asking you to DONATE, DONATE, CHIP IN.
Chip in – you dumb, insensitive (whatever!) With what…you out-of-touch (whatever)! Why can’t YOU chip in some of your millions? I need my 3-dollars to pay my rent. I don’t own an 11-room, 2-million-dollar mansion in Chappaqua. Donate WHAT?
I did NOTHING to support democrats in this election cycle – and that’s NOT because of Trump. It’s because I’m FED UP with democrats, (starting with President Obama), and their inability to connect with the cares of everyday people like me. I’m frustrated with Democrats because of their laissez-faire attitude to Immigration Reform, blaming Republicans for their failure to act, then pandering at election time with DACA. Trump appealed to HIS BASE. You did NOT! Multiply MY feelings by millions of other disgruntled, frustrated “liberals” who feel like me, for various reasons, and you get why Democrats lost. But don’t tell them, let them blame Trump. It’s easier.
I didn’t support Bernie. But if you ask him why Democrats lost, he will NOT lay the blame on Trump. He doesn’t…
At this point I’m actually thinking of going Republican, if they’d have me…eew!
Who knows, maybe Trump, crazy as it seems, MAY work out better for blacks like me!
Should I care if Trump has white supremacists in his cabinet – if he brings jobs and peace/security to my inner city? Or should I keep supporting no supremacists in the cabinet – and instead live with fear and economic depression?
Did I say I CANNOT STAND NANCY PELOSI? I am NOT a Trump hater. 20 million Americans voted for him. He is different. He is crazy. Hell, I’m giving him a chance. 2 years (midterms?) before I get on his case. I want to SEE what he will do, before I crucify him.
Did I say I cannot stand Nancy Pelosi and most of the current hierarchy in the Democratic Party?
Can someone tell me WHY Donna Brazile felt that Hillary Clinton, a seasoned politician, was NOT capable of answering a question from a CNN reporter? WHY she felt a need to slip Clinton the question on the sly beforehand? I find that morally reprehensible. If a candidate CANNOT answer a SIMPLE question off-the-cuff, then you have NO freaking right wanting to be – or BEING, president!
- It’s not like the answer determined whether you went before a firing squad. Yes, in a situation where a wrong answer meant death or dismemberment, by all means, go ahead and “save” your candidate…but really? She needed prep to answer a question on the DEATH PENALTY? Why?
- Did Hillary clinton NOT know that she was going to run for president? Are you telling me that all the while she was Secretary of State, she did NOT know she was running for president and only made THAT decision suddenly, in a great “aha” moment in March 2015? How do you explain her NOT knowing that she should have 2 separate and clearly demarcated servers – one to email daughter Chelsea to ask her to check on Bill – and one to email the State Department and the White House…and to KEEP THEM separate? Why the hell did she NOT know that?
- I wrote to the president in 2008 begging him to tackle Immigration Reform FIRST. But no, he had to go tackle Health Care Reform, (because his mama had insurance issues) and so, he listened to Rahm Emmanuel (his then Chief of Staff) who thought that immigrants should remain a political football that would never deflate. Obama/democrats disregarded counter arguments. Well congratulations on “Obamacare” that unwieldy monstrosity that democrats sold out to the health care lobby. That was a great help. Helped you lose the mid-term, which meant NO immigration reform which pissed off Hispanics and immigrants and led to apathy. Great help! Helped in 2016 too!
- How about Montana Democrat, Max Baucus? HE chaired the Senate Finance Committee and was one of the LEADING architects of Obamacare. According to news reports, Baucus RESISTED including a public option (which would let people choose a government Medicare-like plan, instead of private insurers, and help keep costs down). THAT is understandable, since according to news reports HE, the great and mighty Baucus, got nearly 2-million dollars from the insurers, hospitals and related groups – WHILE HE WAS SPEARHEADING OBAMACARE! Smelling a swamp?
- Do democrats LISTEN to ordinary people who are NOT Harvard’s grads or billionaires or celebrities? I’m no Katy Perry, how can I compete? If I live in the heartland and coal is going out of style and my town is dying, shouldn’t I be glad that I have clean air to breathe – even though I can’t pay my mortgage or feed my family. Ah, all that oxygen filling my stomach! Isn’t the O in O2 really tasty? Hey, the bank will accept the C too, if you tell your loan officer C stands for the Roman Numeral for hundreds!
- Living in the inner city? For the FIRST week in November, three police/fire/EMS responses to my 14-family section, in one week! Fighting, drug use, trespassing. What a life. I look out my peephole and people are injecting drugs, buying drugs, selling drugs. Yep, I’m raring to donate! Yet I’m being asked to CHIP-IN 3-dollars to make the Boston fund-raising quota. F-you! What have you done for me lately?
Republicans are right – Democrats dice and slice voters. Blacks? Hispanics? Asians? Women? Blue-collar? Dog-lovers! Muslims! Gays! Immigrants! BULLSHIT. People.
Still don’t understand, MS. Pelosi? Fund-raising and MONEY DID not win 2016. Gender did NOT win. Experience did not WIN. Get THE freaking MESSAGE. What the hell are you doing for me, immigrant? What the hell are you doing for me – job loser in company deserting to Mexico or India? What the hell are doing for ME, working poor with two jobs earning minimum wage who still CANNOT afford to rent an apartment in Boston where the median rent is about 3-thousand dollars in many neighborhoods?
After all, earning minimum wage in Massachusetts, working 40 hours a week at $10 an hour is $400 BEFORE TAX. That is 16-hundred dollars a week. Holding TWO minimum wage jobs, working 80 hours a week (if you can), is $32-hundred dollars a month. STILL CANNOT MAKE THE RENT…not counting food, travel, clothing, utilities, etc. But hell, we’ll CHIP IN so you can win and cut deals benefitting your rich friends and cronies!
Guess what: Get lost!
Yes, I said it. F-you, Democrats. How much do you earn in Congress. before factoring in the perks and the bribes and the lobbying trips? The dinners/gifts/favors? The insider deals made IN THE SWAMP, on stocks, etc…
PS: And Clinton staffers yelling at Kellyanne Conway (Trump’s campaign manager) and trying to vilify HER for your loss…just, in MY eyes…UNDERSCORES how much YOU still don’t GET it – and yes, your bitterness shows. Ha! HA HA!
JOIN DA CLUB!!!
In other words? MOVEON.LOST!!!
Democrats are emailing supporters asking fools like me to “Share Feedback”…
One question asks:
“What would you say to another Democrat to inspire them to get involved with or contribute to this organization?’
NOTHING…to hell with it!
All you care about is the UNWIELDY piece of crap that is Obamacare…
I’m waiting for Democrats to do something about Immigration Reform, but all Democrats can do is TALK.
I have people in my family who are impacted by Immigration Reform and until you DO something about it, I will donate NOTHING…and pretty soon I will remove myself from your email list.
You are interested in Syrian victims – why don’t you ask THEM to donate?
You are interested in Obamacare – I don’t give a hoot about Obamacare!
I don’t give a damn about Food Stamps. I’m not on food stamps but people try to sell me their food stamps for half the face value!
I don’t give a damn about a government shut down, let it shut down…and pretty soon, I won’t give a hoot about Democrats either.
I’m fed up with you. I’m tired of waiting for Immigration Reform.
I’ve waited since 2007…and if President Obama lets Republicans KILL Immigration Reform and does not come up with some Executive Action for Dreamers and their parents, I will consider him and Democrats to be part of the PROBLEM…and I will spread this viewpoint, online and in my blog!
If you think Immigration Reform is something that you can keep promising and NOT deliver on…forever dangling like a perpetual carrot…you better think again!
Now you know – I hope!!! I doubt you all even READ this…
Yeah. Seriously THAT’S WHAT I WROTE to:
Communications Director of the Democratic National Committee.
I’m just sooo FED-UP WITH THEM…
The government is NOW:
Telling people WHAT to eat…
How to have sex…
What to drink…
How to wear your pants…
Prosecuting athletes for taking steroids…
Pretty soon they’ll implant a chip in your ass and ping you before you crap…so they can tell you HOW to crap!
Get off the BULLSHIT bandwagon and DO YOUR JOB!
I don’t give a damn about a government shut down, let it shut down…it needs to shut down!
I don’t give a damn about none of the important non-issues that are so important to Democrats…and pretty soon, I won’t give a hoot about Democrats either!
I’m fed up with Democrats…tired of waiting for ACTION on Immigration Reform.
Democrats are like a bunch of Jack-in-the-Boxes! Every election cycle, they jump out of the box promising Immigration Reform and NOT delivering – then they huddle behind Republican skirts to bray…and slink back INTO their box until the NEXT election.
Republicans are racist shitheads…THEY are NOT going to legalize Undocumented Immigrants. You Democrats, YOU are the ones who have to do it.
I’m beginning to believe that Democrats string people along…then leave them hanging. I suspect they laugh at us – WE the Fools who run around, at our OWN expense, to campaign – while they’re eating Wagyu rib eye and arugula salad with white Matsutake shavings at their exclusive clubs!
NOT this time. This time if you don’t understand what Presidential Power/Authority means, if you’ve NEVER heard of a: DISCHARGE PETITION, if you don’t understand that Republicans will intentionally block Immigration Reform partly to thwart YOU – then YOU can Get Lost too!!!
BOTH of you…Republicans and Democrats…can get lost!
That’s IT! I’m waiting to see WHAT happens in October…
Get your shit together! And STOP asking me FOR donations – you’ve done NOTHING for me – YET!!!
You want money? TWO Actions will DO it…
- DISCHARGE PETITION in the House of Representatives.
- Use your Presidential Authority to MAKE Deferred Action PERMANENT for both Dreamers AND THEIR PARENTS.
How the hell are you making the kids legal – they can work, drive…and their parents remain Illegal and can be deported? Again this was an election ploy, so I guess next October Jack will jump out of the box and EXTEND Deferred Action? Or just Defer it???
Photos: Google Images
Am I the ONLY one who is noticing how Mitt Romney keeps dismissing Paul Ryan – like Ryan is of NO consequence? Well IS he?
Romney has said repeatedly that HE, Romney (65) and his ideas are the ones that will take precedence – NOT Paul Ryan’s. Then if so, WHY choose Paul Ryan (42) as a running mate in the first place? Why have Ryan campaign on his notorious Budget Plan?
Short answer? TEA PARTY votes…
But let’s look for a LONG answer first!
Back in August (8/15/2012) Romney told CBS This Morning:
“Congressman Ryan has joined my campaign, and his campaign is my campaign now…we’re on exactly the same page.” Nobody asked Romney if he and Ryan were reading the SAME book!
- According to Romney, (remember THAT, according to Mitt Romney who lives in a parallel universe) President Obama is trying to take $716 billion from Medicare to pay for Obama’s health care plan.
- However, his running mate Paul Ryan’s OWN controversial 2012 Budget embraces many of the same Medicare reductions outlined in the president’s health care plan.
- (Democrats accuse Romney and Ryan of “hypocritical criticism” but I digress.
Romney says RYAN will have to toe the line — Tea Party Ryan will HAVE to support Romney’s plan WHICH DOES NOT HAVE ANY REDUCTIONS.
“The president’s cuts of $716 billion to Medicare, those cuts are going to be restored if I become president.”
ANTHONY MASON (CBS News): Are you running on [Ryan’s] budget or on your budget?”
ROMNEY: “My budget, of course…I’m the one running for president.”
You think Washington is deadlocked NOW! Wait until a President Romney tries to go AGAINST the Tea Party! Mr. Romney, getting into bed with the Tea Party is like signing a pact with the Devil. YOU cannot take the protection then think you can turn around later when you feel strong enough and do your own shaking up!
Last night (9/23) again on CBS’s 60 Minutes Romney simply dismisses Paul Ryan’s proposal to cut spending by removing $17-billion from Medicare with a typical arrogant Romney brush off.
SCOTT PELLEY (60 Minutes): There is a lot of rhetoric about Medicare. What do you intend to do?
ROMNEY: Well, I don’t want any change to Medicare for current seniors or for those that are nearing retirement. So the plan stays exactly the same. The president’s cutting $716 billion from current Medicare. I disagree with that. I’d put those dollars back into Medicare.
PELLEY: Mr. Ryan has proposed something similar, almost precisely the same number, 716.
ROMNEY: Yeah. He was going to use that money to reduce the budget deficit. I’m putting it back into Medicare and I’m the guy running for president, not him…
OUCH!!! The WAY he said it.
Ryan is OPEN about WHAT he wants to do. Reduce the budget deficit. One may not agree with him on HOW he plans to do that, but you KNOW what HE wants to do. Romney wants to WHAT? This is the guy who went to congress cap in hand AND GOT a $342-million BAILOUT to bail out the 2002 Utah Olympics…PLUS an additional $1-billion in indirect federal funding in highway and transit projects.
(The 1984 games in Los Angeles got $75 million from the federal government. The 1996 games in Atlanta got $609 million. According to the Romney campaign, some of Utah’s $1.3 billion went to security (300 million – it was just after 9/11) AND parking lots ($30 million), sewer systems ($2 million), and an Olympic horse adoption program ($33,000). Apparently Mitt Romney loves horses.
I am not saying Romney has to Kow-Tow to Paul Ryan and Ryan’s over the edge Tea Party zealous fervor to cut government spending. Left to Ryan, the department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) will have to give the federal government an apartment in some public housing development in D.C.to use as an office. Until Ryan and Romney cut HUD too and federal workers squat on the steps of the Washington Monument! I DON’T have that dream…
But by golly. To go on TV and just write off his running mate’s one Claim to Fame – the Ryan Budget: Path to Prosperity? (Highway of Hallucination? Road to Recidivism?) leaves us asking?
What kind of man are you, Mitt Romney?
John McCain was dogged by reports of his famous temper – how he would fly into rages. Who ARE you, Mitt Romney – Really?
We KNOW it is YOU who is running for President and NOT Paul Ryan but how does Ryan feel when he sees YOU on TV just dismissing an idea he is out there campaigning on – at the very moment that YOU, his running mate is dismissing it?
While Ryan is out campaigning, getting booed for telling seniors that a Romney/Ryan team is going to cut Medicare to balance the budget…Romney is saying that when Ryan cuts Medicare, I will plow those savings right BACK into Medicare.
So whom should we believe?
- Either or neither?
- Pants on fire somewhere?
- Or is it “misspeaking” on one of their parts?
- Or does the left hand NOT know what the right hand is doing?
- Or is that left mouth, right mouth?
- Or “Preexisting Political Calculation”? Ryan tells Tea Party voters what they want to hear. Romney tells the rest of us what WE want to hear?
- SO WHO/WHAT WILL WE END UP GETTING? A MIX? EITHER? NEITHER?
Romney tells us: Believe me because I am the one running for President, not HIM (Ryan)!
Some reporter should have caught up with Paul Ryan and asked him: “Your running mate Mitt Romney just said on TV that as president, HE will take the $716 billion you plan to cut from Medicare and plow it right BACK into Medicare. What do you have to say about that?
Imagine Ryan’s chagrin – seeing Romney saying that on TV. And it is not only what Romney said, BUT THE WAY ROMNEY SAID IT – with that sneering dismissal, like. Oh pooh! I’m the one you need to listen to, not pretty boy over there.
If I was Paul Ryan, I’d call Romney and tell him to find himself a NEW running mate…preferably Romney’s ego!
So again I ask you: Just why do you think Mitt Romney chose Tea Party conservative dahling Paul Ryan as his running mate?
- Well, he considered Jesus, but Jesus told him: “Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s…” (Mat 22:21)
- Mormon founder Joseph Smith was out of the running. After Smith died, there are NO eyewitness claims (as yet) to HIS resurrection…Smith remains dead.
- Marco Rubio? Are you kidding? Rubio is Hispanic! Bet Romney thinks Rubio is illegal too!
- Romney wanted the endorsement of the Tea Party and he had to BUY it, with blood – his blood!
- Poor Mitt Romney. No wonder he is sooo uptight. Wouldn’t you be too, if you had to bargain with the devil – and the bargaining chip is your own soul?
So the LONG answer to the question: Why did Mitt Romney choose as his running mate someone who is young enough to be his son? It’s the SAME as the short answer!
The long and short of it is: Romney wanted to woo conservatives. He expects Ryan to lure then down the garden path where Romney is waiting with a ring and engraved invitations – hoping he and conservatives can announce their engagement. Of course Romney’s plan is to secretly call off the engagement later! Open one of those invitations and the wedding date is missing! Romney will explain it as: “A misprint.”
Bugs Bunny would say someone here is “a maroon…a gullibull!”
Guess the engagement is still on, huh? Because with NOT even a wedding date the Honeymoon can’t already be over!?
Bugs again: “I know this defies the law of gravity, but I never studied law!”
Since our two-party system makes provision for a Republican to also run in the race for President of America, shouldn’t that Republican BE Condoleezza Rice?
Condi versus Obama.
The Republicans don’t KNOW a good thing when they have it – the black male “rock star” president vs. the black female “rock star” former Secretary of State! And NOT just any female either, this is a woman who comes from the face of segregated America: Birmingham, Alabama.
Republicans should have gone in droves to Condoleezza Rice and begged, threatened, cajoled, seduced, threatened — maybe even sent former Vice President Dick Cheney to FORCE Rice to be their nominee. They could have with one GO broken the perception that they are racist, dismissed the notion that the reason so many of them hate Obama is because he is black and just sucked in the female vote. Va-va-vroom…
But NO. They had to go with the anti-Condoleezza. Pass on spicy for bland…
Can you envision a debate between Barak Obama and Condoleezza Rice? WHO would NOT watch? The WORLD would watch…
Republicans could have bagged Colin Powell. But NO. Condi and Powell DO NOT SIT WELL WITH the racist Tea Party arm now controlling the Republican Party.
Let us look at Condoleezza Rice’s speech to the 2012 Republican National Convention in Tampa/Florida August 29. All you’re getting is Ryan’s FLUFF shoved down your throat!
Rice starts by saying:
“We gather here at a time of significance and challenge. This young century has been a difficult one…
(She refers to 9-11 then adds) “From that day on…our sense of vulnerability and our concepts of security were never the same again.
Then, in 2008, the global financial and economic crisis would stun us. And it still reverberates as we deal with unemployment and economic uncertainty and bad policies that cast a pall over an American economy and a recovery that is
desperately needed at home and abroad.
(She goes on to refer to developments in the Middle East and what America should do about Syria and Iran) “Russia and China prevent a response, and everyone asks, where does America stand?”
So far I agree with everything she’s said.
America’s sense of vulnerability and our concepts of security will NEVER be the same again.
- The financial crisis did NOT stun me because anyone with an ounce of sense could foresee this coming. Some people were warning and urging caution.
- YES! We are still reverberating from the massive job losses and economic uncertainty that started under Republican rule with former President George W. Bush’s wars and tax cuts…and other bad policies. These policies cast a pall over America’s economy and the recovery that is desperately needed at home and abroad.
- And yes. Russia and China are blocking American intervention.
Condi says the world is asking: “Where does America stand? Since world war II, the United States has had an answer to that question. We stand for free peoples and free markets. We will defend and support them. We will sustain a balance of power that favors freedom.
She goes on to make the case for INTERVENTIONISM – praising the soldiers who put their lives on the line to secure American Freedom and then goes on to say the question of the hour is:
- “Where does America stand? You see when the friends or foes alike don’t know the answer to that question, unambiguously and clearly, the world is likely to be a more dangerous and chaotic place.” There is no choice, because one of two things will happen if we don’t lead. Either no one will lead and there will be chaos, or someone will fill the vacuum who does not share our values.
I don’t agree with her there on her method. Rice subscribes to the Bush Doctrine of Preemptive strikes (the one Sarah Palin had never heard of). Rice, (like Bush, Cheney, Bush’s Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and his deputy Paul Wolfowitz and many Republicans) believe that wherever around the world some dictator rattles his sabers, especially against “Freedom”, America should pull out her big guns and go bang, bang!
BUT, IF the rattling is coming from a huge powerhouse like China or Russia – THEN obviously we CAN’T invade THEM, so what do we do then?
NOW there is a FUNDAMENTAL question that Americans need to answer: HOW do you deal with Russia and China?
Romney and Ryan say THEY will haul China before the World Trade Organization. I’m sure that will work on so many levels. Because if you earn $200-thousand-a year, then borrow 20 million dollars from your neighbor and he’s holding your house and your cars as collateral, then of course the one thing you want to do is sue your neighbor.
Would you try to talk to him, bring him cookies, offer to watch his kids, kiss his (you know) unobtrusively of course, ’cause he’s got you over a barrel? A barrel YOU allowed HIM to put you over with your run-away conspicuous consumption which you could NOT afford? If you’re a Democrat you play nice. You hate to kiss his (you know) but you’re smart and you like your nice, big house and fancy car.
If you’re a Republican, you being the MACHO moron that you are, you tell your neighbor, the one holding your loan – “Go —- yourself!” And then sit at home and smirk as you imagine him renegotiating a new loan for you with a lower interest rate. That’s what Republicans expect. That they will step on your toes and you will be so grateful, you will still love them, because they are, well, Republicans! These people have NO concept of ACTION – REACTION. OF ACTION – CONSEQUENCE. (Naturally, they blame the consequences on someone else!)
Back to Rice:
- We must work for an open, global economy, and pursue free and fair trade, to grow our exports and our influence abroad. If you are worried about the rise of China, just consider this — the United States has…ratified only three trade agreements in the last few years, and those were negotiated in the Bush administration. China has signed 15 free trade agreements and is in the progress of negotiating as many as 18 more. Sadly, we are abandoning the field of free and fair trade and it will come back to haunt us. AGREE
- We must not allow the chance to attain energy independence to slip from our grasp. We are blessed with a gift of oil and gas resources here in North America, and we must develop them. We can develop them sensitively, we can develop them securing our environment, but we must develop them. And we have the ingenuity to develop alternatives sources of energy. AGREE
(Rice says Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will rebuild the foundation of our strength, the American economy — stimulating private sector growth and stimulating small business entrepreneurship…BALONEY!)
- When the world looks at us today, they see an American government that cannot live within its means. They see an American government that continues to borrow money, that will mortgage the future of generations to come. The world knows that when a nation loses control of its finances, it eventually loses control of its destiny. That is not the America that has inspired people to follow our lead. AGREE.
Now we see here WHAT substance IS! Yes she’s got her ideology – and I don’t always agree. But by gosh she’s got some foundations in her speech that BOTH parties can use as STARTING POINTS to a productive dialog – ASSUMING they want to?
According to Rice:
- You see, the essence of America, what really unites us, is not nationality or ethnicity or religion. It is an idea. And what an idea it is. That you can come from humble circumstances and you can do great things, that it does not matter where you came from, it matters where you are going. SO TRUE!
- My fellow Americans, ours has never been a narrative of grievance and entitlement. We have never believed that I am doing poorly because you are doing well. We have never been jealous of one another and never envious of each others’ successes. SO TRUE!
Republicans applauded here – because they’ve bought into the silly dialog that Romney and the other Republicans put forward to mask their questionable financial practices – the one that says those of us who question the Romney’s finances do so because we are envious. I can’t speak for everybody, there may be some who envy the Romney’s for their lifestyle. But I’m not envious. Just practice what you preach.
But Rice could also be saying: Stop your silly mouthing that criticism of financial wrongdoing is “envy” because until you came up with that nonsense “ours has never been a narrative of grievance and entitlement. We have never believed that I am doing poorly because you are doing well. We have never been jealous of one another and never envious of each others’ successes.”
- No…ours has been a belief in opportunity. And it has been a constant struggle, long and hard, up and down, to try to extend the benefits of the American dream to all. But that American ideal is indeed in danger today. There is no country, no, not even a rising China that can do more harm to us than we can do to ourselves if we do not do the hard work before us here at home. AGAIN – SO TRUE!
On Immigration Reform:
- More than at any other time in history, greatness is built on mobilizing human potential and ambition…People have come here from all over because they have believed our creed of opportunity and limitless horizons. They have come here from the world’s most impoverished nations just to make a decent wage. And they have come here from advanced societies as engineers and scientists that fuel the knowledge-based revolution in the Silicon Valley of California, in the Research Triangle of North Carolina, along Route 128 in Massachusetts, in Austin, Texas, and across this great land.
- We must continue to welcome the world’s most ambitious people to be a part of us. In that way, we stay young and optimistic and determined. We need immigration laws that protect our borders, meet our economic needs, and yet show that we are a compassionate nation of immigrants.
- We have been successful too because Americans have known that one’s status of birth is not a permanent condition. Americans have believed that you might not be able to control your circumstances but you can control your response to your circumstances.
STOP. RUN THAT BY ME AGAIN!!!???
- Americans have believed that you might not be able to control your circumstances but you can control your RESPONSE to your circumstances.
Oh Condoleezza – I love you. You get it. You really, really do! (Paul Ryan would follow Rice on the podium and shoot down everything Rice says here – but we know that Ryan, like Romney, do NOT GET it. )
- And your greatest ally in controlling your response to your circumstances has been a quality education. But today, today, when I can look at your zip code and I can tell whether you’re going to get a good education, can I honestly say it does not matter where you came from, it matters where you are going? The crisis in K-12 education is a threat to the very fabric of who we are.
- My mom was a teacher. I respect the profession. We need great teachers, not poor ones and not mediocre ones. We have to have high standards for our kids, because self-esteem comes from achievement, not from lax standards and false praise. And we need to give parents greater choice, particularly, particularly poor parents whose kids, very often minorities, are trapped in failing neighborhood schools. This is the civil rights issue of our day.
RUN THAT ONE BY ME AGAIN, TOO!
- “We need to give parents greater choice, particularly, particularly poor parents whose kids, very often minorities, are trapped in failing neighborhood schools. This is the civil rights issue of our day.”
Here’s the TALENT the Republicans have at their fingertips…and see whom (or is it WHAT?) they nominated! And YOU tell ME how STUPID this party is!!!
And so here is the story. The HUMANISING story we cannot manufacture to seduce voters.
- On a personal note, a little girl grows up in Jim Crow Birmingham. The segregated city of the south where her parents cannot take her to a movie theater or to restaurants, but they have convinced that even if she cannot have it hamburger at Woolworths, she can be the president of the United States if she wanted to be, and she becomes the secretary of state.
Then Tea party Boy Dahling Paul Ryan comes on…and he plays to the Party Base, spouts the juvenile nonsense you expect from HIM. I’m looking at Ryan, seeing a pretty…a very pretty empty face. Yes, he is quite good looking.
- “Obama Care comes to more than 2,000 pages of rules, mandates, taxes, fees and fines that have no place in a free country.” HUH? What has No place in a free country? Pages? Rules? Mandates – like the one Mitt Romney slapped on us here in Massachusetts for ROMNEYCARE, our state healthcare for all? Taxes? As in the Supreme Court has decided to call that MANDATE a TAX? Fees and Fines like the ones Romney RAISED on us here in Massachusetts?
According to FactCheck.org: The Massachusetts Department of Administration and Finance put the fee total at $260 million a year and the corporate tax change at $174 million a year, and the independent Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation said both fees and taxes totaled $740 million to $750 million a year (split about evenly between fees and corporate taxes). But Romney CAN SAY HE DID NOT RAISE TAXES…because being Romney, he came up with a devious, UNDERHAND creative accounting way to do so!
- College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life.
NO Mr. Ryan, college grads should NOT have to live back home in their childhood bedrooms if you and your Republican buddies had supported the Student Loan Reform bill.
New York Times headline: MAY 17, 2012, 5:33 AM
Republicans in Senate Block Bill on Student Loan Rates
WASHINGTON — Senate Republicans on Tuesday blocked consideration of a Democratic bill to prevent the doubling of some student loan interest rates, leaving the legislation in limbo less than two months before rates on subsidized federal loans are set to shoot upward.
Democrats arrayed college students to plead for a yes vote. The bill was blocked on party lines.
Along party lines, the Senate voted 52 to 45 on a key procedural motion, failing to reach the 60 votes needed to begin debating the measure.
The vote was the Senate Republicans’ 21st successful filibuster of a Democratic bill this Congress, which started in January 2011. Republicans have blocked consideration of President Obama’s full jobs proposal, as well as legislation repealing tax breaks for oil companies, helping local governments pay teachers and first responders, and setting a minimum tax rate for households earning more than $1 million a year.
Republicans say the measures were flawed and potentially harmful to the economic recovery.
In an awkward move Wednesday, Senate Republicans voted overwhelmingly for two GOP-written budgets that would each let student loan interest rates spike in July, even as they insist they want to avert such an outcome.
Budget measures by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) (NOTE WHOM) and Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA) went down 41-58 and 42-57, respectively. Both let Stafford loan rates double from 3.4 to 6.8 percent, which President Obama and Democrats have been pushing to prevent. Mitt Romney and GOP leaders say they want to extend the existing rate but differ on how to pay for it. (SEE THE hypocrisy?)
The budget votes were largely a Republican effort to embarrass President Obama and Democrats for failing to coalesce around a long-term fiscal vision.
Then Ryan deals his coup de grace. He discounts the very point that Rice made – that some people are locked into their lot.
- Listen to the way we’re already spoken to already, as if everyone is stuck in some class or station in life, victims of circumstances beyond our control, with government there to help us cope with our fate…
HE cannot get the point that Rice makes…that one might not be able to control one’s circumstances but yes, one can control one’s response to one’s circumstances.
Mr. Ryan if you’re at the bottom of a well, which would you prefer? For a fireman to come and throw you a rope — or look down at you, laugh and say: Dig yourself out. Even with broken fingernails! Sure a determined person CAN dig him/herself out, but it’s a lot easier with that rope – or a spoon – or a shovel!
Ryan says leadership is missing from the White House – like there was an overflow of LEADERSHIP when George W. Bush was in the White House. Unless of course we factor in Bush’s egomaniacal Vice President Dick Cheney, who lived up to his name by leading Bush around by his…well, YOU know, Dick.
Maybe I’m biased…but so far, I am with Condi.
My Dream is that: “One day…one day, politicians will speak the truth. That this nation will rise up and demand capable leaders, men and women of integrity, black, white, Hispanic, Asian and Amerindian.
I have a dream that one day, a politician’s worth will no longer be determined by how much money he can raise and spend, but by the sum of his ideas, by his or her competence and not by his/her debating ability.
I have a dream that one day politicians will be chosen, not by the color of their skin or party, but by the inclusiveness of their vision.
Yes, I have a dream that one day, on these white steps of the Capitol, we will see a Republican and a Democrat stand side by side at a table of National Interest and Unity and shout: Free at last, Free at last. Thank God – we are free at last from partisan bickering!”
Sometimes when I’m too annoyed – I just refuse to write. Times I just want to rant! Like NOW…
When Mitt Romney’s running mate, Paul Ryan, the Representative from Wisconsin pays more in taxes than his multi-millionaire venture capitalist boss!
Romney’s adjusted gross income for 2010 was nearly 22 million but HIS TAX RATE WAS 13 PERCENT. Ah the loopholes of INVESTMENT INCOME! Ryan whose adjusted gross EARNED income was about 200-thousand in 2010, (300-thousand with some investment income, in 2011) paid taxes at a rate of 20-percent. Still Ryan stands there and says: That’s fine. I have less, let me pay more, it’s the American way!
Instead of fixing THAT tax loophole which we should WANT to fix but which will likely never be fixed…especially with the money being pumped this year into the campaigns of those who plan to ensure it stays UN-fixed – we turn around and buy into the cool aid that “Oh. You hate success!” Moronic. Yeah, the unsuccessful hate success so much they spend their time craving sucess and finding ways, straight and crooked, to achieve this elusive success!
Ever wonder why you’re being sold the American Dream when you’re really buying into a nightmare? After 300 years of Capitalism, how many millionaires do we have? If the system is geared for success, why are there so many failures? Large swathes of the population are simply left behind, abandoned – year after year after year? People living in Third World like sections of America, hidden and forgotten until there’s a flood? Then forgotten again…
So many of the so-called middle class are knock, knocking on the door to Millioniarehood – and will live and die like worker bees and never make it! Oh yes, some assets with the house and retirement plan (if there IS one), some stock, a possible savings account may add up to a million or more, on paper – but do they have a Mitt Romney lifestyle?
Can these so called Middle Class build a house with an elevator for cars? Spend $77-thousand on a horse – then still have 21 million to spend?
Do you have a movie star, sports athlete lifestyle? Can you buy a condo at a posh 5-star hotel like the Four Seasons overlooking the Boston Common where former Red Sox slugger Manny Ramirez lived?
According to the Census Bureau, the Median Income changed very little over the last 30 years with middle-income families earning 11-percent more in 2010 than they did in 1980…but the incomes of the richest 5-percent increased by 42-percent.
How many stress-filled years do the chasers of the “American Dream” have to commute? Long hours to work every day, braving dark, un-plowed winter mornings – working themselves ragged yet still struggling to maintain the trappings and put the kids through college, pay off the mortgage and go on vacation? Is that a dream? Or a paycheck or two away from disaster nightmare?
So someone says: “We created MORE new millionaires this year – ask: HOW MANY POOR DID YOU CREATE THIS YEAR? Nearly 3 million people slipped into poverty in the United States in 2011. Life is good for the 5-percent of the population that holds nearly ALL of the wealth. Yes, indeed that is a system that works…and SHOULD be protected.
Does nobody see maybe there is something wrong here? Maybe, just maybe we need to do some tweaking…a work in progress instead of a fait accompli?
- How can I not BE annoyed….???
When Paul Ryan says he is a STAUNCH AND STALWART champion of Medicare which is costing the government billions of dollars to provide health care for one segment of the population but HE does not want the government to provide similar healthcare coverage to other sectors of the population?
- How can I not BE annoyed….???
When Paul Ryan says he is so against the Stimulus that he just shudders with revulsion at the waste – oh the draining of government funds down the drain – how President Obama just flushed all those dollars down the toilet — then find out that HE, Paul Ryan asked for Stimulus dollars for his district. Well, he didn’t KNOW they were Stimulus Funds – he though the money was coming from China…or a Republican National Committee super PAC!
South Carolina Senator Strom Thurmond hated black people too…but fathered a child with his family’s black maid. Hypocrisy in government is not new!
By the way Ohio Republican, House Speaker John Boehner got millions of Stimulus dollars too for his District 8…including a garage, a transit center and The Banks Waterfront Project in Cincinnati.
Isn’t it strange how these Republicans preach one thing and actually DO something else? The other side does it too? Well THAT gives your guys the moral high ground…a very BELIEVABLE high road that is so justified, because if two minuses make a plus – then surely two wrongs do make a right!?
Wonder how often these congressmen go to confessional – to God or priest.
“Oh father…dear Jesus…I have sinned. I lied, I accused the Democrats of hypocrisy, but I’m just as hypocritical…I said they took Stimulus money, BUT I DID TOO…oh father…have I done wrong?”
“NO, no my son…God is good, God is forgiving…God understands how politics works. We expect Democrats, their political leaders, to lie and cheat and steal…(and have sex with men in airport restrooms) but Republicans ONLY do these things to get votes…so you can win the election and institute Christian Law on this God forsaking nation. So I understand, my child – that in this case, YOUR end justifies the means.”
“Er, forgive me, Jesus, but that incident in the airport bathroom, that was Larry Craig, a Republican…”
“I know my son (wink, wink) I know…”
From the Gospel according to John Boehner…the missing book of Rove.
Paul Ryan, THE Romney anointed “Intellectual Leader” of the Republicans, says president Obama is going back to the “old ways” of doing things. Obama keeps embracing the failed policies of the past…so why don’t we instead continue the policies of George Bush that worked so well IN THE FUTURE and implement MORE tax cuts?
Is there ANY Republican in America, at least ONE, who will stand up and say: “NO. Please let us NOT go back to this. Please let us try something NEW? Or do they perhaps see this as NEW?
I guess to THEM it IS new because it’s being proposed by a NEW presidential contender! (Some would agree that Romney, a man who spent 8 years running for president, 4 years as Massachusetts governor and who also ran for the U.S Senate against Ted Kennedy (and failed) is not new, but whom am I to say otherwise?
So according to Paul Ryan, please let us NOT go back to old ways of doing things, YES, let us charge forward with the NEW old idea of Tax cuts for the wealthy.
I don’t give a hoot about the nonsense you’re telling me, BOTH of you parties, about who’ll cut billions from Medicare or add billions to Medicare. Take that darn money and have ONE Health Care program that covers everybody!
Seniors are covered – Children are covered and the rest of America is what? Disposable? Is health care only for those who can afford it? All this NEW technology to scan every minute body cell we see on the news – that’s for whom? Those with money only?
The same people who authorize billions of dollars for a useless war in Iraq, who send billions to countries who go their own arrogant way, the same Congressmen who waste billions on a stupid LOSING “War on Drugs” that has been going on for decades with what to show for it – gun fights along the US/Mexico border?
The same lawmakers who turn blind eyes to government WASTE, like malfunctioning defense equipment costing billions of dollars or the department of Agriculture PAYING rich land holders NOT to farm land they have no intentions of farming, anyway — will BALK, RESIST and CHAFE over spending money to ensure Americans have health care coverage or that fire stations stay open.
Do Republicans really think that Romney will deport immigrants? Yeah! Wait. He’ll deal with China…and Russia too! Hey Mr. Putin, Romney is coming — with Ryan behind him! YOU scared yet?
Stupidity should be a crime…that carries nothing less than life in prison!
Well helloo Tea Party…
SO YOU WANT ROMNEY TO MOVE TO THE RIGHT? HOW EXTREME do you want him to go? Where does he STOP leaning over before he FALLS off?
Do you know that Mormons are not allowed to drink black tea, green tea and other caffeinated teas…?
Well how about that!
NO “Tea” for Mitt Romney….
Is or else an option? Can you pin him down? Are you sure now…?
Guess you’re wondering about that too, hmnnn…
Not so sure IF Romney will SAY ONE THING: like he will repeal Obamacare — then FLIP-FLOP and instead of repealing the federal Health Care Act, turn it into a version of Romneycare, with a mandate? After all, if he could do it here (in Massachusetts), he can do it anywhere, right?
SONG: Tootsee Roll by the 69 Boys
Cotton candy sweet to go, let me see that Tootsee Roll
Come on, Tootsee Roll, just make that Tootsee Roll
Here we go, Tootsee Roll, yeah, Tootsee Roll
Let me see that Tootsee Roll
Get on the floor and make that Tootsee Roll
To the left
To the left
To the right
To the right
To the front
To the front
To the back
To the back
Now slide just slide baby slide just slide
Just dip, cotton candy free to go
Let me see the Tootsee Roll.
Yeah, governor Romney – let us see that Tootsie roll!!!