Archive for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
I would like someone, anyone, particularly republicans (and especially Ted Cruz) TO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW ON EARTH he plans to WIN a general election…across an America that does NOT give a fig about his brand of “values” especially those that say gays should NOT be able to marry whomever they choose – and that undocumented immigrants should be rounded up and deported even if they’ve lived in the U.S. for decades!
(I’m not asking how Cruz plans to campaign and what his strategy is). I just want Cruz to explain to me:
1. WHICH are THE states that he sees himself WINNING in a general election?
2. More specifically, among the states that President Obama won, which are the ones Cruz sees will go to him in 2016 ?
3. Does he see himself winning California, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts etc?
4. Does Cruz see himself winning over Democrats and Independents?
5. Does Cruz see himself winning the BLACK vote?
6. Does Cruz see himself winning the Hispanic vote?
7. Does Cruz see himself winning the Immigrant vote?
8. Does Cruz see himself winning with the Gay/Transgender community?
9. Or do republicans think that they can win a presidential election with only the “conservative” vote?
10. Does Cruz understand that he is winning with only the Tea Party faction within the Republican Party?Unlike Donald Trump, he has so far NOT pulled in a diverse demographic.
Moderate, aka “Establishment” republicans DON’T like Cruz – they don’t want him as their nominee. (Yes, they’re now saying they may hold their nose and vote for him just to oppose Donald Trump) but HE is not their first or even second or any choice. But he thinks that the nation likes him – when his own republicans find him too extreme!
11. The Republican Party is a joke – it has long tried to SUPPRESS voting by poor people, minorities/immigrants. NOW it’s coming up with ways to try to suppress voting by its OWN republicans. That should be easy give the GOP’s history!
The God republicans like to laud so much (when it suits them) is indeed alive — and laughing!
The way I see it, even if every old or poorly educated or rural Tea Party white person who’s never voted turns out to vote for Cruz, (will Trump’s coalition vote for Cruz?) he still needs the rest of us, don’t he? Or do he?
Maybe he don’t – bring it on!
I can already see the ads reminding us about the government shutdown…and threatened shutdowns…and NO compromise…and the efforts he led, SUCCESSFULLY, to DERAIL Immigration Reform and to CHALLENGE Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and to BLOCK President Obama’s executive Order on Immigration.
Hispanics, the fastest growing voting bloc, just LOVE Ted Cruz. Trump says he would deport the undocumented and “let them come back” with conditions. Cruz says: I’ll round you up and DEPORT you and you can take your U.S. born kids with you plus YOU WILL NOT EVER COME BACK IF I CAN HELP IT! Such Christian charity and compassion…such values!
As of 2013, Cuban immigrants made up nearly 3-percent of the immigrants living in America…that’s MORE than a million Cuban immigrants who, incidentally, are NOT taking U.S. jobs – they’re all somehow working in Florida for Fidel Castro. (I’m NOT bashing YOU, Cuban immigrant. I’m an immigrant too! Just calling out Cruz on immigrants taking U.S. jobs!)
Like I said: BRING IT ON!
Because democrats may not be flocking to the Primaries like republicans are right now, but rest assured, a nominee Cruz WOULD BRING every old or poorly educated or urban black, Hispanic, immigrant, gay person out of the woodwork too!
Did I say “bring it on!”? Let’s cruise…Cruz!
Photos: Google images
…like the “Fiscal Cliff” which turned out to be more of a bungee jump. And Gun Control. Is Health Care Reform making a comeback – or do we leave that for the next Administration? Medicare and Social Security? Those hot potatoes will continue to be kicked down the road until the road ends at some yet to be named cliff.
And of course the “Debt Ceiling” where you’re never told which floor you’re standing on! Are we in the basement aiming for the ceiling in the 10th floor? Or are we already in the Penthouse?
“Well class, what is it we’re pulling out of the freezer and putting back in the microwave? Yes Maureen, you have your hand up? Do you know what we’re defrosting today?
Yes, miss Conlibe: “Immigration Reform.”
“Correct, but how did you know!”
” My mom is undocumented, miss, and my brother and sister are “Dream Kids” but I was born here in America.
“Oohhh…I see. Well…”
Indeed, well – WHAT…?
Can we please stop fooling around and FOCUS on IMMIGRATION REFORM? Or shall we find yet another reason to push it to the background – AGAIN?
First it was the Fiscal Cliff and then it was guns. WELL… guns are out of the way, if you buy into the National Rifle Association (NRA) argument that the violence in America is NOT caused by guns. Blame video games. And Hollywood movies. And mental health issues – which no other country has except America. The video games in Japan feature Tom and Jerry. The action movies in China are all Musicals and nobody in Canada has mental issues.
Here’s something else the U.S government is not telling you – WILL NEVER TELL YOU, BECAUSE it is a TOP secret. But I KNOW. (Remember, I was the person who first told you about another TOP government secret involving President Obama’s birth certificate – the REAL one. Was it not I who found out that documents proving that President Obama is an alien are being kept in a super secret bunker under Hawaii’s Mount Kilauea?)
Well here’s more classified information: It seems Americans have a “Convict Genome” which only manifests itself IN America.
The mutation was engineered by scientists in England in the early 1600’s during tests on convicts at Newgate prison. The British, being the wily savants they are, shipped all these mutated folks to America to “settle the colonies.” (Australia got the subjects who were given placebos. The Brits did not want to take any chances, so they separated the two control groups and surreptitiously continued to monitor them for generations!)
Stop and THINK about it…about what would happen if Americans access to guns is limited, like in Canada, say…or Japan.
We’d be walking around all “violented” up from video games and action movies with NO guns to act out our “violentness”. Here we’d be – thumbs itching to shoot something – and all we’d have are nunchucks. Oh the mass horror!
But let us talk Immigration Reform…and here we are, back to Square One. Again. 6-years (June 2007) after President Bush and the now late Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) tried to bring about some measure of Immigration Reform – a bill that thanks to Republicans, crashed and burnt in the U.S. Senate, yes HERE WE ARE! Seeing all the reasons why it is GOOD now but was BAD then!
President George W. Bush ran into fierce opposition from his fellow Republicans in both the House and Senate. Republicans back then called the bill Amnesty that rewarded illegal immigrants.
Today, look whooo’s scrabbling to get on the Immigration Reform bandwagon? Republicans! Why? Demographics and voting blocs. Darn. Majority, unlike Compromise, has become THE wo-on-derful word of the second term that Republicans could not prevent!
Republican Sen. Marco Rubio (FL) is calling on his fellow Republicans to support a plan that would give undocumented immigrants legal status and an eventual path to citizenship provided they meet certain criteria like paying taxes, background checks etc…
(Hey Governor Romney – why did you choose Paul Ryan as your running mate instead of Rubio? Never mind. So glad you did). Latinos put President Obama on top in Florida, so with a heavily Hispanic constituency Rubio is bowing with the wind direction. But get this: Fox TV host Bill O’Reilly is also joining the list of conservative pundits jumping on the immigration reform bandwagon…and calling Rubio’s plan, WHICH IS SIMILAR TO ONE PROPOSED BY PRESIDENT OBAMA: “reasonable.”
The VERY SAME Bill O’Reilly who blamed Undocumented Immigrants for drunk driving deaths, the same Fox News that has led the charge against Immigration Reform – is now pushing FOR Immigration Reform. Halleluiah! Every politician and political interest loves Hispanics now!
Among them, former Secretary of Commerce (George W. Bush) and Mitt Romney adviser, Carlos Gutierrez, U.S. Chamber of Commerce President Tom Donohue, Indiana Attorney General Gregory Zoeller, Barrett Duke of the Southern Baptist Convention, Johnny Young of the Conference of Catholic Bishops and Rosario Marin who served as US Treasurer under President George W. Bush.
Immigration Reform is long, LONG overdue. NOT because Hispanics make up a large and decisive voting bloc but because it is the right thing to do.
I have argued FOR Immigration reform in earlier posts.
An estimated 6-million kids in this country have at least ONE parent who is Undocumented. Florida alone has nearly 2-million kids who are Undocumented Immigrants. US Citizenship and Immigration Services, (USCIS) says (by the end of 2012) 368-thousand Undocumented “Dream Kids” had applied for “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals” after the Obama Administration opened the program in August 2012.
Applications are coming in at about 5-thousand per day – yet advocates say just a fraction of the millions of eligible Undocumented Immigrant youth are applying to the program. At $465 per application, the US Treasury has (as of Dec 2012) raked in $171-million from that ONE program alone.
Imagine what will happen with Adult applicants! I think the Federal Government should hand this money over to the States…
America – yes IT IS TIME. Time to free a large section of the populace who live in the shadows. Time to free thousands upon thousands of bright immigrant kids who are waiting for a chance at the American Dream. Time to unleash the vast, untapped power of 14-million consumers who will be proud and free to buy cars, houses, open businesses, travel/take vacations, book airline seats, rent vehicles and pump money into the economy because they will now be able to work and spend money openly and legally.
ALL CONGRESS IS CALLED UPON TO DO IS THIS: Allow Undocumented Immigrants to apply for a Green Card, Work Authorization and Social Security Number. THAT’S ALL YOU NEED TO DO, CONGRESS.
Don’t worry about Citizenship. THAT is already spelled out in AMERICA’S Immigration Laws (below). Those who qualify will apply, SIMPLE. There is NO reason to make the easy difficult.
To be able to apply for citizenship through naturalization, you have to meet the following requirements. You should:
- Be 18 years of age or above.
- A lawful permanent resident for 5 years (3 years if married to a US citizen).
- Have maintained continuous residence during the past 5 years (3 years if married to a US citizen).
- Have maintained physical presence during the past 5 years (3 years if married to a US citizen).
- Have good moral character.
- Have basic knowledge of English.
- Have basic knowledge of US government and history.
- Be willing to take the Oath of Allegiance.
What is the issue? It’s ALREADY spelled out…
And don’t give me this nonsensical argument about people who are waiting in their foreign countries while their lawful relatives file for them. Boo hoo! Most Undocumented Immigrants are young healthy workers who come here to work, not elderly parents being sponsored for healthcare reasons.
Just because a prospective immigrant waiting in his/her foreign country has a relative in America, THAT does NOT give that person more of a RIGHT to be here than the person WHO IS ALREADY HERE, who’s already self-sufficient, can get around, has built a life, learnt the language, knows the ropes and in most cases, IS ALREADY CONTRIBUTING TO THE ECONOMY.
(And NO, I’m NOT saying people waiting to come here legally should lose out either. Both categories can co-exist.)
Photos: Google Images
Since our two-party system makes provision for a Republican to also run in the race for President of America, shouldn’t that Republican BE Condoleezza Rice?
Condi versus Obama.
The Republicans don’t KNOW a good thing when they have it – the black male “rock star” president vs. the black female “rock star” former Secretary of State! And NOT just any female either, this is a woman who comes from the face of segregated America: Birmingham, Alabama.
Republicans should have gone in droves to Condoleezza Rice and begged, threatened, cajoled, seduced, threatened — maybe even sent former Vice President Dick Cheney to FORCE Rice to be their nominee. They could have with one GO broken the perception that they are racist, dismissed the notion that the reason so many of them hate Obama is because he is black and just sucked in the female vote. Va-va-vroom…
But NO. They had to go with the anti-Condoleezza. Pass on spicy for bland…
Can you envision a debate between Barak Obama and Condoleezza Rice? WHO would NOT watch? The WORLD would watch…
Republicans could have bagged Colin Powell. But NO. Condi and Powell DO NOT SIT WELL WITH the racist Tea Party arm now controlling the Republican Party.
Let us look at Condoleezza Rice’s speech to the 2012 Republican National Convention in Tampa/Florida August 29. All you’re getting is Ryan’s FLUFF shoved down your throat!
Rice starts by saying:
“We gather here at a time of significance and challenge. This young century has been a difficult one…
(She refers to 9-11 then adds) “From that day on…our sense of vulnerability and our concepts of security were never the same again.
Then, in 2008, the global financial and economic crisis would stun us. And it still reverberates as we deal with unemployment and economic uncertainty and bad policies that cast a pall over an American economy and a recovery that is
desperately needed at home and abroad.
(She goes on to refer to developments in the Middle East and what America should do about Syria and Iran) “Russia and China prevent a response, and everyone asks, where does America stand?”
So far I agree with everything she’s said.
America’s sense of vulnerability and our concepts of security will NEVER be the same again.
- The financial crisis did NOT stun me because anyone with an ounce of sense could foresee this coming. Some people were warning and urging caution.
- YES! We are still reverberating from the massive job losses and economic uncertainty that started under Republican rule with former President George W. Bush’s wars and tax cuts…and other bad policies. These policies cast a pall over America’s economy and the recovery that is desperately needed at home and abroad.
- And yes. Russia and China are blocking American intervention.
Condi says the world is asking: “Where does America stand? Since world war II, the United States has had an answer to that question. We stand for free peoples and free markets. We will defend and support them. We will sustain a balance of power that favors freedom.
She goes on to make the case for INTERVENTIONISM – praising the soldiers who put their lives on the line to secure American Freedom and then goes on to say the question of the hour is:
- “Where does America stand? You see when the friends or foes alike don’t know the answer to that question, unambiguously and clearly, the world is likely to be a more dangerous and chaotic place.” There is no choice, because one of two things will happen if we don’t lead. Either no one will lead and there will be chaos, or someone will fill the vacuum who does not share our values.
I don’t agree with her there on her method. Rice subscribes to the Bush Doctrine of Preemptive strikes (the one Sarah Palin had never heard of). Rice, (like Bush, Cheney, Bush’s Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and his deputy Paul Wolfowitz and many Republicans) believe that wherever around the world some dictator rattles his sabers, especially against “Freedom”, America should pull out her big guns and go bang, bang!
BUT, IF the rattling is coming from a huge powerhouse like China or Russia – THEN obviously we CAN’T invade THEM, so what do we do then?
NOW there is a FUNDAMENTAL question that Americans need to answer: HOW do you deal with Russia and China?
Romney and Ryan say THEY will haul China before the World Trade Organization. I’m sure that will work on so many levels. Because if you earn $200-thousand-a year, then borrow 20 million dollars from your neighbor and he’s holding your house and your cars as collateral, then of course the one thing you want to do is sue your neighbor.
Would you try to talk to him, bring him cookies, offer to watch his kids, kiss his (you know) unobtrusively of course, ’cause he’s got you over a barrel? A barrel YOU allowed HIM to put you over with your run-away conspicuous consumption which you could NOT afford? If you’re a Democrat you play nice. You hate to kiss his (you know) but you’re smart and you like your nice, big house and fancy car.
If you’re a Republican, you being the MACHO moron that you are, you tell your neighbor, the one holding your loan – “Go —- yourself!” And then sit at home and smirk as you imagine him renegotiating a new loan for you with a lower interest rate. That’s what Republicans expect. That they will step on your toes and you will be so grateful, you will still love them, because they are, well, Republicans! These people have NO concept of ACTION – REACTION. OF ACTION – CONSEQUENCE. (Naturally, they blame the consequences on someone else!)
Back to Rice:
- We must work for an open, global economy, and pursue free and fair trade, to grow our exports and our influence abroad. If you are worried about the rise of China, just consider this — the United States has…ratified only three trade agreements in the last few years, and those were negotiated in the Bush administration. China has signed 15 free trade agreements and is in the progress of negotiating as many as 18 more. Sadly, we are abandoning the field of free and fair trade and it will come back to haunt us. AGREE
- We must not allow the chance to attain energy independence to slip from our grasp. We are blessed with a gift of oil and gas resources here in North America, and we must develop them. We can develop them sensitively, we can develop them securing our environment, but we must develop them. And we have the ingenuity to develop alternatives sources of energy. AGREE
(Rice says Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will rebuild the foundation of our strength, the American economy — stimulating private sector growth and stimulating small business entrepreneurship…BALONEY!)
- When the world looks at us today, they see an American government that cannot live within its means. They see an American government that continues to borrow money, that will mortgage the future of generations to come. The world knows that when a nation loses control of its finances, it eventually loses control of its destiny. That is not the America that has inspired people to follow our lead. AGREE.
Now we see here WHAT substance IS! Yes she’s got her ideology – and I don’t always agree. But by gosh she’s got some foundations in her speech that BOTH parties can use as STARTING POINTS to a productive dialog – ASSUMING they want to?
According to Rice:
- You see, the essence of America, what really unites us, is not nationality or ethnicity or religion. It is an idea. And what an idea it is. That you can come from humble circumstances and you can do great things, that it does not matter where you came from, it matters where you are going. SO TRUE!
- My fellow Americans, ours has never been a narrative of grievance and entitlement. We have never believed that I am doing poorly because you are doing well. We have never been jealous of one another and never envious of each others’ successes. SO TRUE!
Republicans applauded here – because they’ve bought into the silly dialog that Romney and the other Republicans put forward to mask their questionable financial practices – the one that says those of us who question the Romney’s finances do so because we are envious. I can’t speak for everybody, there may be some who envy the Romney’s for their lifestyle. But I’m not envious. Just practice what you preach.
But Rice could also be saying: Stop your silly mouthing that criticism of financial wrongdoing is “envy” because until you came up with that nonsense “ours has never been a narrative of grievance and entitlement. We have never believed that I am doing poorly because you are doing well. We have never been jealous of one another and never envious of each others’ successes.”
- No…ours has been a belief in opportunity. And it has been a constant struggle, long and hard, up and down, to try to extend the benefits of the American dream to all. But that American ideal is indeed in danger today. There is no country, no, not even a rising China that can do more harm to us than we can do to ourselves if we do not do the hard work before us here at home. AGAIN – SO TRUE!
On Immigration Reform:
- More than at any other time in history, greatness is built on mobilizing human potential and ambition…People have come here from all over because they have believed our creed of opportunity and limitless horizons. They have come here from the world’s most impoverished nations just to make a decent wage. And they have come here from advanced societies as engineers and scientists that fuel the knowledge-based revolution in the Silicon Valley of California, in the Research Triangle of North Carolina, along Route 128 in Massachusetts, in Austin, Texas, and across this great land.
- We must continue to welcome the world’s most ambitious people to be a part of us. In that way, we stay young and optimistic and determined. We need immigration laws that protect our borders, meet our economic needs, and yet show that we are a compassionate nation of immigrants.
- We have been successful too because Americans have known that one’s status of birth is not a permanent condition. Americans have believed that you might not be able to control your circumstances but you can control your response to your circumstances.
STOP. RUN THAT BY ME AGAIN!!!???
- Americans have believed that you might not be able to control your circumstances but you can control your RESPONSE to your circumstances.
Oh Condoleezza – I love you. You get it. You really, really do! (Paul Ryan would follow Rice on the podium and shoot down everything Rice says here – but we know that Ryan, like Romney, do NOT GET it. )
- And your greatest ally in controlling your response to your circumstances has been a quality education. But today, today, when I can look at your zip code and I can tell whether you’re going to get a good education, can I honestly say it does not matter where you came from, it matters where you are going? The crisis in K-12 education is a threat to the very fabric of who we are.
- My mom was a teacher. I respect the profession. We need great teachers, not poor ones and not mediocre ones. We have to have high standards for our kids, because self-esteem comes from achievement, not from lax standards and false praise. And we need to give parents greater choice, particularly, particularly poor parents whose kids, very often minorities, are trapped in failing neighborhood schools. This is the civil rights issue of our day.
RUN THAT ONE BY ME AGAIN, TOO!
- “We need to give parents greater choice, particularly, particularly poor parents whose kids, very often minorities, are trapped in failing neighborhood schools. This is the civil rights issue of our day.”
Here’s the TALENT the Republicans have at their fingertips…and see whom (or is it WHAT?) they nominated! And YOU tell ME how STUPID this party is!!!
And so here is the story. The HUMANISING story we cannot manufacture to seduce voters.
- On a personal note, a little girl grows up in Jim Crow Birmingham. The segregated city of the south where her parents cannot take her to a movie theater or to restaurants, but they have convinced that even if she cannot have it hamburger at Woolworths, she can be the president of the United States if she wanted to be, and she becomes the secretary of state.
Then Tea party Boy Dahling Paul Ryan comes on…and he plays to the Party Base, spouts the juvenile nonsense you expect from HIM. I’m looking at Ryan, seeing a pretty…a very pretty empty face. Yes, he is quite good looking.
- “Obama Care comes to more than 2,000 pages of rules, mandates, taxes, fees and fines that have no place in a free country.” HUH? What has No place in a free country? Pages? Rules? Mandates – like the one Mitt Romney slapped on us here in Massachusetts for ROMNEYCARE, our state healthcare for all? Taxes? As in the Supreme Court has decided to call that MANDATE a TAX? Fees and Fines like the ones Romney RAISED on us here in Massachusetts?
According to FactCheck.org: The Massachusetts Department of Administration and Finance put the fee total at $260 million a year and the corporate tax change at $174 million a year, and the independent Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation said both fees and taxes totaled $740 million to $750 million a year (split about evenly between fees and corporate taxes). But Romney CAN SAY HE DID NOT RAISE TAXES…because being Romney, he came up with a devious, UNDERHAND creative accounting way to do so!
- College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life.
NO Mr. Ryan, college grads should NOT have to live back home in their childhood bedrooms if you and your Republican buddies had supported the Student Loan Reform bill.
New York Times headline: MAY 17, 2012, 5:33 AM
Republicans in Senate Block Bill on Student Loan Rates
WASHINGTON — Senate Republicans on Tuesday blocked consideration of a Democratic bill to prevent the doubling of some student loan interest rates, leaving the legislation in limbo less than two months before rates on subsidized federal loans are set to shoot upward.
Democrats arrayed college students to plead for a yes vote. The bill was blocked on party lines.
Along party lines, the Senate voted 52 to 45 on a key procedural motion, failing to reach the 60 votes needed to begin debating the measure.
The vote was the Senate Republicans’ 21st successful filibuster of a Democratic bill this Congress, which started in January 2011. Republicans have blocked consideration of President Obama’s full jobs proposal, as well as legislation repealing tax breaks for oil companies, helping local governments pay teachers and first responders, and setting a minimum tax rate for households earning more than $1 million a year.
Republicans say the measures were flawed and potentially harmful to the economic recovery.
In an awkward move Wednesday, Senate Republicans voted overwhelmingly for two GOP-written budgets that would each let student loan interest rates spike in July, even as they insist they want to avert such an outcome.
Budget measures by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) (NOTE WHOM) and Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA) went down 41-58 and 42-57, respectively. Both let Stafford loan rates double from 3.4 to 6.8 percent, which President Obama and Democrats have been pushing to prevent. Mitt Romney and GOP leaders say they want to extend the existing rate but differ on how to pay for it. (SEE THE hypocrisy?)
The budget votes were largely a Republican effort to embarrass President Obama and Democrats for failing to coalesce around a long-term fiscal vision.
Then Ryan deals his coup de grace. He discounts the very point that Rice made – that some people are locked into their lot.
- Listen to the way we’re already spoken to already, as if everyone is stuck in some class or station in life, victims of circumstances beyond our control, with government there to help us cope with our fate…
HE cannot get the point that Rice makes…that one might not be able to control one’s circumstances but yes, one can control one’s response to one’s circumstances.
Mr. Ryan if you’re at the bottom of a well, which would you prefer? For a fireman to come and throw you a rope — or look down at you, laugh and say: Dig yourself out. Even with broken fingernails! Sure a determined person CAN dig him/herself out, but it’s a lot easier with that rope – or a spoon – or a shovel!
Ryan says leadership is missing from the White House – like there was an overflow of LEADERSHIP when George W. Bush was in the White House. Unless of course we factor in Bush’s egomaniacal Vice President Dick Cheney, who lived up to his name by leading Bush around by his…well, YOU know, Dick.
Maybe I’m biased…but so far, I am with Condi.
My Dream is that: “One day…one day, politicians will speak the truth. That this nation will rise up and demand capable leaders, men and women of integrity, black, white, Hispanic, Asian and Amerindian.
I have a dream that one day, a politician’s worth will no longer be determined by how much money he can raise and spend, but by the sum of his ideas, by his or her competence and not by his/her debating ability.
I have a dream that one day politicians will be chosen, not by the color of their skin or party, but by the inclusiveness of their vision.
Yes, I have a dream that one day, on these white steps of the Capitol, we will see a Republican and a Democrat stand side by side at a table of National Interest and Unity and shout: Free at last, Free at last. Thank God – we are free at last from partisan bickering!”