Colin Powell called it about Iraq – when he said: If we break it, we own it! Except NOW we don’t want it!
Today a force of militants calling themselves the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) is nearing Baghdad, after marching across Iraq like a plague of locusts, destroying all opposition in it’s path. Al Queda is afraid of them – does that make you nervous?
Isis — Egyptian goddess – friend to the downtrodden. The name means: throne! Married her brother Osiris – and used her magic to restore his life after his body parts were scattered across the world. Symbolic, yes?
I am as outraged today as I was in 2003 when U.S. King George II (Bush the Younger) bombed Iraq. I still don’t understand WHY America invaded Iraq and toppled Saddam Hussein. I know of all the given reasons: U.S. gas and oil-guzzling interests; revenge for a slight to the president’s father (U.S King George the First) or Weapons Of Mass Destruction (WMDs). But I still don’t get it…Why? Why, why?
Now Republicans – look back and tell me Iraq and the Middle East were NOT more stable with Saddam in power?
Naturally republicans are blaming Obama – because he withdrew US troops, took them out of a situation they could NOT win. We should have left them to be blown up to bits every day -to return home with missing limbs and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) the Veteran’s Administration is now faking it treated! Iraq today is NOT all about Obama and his choices. Obama had to treat an outbreak amid a republican-induced epidemic! Right or wrong, neither choice (leave troops/pull troops) could fix Iraq…just delay the inevitable.
If only republicans would say: “Gosh we messed up big time by invading Iraq, but pulling troops out did not help either”. OK, I’d buy that. But they ALL blame Obama, like what they did was working so well: Every Iraqi was overjoyed with the overthrow of the Saddam regime; the Sunnis were happy, the Shiites were content, the Kurds up north were waving the Iraqi flag and neighboring countries were in raptures! It was one big happy family holding July 4 barbecues; the surge was surging until Obama came along and blew all that hard work (or piece of pie as Republicans probably see it) by sending the troops home!
TEXAS Republican Michael McCaul, Chair of House Committee on Homeland Security, is on TV Sunday morning (6/15) urging the U.S. BACK into Iraq and blaming Obama for the debacle in Iraq. HE DOES NOT SEE THAT THERE WOULD BE NO ISIS WITHOUT THE REPUBLICAN GENERATED PSEUDO SCENARIO THEY SOLD TO GULLIBLE AMERICANS FOR THE GOP’s IMMORAL INVASION OF A COUNTRY THAT WAS NO THREAT. Naturally, send the troops back – and ISIS will just give up. Syria will be magically mended; Iran will stop enriching Uranium…and Israel will no longer want to bomb any of these countries. Magic…
So republicans want US troops back in Iraq? How about them giving their kids a crash course in Terrorism 101 and sending their pampered offspring to Iraq to face the invading ISIS jihadists? Pull their kids out of their fancy schools and well-paying jobs, give them body armor that is deficient and send them off to Iraq!
And until then, please DON’T ask more mostly poor and disenfranchised kids to lay down their lives for your misguided ideological nonsense. Until every Senator and every Representative is willing to don fatigues and go to Iraq, they need to STOP sending other people’s kids/loved ones to get blown by homemade bombs then return to a broken and underfunded Veteran’s Administration.
So House MAJORITY Leader, Virginia Republican Eric Cantor lost his reelection bid. Great. They ALL need to lose. House speaker John Boehner should be next…
Lesson for Democrats: Gerrymandering does NOT work! (Not that democrats will listen to no-trust-fund insignificant ME, who can’t afford to pay $50-thousand for a plate of food OR $100-thousand if I brought my son!) However, Listen up Democrats: gerrymandering – creating ideological districts that you think will benefit you – DOES NOT WORK in the long run AND MAY NOT WORK THE WAY YOU THINK IT WILL!
The best district is one where there is an ebb and flow. It is a MIX of ideology, thought, feeling, support, demographics and party loyalty. It is one where people vote for a Republican today but can also vote for a Democrat tomorrow. It is one where the Representative can vote on a popular issue or one he believes IN, even if some constituents DO NOT; a vote that may be in the interest of the country but not necessarily in the best interest of that district OR political party…a district where the majority of a DIVERSE view counts more than the narrow, petty view of a minority.
Republicans are sowing the seeds of the gerrymandering districts they created JUST TO CONTROL THE HOUSE. Well you control it now. Nice feeling ain’t it? You created lily-white districts where immigration is not an issue for them. So even though many states and major U.S. cities are reeling from the effects of unchecked immigration, even if farmers and many other industries are dependent on immigrant labor, even if the LEGAL immigration system is inadequate, even if the current impasse on immigration is allowing millions of UNDOCUMENTED workers to remain in the shadows, so what? Doesn’t affect me – don’t care!
Well, here’s the scenario facing the GOP:
- Republicans will NEVER win the majority of Hispanic voters with their stand on Immigration. For nearly EVERY Hispanic who can vote, he/she knows of, loves or has a family member WHO IS UNDOCUMENTED and is depending on Immigration Reform to get that person legalized. Hispanics are not PRO Immigration Reform for noble or ideological reasons – they support it because they want their mother, father, uncle, cousin, lover, spouse, best friend, relative, neighbor to BE LEGAL!
- That holds true for voters from OTHER immigrant groups. Asians are another large voting bloc that is tied to Immigration Reform. Do Republicans realize the number of Vietnamese, Chinese, Koreans, Philippinos and other nationalities like Haitians, Jamaicans/English Caribbean, Irish, Eastern Europeans, Indians etc who are HERE in the US with similar desires/reasons for Immigration Reform?
- The Tea Party is NOT, repeat NOT popular nationally. How can it be, when we just heard that Cantor also lost in part because he supported the move to compromise on the Government Shutdown. The Tea Party STILL thinks that the government SHOULD HAVE REMAINED CLOSED UNTIL THEY GOT WHAT THEY WANTED. STILL think this is the way to go when America came so CLOSE to the brink of economic, social and political disaster. Yet, they want a repeat – and beyond a repeat, they want the system to crash so they can remake it in their image.
- Republicans deserve this debacle because they are afraid to kick the Tea Party out. KICK THEM OUT! Take the next 4 years to rebuild and rebrand. Pass Immigration Reform – DON’T push the president to take matters into his own hands. Compromise, roll your sleeves, get working IN THE INTEREST OF THE COUNTRY instead of preserving what works for you and your party. What’s best for any one party may not necessarily be best for America. Think slavery!
- Choose a speaker with guts/cahones who is vested in moving the country (not his career) forward. Because the harder Boehner tries to protect his job and the more he sells his soul to do that, the more the job slips AWAY from him. Trying to please EVERYBODY never works.
Still, maybe the Tea Party win in Virginia will make some “genuine” Republicans step up and say: “Enough. I’m not sending this uncompromising guy to Washington…I want someone who will NOT shut the government down, someone who will cross the aisle, someone who is willing to meet democrats halfway and even sometimes three-quarters of the way, instead of someone who is doggedly holding his ground even when that ground is slipping into the ocean”.
John Boehner is one of the worst House Speakers. To me he’s even worse than Newt Gingrich. At least with Gingrich there was the “Contract With America”. With Boehner there’s what? Crying, I guess… Ironically, Boehner was part of the Republican posse who gave Gingrich the ultimatum: “Resign – or be voted out!” Live by the sword, die by the sword. Well Boehner: Resign or be voted out! Which one…?
Crying works for some people – but won’t work for you Boehner. Now if Michelle Bachman started crying…(don’t say it. Please don’t. Thanks…)