What does it say about the Romneys – that Mitt Romney’s wife is on TV telling the world that she had a miscarriage – well SEVERAL miscarriages, actually – with the SOLE purpose of making us, luring us, seducing us, FORCING us into liking the unlikable Mitt Romney…???
Revealing their family’s deeply PERSONAL details, in a calculated bid to put a HUMAN face on Mr. Aloof Romney.
I was watching Ann Romney and I was uncomfortable. To me it’s a CRINGE factor.
WHY? Mrs. Romney, Why…? For political gain??? Come now…
Why are you telling us about your miscarriages? You could have had a million miscarriages and this does not make your husband MORE (or less) suitable to be President than if you had NO miscarriages at all.
I just do not understand why the Republican Party and the Romney’s feel that regurgitating their PERSONAL family secrets are necessary to win the presidency? NO, Mrs. Romney. Release YOUR TAX RETURNS. THAT is what American voters want to know.
- How much money you really have…
- Where do you bank your money – because banking in America means more money for banks to lend out and more money to INVEST in this country and CREATE THE JOBS that you and Republicans are braying about so much.
- How much taxes did you pay to the US government to help them maintain the roads and other services that you now want to cut…
- You were taxed at WHAT TAX RATE? We know that for 2010 you paid a LOWER rate than middle class families. You paid 13-percent on a gross adjusted income of $22 MILLION while your running mate Paul Ryan who made about $200-300 THOUSAND (2010/2011) paid at a higher tax rate of 15-20 percent.
- How much money are you hiding in off-shore banks OUTSIDE America? The government has begun to go after super-rich Americans like you who hide their money overseas. This costs the government, voters and the economy billions of dollars in LOST revenue. If you are elected, will YOU go after these super-rich tax dodgers, Mr. Romney?
THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO HEAR, Mr. Romney. NOT your personal family secrets.
No amount of miscarriages, kids disillusionments or personal illnesses will make me feel sympathetic enough to vote for you, (or anybody else) unless your case is similar to that of a Gabby Giffords. I do not know Gabby Giffords, but you, Mrs. Romney, are NO Gabby Giffords.
(Giffords, a U.S Representative from Arizona, was shot in the head 2011 during a meet and greet event and fought her way back.) Spunky Gabby Giffords is about the only politician I’m prepared to fill sorry for at this point…and I don’t think she’s seeking pity either!
Mrs. Romney…HOW DARE YOU THINK THAT you will go on television and tell me that you had miscarriages and that your son took it badly and that this will make me so sorry for poor Ann Romney that I will immediately love you, embrace you to my gullible bosom and FALL IN LOVE with your robotic husband!?
I much prefer LAURA BUSH. Laura Bush, like Michelle Obama, is likable. I suspect Laura Bush had a much harder time dealing with her errant husband and headstrong girls than Mrs. Romney ever did with her family. Laura Bush stood by her man, (a man I absolutely detested when George Bush was President) even when he was a drunk or “choked” on a pretzel. I like Bush W. better now largely because he’s been GRACIOUS since leaving office, unlike his moronic egomaniac of a Vice President, Dick Cheney.
I understand that Mrs. Romney needs to de-roboticize her husband. Make him likeable. But please, NOT by revealing personal family stuff. We don’t need to know about your miscarriages, especially as you have five, yes FIVE strapping sons. It would be different if:
- The Romney’s had no kids and now I learn they had several miscarriages…
- If Romney was running to be the head of some clinic that specializes in fertility treatments or providing support for families who can’t have babies…
- If Romney had even KNOWN about the part where his last son came home and had a tantrum or a mini breakdown because his mom lost a potential little brother or sister. BUT APPARENTLY ROMNEY DID NOT EVEN KNOW ABOUT THIS MINI DRAMA THAT UNFOLDED IN HIS OWN HOME UNTIL HIS WIFE CONTRIVED TO BLURT IT OUT ON TV. He did not even KNOW, (or so they claim) but it’s supposed to “humanize” him. Umm-hmm. I donated my wedding ring to charity. My husband does NOT know, but still, isn’t he a generous man?
Given that family’s propensity for CALCULATED actions by design, I find it hard to believe. I’m sure they probably REHEARSED that interview to death – what to ask, how to say it, what NOT to say, etc. But I’m cynical – so assuming HE REALLY DID NOT KNOW, he did not even look shocked.
NO “What? You never told me anything…darling!”
NO REACTION AT ALL. HIS WOODEN FACE REMAINS WOODEN – while his wife recounts how traumatized their young son was by learning his mom lost a baby – and then we, the viewers, have to embrace this unemotional Mitt Romney. He doesn’t even LOOK moved, but WE should be!!!
Hey Mr. Romney, next time: REACT! (If you can!!!)
The Romneys are one of those political families who will do anything, say anything, pretend to be anything to gain political office. NO wonder Massachusetts U.S. Senator, Romney’s fellow Republican Scott Brown (of the naked pictures in Cosmopolitan magazine) is avoiding the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Florida. Brown is not speaking. He will just drop in, touch and go. He’s been running so hard AWAY from Mitt Romney that he’s probably going to represent neighboring Connecticut by now…
NOTE TO POLITICIANS. I do NOT want to hear intimate details of your personal family life – especially if the SOLE purpose of releasing said details is to arouse my sympathies or shape my perception of you.
Now I am NOT uncaring of Mrs. Romney’s illness, having Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and losing her babies. Those are traumatic events and the family got through it intact. The Romneys appear to have a tight-knit family (I’ve said so before) and kudos to them. I admire that. I hope they stay that way. There are too many families who are fighting and tearing each other up and many of them even do so publicly.
But, when it comes to making Romney likable, please tell me about the time when a little Romney got into the fridge and he was all covered with honey and sprinkles and Mitt came in and fell down laughing! (OK. We’re never gonna hear that cause Mr. Uptight Mitt does not know how to laugh, but I can dream!)
Please don’t tell me anymore of your family secrets. It is CRINGE worthy because we know WHY you’re baring your soul and IT IS NOT PRETTY. Why NOW? Mitt has been running for political office for nearly 20 years.
- He ran for the U.S. senate against Ted Kennedy
- He ran for governor and served one term
- He has spent 8 years running for President
- Surely the Harold Melville & the Blue Notes song: “If you don’t know me by now, you will never, never, never know me…” should be Mitt Romney’s anthem?
SO HOW IS IT WE STILL DON’T KNOW MITT ROMNEY? WHY DO WE NEED TO HEAR THAT HIS WIFE HAD MISCARRIAGES FOR US TO UNDERSTAND HIM? See any red flags here?
Mrs. Romney, there are women across America, some extremely poor women, some just getting by, who also have miscarriages and were not lucky enough to carry ANY of their babies to term. So they have either adopted or remained childless. Some may even STILL be trying to get pregnant. And guess WHAT, they DO NOT have your resources/comfort behind them. Some may be on welfare or government healthcare. Some may even be fighting with their employers or insurance companies for time off or to get coverage for their health costs. Some women may be facing bankruptcy due to their health care bills.
Some of these woman do not have maids and housekeepers. They have to drag their sorry butt out of bed the next day to take care of business – maybe even go to work or lose their job.
Some of these women may not have as lovely or spacious or appealing places to live like you. They may live in rough, stressful neighborhoods. They may have no support – their spouse may not be loving or even present. Maybe he split or wasted what money there is on drugs and alcohol. Do you understand that, Mrs. Romney?
There are many women who are suffering from debilitating illnesses like cancer, or even MS, and have NO support system, nobody to take care of the kids, no household help, just maybe a social worker or a charity or concerned neighbors.
There are many, many women for whom life is hard, VERY hard, Mrs. Romney. Really hard, not contrived hard.
Nobody wants to be ill and nobody wants to lose babies. But I think most of us would rather choose to be rich (than poor) if we had to face illness or miscarriages. While the heartache is the same, it is multiplied when you are poor because you have to deal with so many OTHER issues…on top of those that come with the illness or miscarriages. Poor people can’t afford the same level of high-tech care…can’t afford to sit back and recuperate…or to dismiss chores and medical expenses.
I do not want any other presidential candidate or their wife to throw their family secrets at me and burden me with their emotional angst. I have enough of my own! Keep yours! Jacqueline Kennedy would have DIED before she went on TV talking about her philandering husband or her personal issues. We could have been SORRY for her, but she had something called Pride! Wanna know what that is? Ask Hillary Clinton. Go talk to your family, your friends, your pastor about your personal issues. The White House is NOT Hollywood or Reality TV.
So Michelle Obama, just in case you’re thinking of giving me details of your own miscarriages (I suppose you had some too?) PLEASE DON’T. I don’t care. I don’t care how many miscarriages you had or did not have. I don’t care if Sasha was depressed. I don’t care about any of this crap except:
- Are you going to reform immigration?
- Are you going to REPEAL health care for all?
- Are you going to extend the 2-year Deferred Action for Immigrant Kids that President Obama signed?
- Are we really able to haul China before the World Trade Organization with no harm to us?
- Are you going to appoint a judge who will help the Supreme court overturn Roe vs. Wade?
- Are you going to trim the deficit?
- Are you going to invest in clean energy or continue to champion oil, gas and coal?
- Are you going to cut programs for the poor?
- Are you going to bomb Iran?
- How are you going to stimulate the economy?
- Will you keep cutting taxes?
- Will you slap regulations on big banks, Wall Street, student loan companies?
- How fertile are you? Not Applicable.
Republicans pretend to inclusive by seating delegates from black populations like the US Virgin Islands and the Marianas (hey, do you think Romney has stashed some millions there?) UP FRONT so the camera can pan on them to show how diverse Republicans ARE when these delegates don’t even VOTE in the U.S elections! How diverse is their delegation from Arizona? Phu-leese.
I just choose Arizona at random, OK. Maybe most of the Republican delegates are Hispanic – those who still remain in that state – because these Hispanics can walk around with a U.S. Passport to show police when they are stopped for LOOKING illegal?
So did ANN Romney convince you to love Mitt? I’m practically drooling. Two minutes into New Jersey governor Chris Christie’s speech, he IS already MORE believable!!! Don’t necessarily agree with everything he says – but HE’S REAL! She spoke about Love, TOUTED love. Now Christie says we seem have become paralyzed by our desire to be loved. Ahem.
Now all I need is a couple boxes of tissues – for Mitt’s big speech.