Remember the Mysterious Case of The Missing Romney emails, when he left as governor of Massachusetts?
It was legal for the Romney administration to spend $97,000 in public money to swap out computers and email servers, making sure that emails never got into the hands of the public, journalists, historians and, not incidentally as Romney himself points out, his opponents in the 2012 presidential campaign.
Reuters: “In the final weeks of Mitt Romney’s term as Massachusetts governor, his office sought and received permission to destroy 150 boxes of paper records of his tenure, according to documents obtained by Reuters.”
Remember too when Romney refused to release his tax returns?
MSNBC: …for a second-straight debate, Romney struggled to explain why he hasn’t yet released his tax returns. When he was asked why he won’t release his taxes now, Romney gave this striking answer: Because I want to win. “I want to make sure that I beat President Obama. And every time we release things drip by drip, the Democrats go out with another array of attacks.” (Just asking, but doesn’t that suggest there’s something there?
If he’s worried about attacks, then there is something to hide, right?) Romney also looked uncomfortable when he was told that his father released 12 years of his taxes in 1967. Folks, this issue isn’t going away. And whenever these tax returns come out — if they do — Romney and his campaign team have now guaranteed it to be a BIG moment in the GOP race. And it’s an unforced error by the campaign.
READ the story. LISTEN to the video.
Romney was FORCED to release his tax returns.
Washington Post: Mitt Romney’s tax returns (story) shed some light on his investment wealth
- Mitt Romney offered a partial snapshot of his vast personal fortune late Monday, disclosing income of $21.7 million in 2010 and $20.9 million last year — virtually all of it profits, dividends or interest from investments.
None came from wages, the primary source of income for most Americans. Instead, RRomney and his wife, Ann, collected millions in capital gains from a profusion of investments, as well as stock dividends and interest payments.
- Romney released his tax returns — nearly 550 pages, including the 2010 returns for three family trust funds and a foundation — in a bid to regain his footing in the Republican Presidential campaign after stumbling badly in last weekend’s South Carolina Primary.
In recent days, Romney’s GOP rivals have pressed him to make his returns public, arguing that it is critical for the public to vet his finances before the party settles on its nominee. The revelation that Romney pays a significantly lower tax rate than most wealthy Americans underscores his image as a multimillionaire financier, an image that some Republicans believe would hurt his chances in the general election.
- Pages and pages are devoted to foreign entities in which Romney is invested. Many are located in places like Luxembourg, Ireland and the Cayman Islands, all famous tax havens. None shows much income.
Monday’s disclosure marked the first time the former Massachusetts governor has released his personal tax returns. Though Romney has relied on his wealth to finance his political career, he did not disclose his tax returns in his three prior campaigns — not even in the 1994 Senate race, when he blasted Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) for failing to release his own taxes.
Did you WONDER WHY Romney fought so hard to keep his tax returns secret?
Nicholas Shaxson delves into the murky world of offshore finance, revealing loopholes that allow the very wealthy to skirt tax laws, and investigating just how much of Romney’s fortune (with $30 million in Bain Capital funds in the Cayman Islands alone?)
One internet site describes Grand Cayman as the: “Home and holiday playground of the rich and famous” where you will find palatial multi-million-dollar beach condos and villas owned by the world’s rich and famous.
(If you have THE MINIMUM REQUIRED $80-100 thousand-dollars lying around and want to stash it off-shore or you’re just curious, pretend to be Mitt Romney. Visit the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority.) If the link is broken, visit their website at: http://www.cimoney.com.ky/about_cima/default.aspx?id=34 or just Google them.
- Romney’s Bermuda company and other offshore accounts do not show up on any of Romney’s financial disclosures as a candidate for Governor, as Governor, or his disclosures in the 2008 and 2012 presidential campaigns.
- Romney was not only hiding assets in Bermuda, he was also hiding the fact his Bermuda company Sankaty High Yield Asset Investors Ltd. and Romney made millions investing in Stericycle a medical waste company that disposed of “abortion waste” from clinics and hospitals.
- Evangelical Christians and Catholics believe that “abortion waste” is human remains and should be buried, not disposed of like used bandages or syringes. They also deplore anyone who profits from abortions in any form.
- AP reports that Sankaty High Yield Asset Investors Ltd. “was not listed on any of Romney’s state or federal financial reports. The company is among several Romney holdings that have not been fully disclosed, including one that recently posted a $1.9 million earning – suggesting he could be wealthier than the nearly $250 million estimated by his campaign.”
Sankaty was transferred to a trust owned by Romney’s wife, Ann, one day before he was sworn in as Massachusetts governor in 2003, according to Bermuda records obtained by The Associated Press. The Romney’s’ ownership of the offshore firm did not appear on any state or federal financial reports during Romney’s two presidential campaigns. Only the Romney’s’ 2010 tax records, released under political pressure earlier this year, confirmed their continuing control of the company.
- His limited disclosures deprive the public of an accurate depiction of his wealth and a clear understanding of how his assets are handled and taxed.
- This story is not likely to go away until Romney releases his tax returns and answers questions about what those returns reveal. The average American does not feel warm and fuzzy when they pay their taxes and then see rich guys avoid taxes by taking money out of our economy and putting it in offshore accounts.
- Report: Romney made millions from investing in abortion related firm: Romney and his partners made $49 million in profits from that investment, in the medical waste disposal company: Stericycle.
As a flaming liberal elitist, I was thinking of coming around to YOUR side. I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt. Yes, I wanted to believe in “No, We Cannot”…
But I notice that you voted for a candidate who:
- Does NOT subscribe to the religion that you hold so dear. Now you hate Obama because according to YOU he’s a Muslim (among other things), BUT you now have a Mormon who believes that in 1820, at age 14, Joseph Smith. Jr, (Mormon Church founder), experienced his first vision, in which he was visited in person by God, the Eternal Father, and his Son Jesus Christ. (I don’t believe that, or some things in the Bible. Have not read Koran) and that is OK.
- And it could be TRUE. Thing is: Do Republican conservatives believe it? If you want to talk religion, between the Koran, the Bible and the Book of Mormon, WHICH are the most similar?
- Supports Abortion Rights when it suits his interests.
- Supports Immigration Reform when it suits his interests
- Believes in Global Warming when it supports his interests. (Believes it in his 2010 book: ‘No Apology’, but now is skeptical, no longer sure
- Implemented UNIVERSAL Health Care Reform (with a MANDATE which is now a TAX) and signed it with praise from Ted Kennedy, who was standing behind his shoulder. My Precious!
- And now we learn he made millions, yes millions, from investing in abortion waste disposal. Yes conservatives, YOU believe abortion waste is human remains and should be buried. Romney believes he should bury something alright – HIS PROFITS, in off-shore accounts around the globe!
Oh you got seduced by the glamour? Hey, we did too in Massachusetts, FOR A WHILE! Awww…don’t feel so bad…
- How are you going to VOTE FOR ROMNEY, ELECT HIM…then come preach to ME about how much you care about life when you elect, hug, kiss, embrace and defend someone who profits so much from the destruction of life?
- How are you going to VOTE FOR ROMNEY, ELECT HIM…then come try to convince to ME that you don’t like mandates.
Now I am confused. Are you saying that if I interchange “mandate” with abortion in a Massachusetts context, but limit it ONLY to Massachusetts, then abortion is fine?
How can you preach ONE thing, then compromise your beliefs in the interest of political and personal gain?
I’m afraid that I can’t stomach this type of hypocrisy. What would Jesus do? Would Jesus be pleased by this example that you are setting – with the ambassadors that you are? I don’t think so. Do you?
Are you worried at all about what the new Chapter is going to be in the Book of Romney!?
Has Santorum contacted you? Have you contacted him…? Do you remember that comment that hey, with a guy like Romney, best just vote Obama? What do you think about that now?
I’m sorry. But this is the bed you made….and I can’t lie (unintended pun) in it with you.
Want to see how the 1-percenters live? Check the photos on my HOME Page: CASTILLO CARIBE -a 60 million dollar home on Grand Cayman. How about it Mr. Romney. You could buy four of them! Obama, the elitist, could buy one-sixtieth (1/60) of one, maybe…